- advertisement -

Football

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by hawkeyegirl, Jul 12, 2011.

1. BrendaK

BrendaK Neonatal Diabetes Registry

Carson played tackle football for the first time last year. It went much better than I thought. He took his pump off for everything, but never for more than 2 hours -- really, the practices and games are not that long.

We found that he went low for practices, so we made sure he had gatorade. And he went high for games because of the adreneline. Sometimes we'd hook him up at halftime and give a correction.

He ate dinner after evening practices and we'd just bolus as normal. It really was too rough to wear the pump and he was adamant about not wearing it. The pants are tight and there's not a good spot to wear it. Even in a spibelt the tubing would be at high risk of being ripped out. Not worth the risk for a 2 hour practice/game.

2. Mom264

Mom264 Approved members

I can't believe I have something to add to this thread. . . but I do!

A few years ago a college football player with T1D came and spoke at a support group we attend. He said a few things about pumping and football that really stuck out to me.

1. He didn't disconnect at practices or during games because, he said, it just toook too long to get underneath all the clothes and padding to reconnect during breaks -- if he needed to bolus. He just suspended the pump (weird --because the beeping would drive me crazy, I would probably opt for a temp rate instead.)

2. (Brace yourself) At that time I think he was on his fourth pump, because well several had well --"been destoyed" is the phrase I may have heard-- after he was tackled.

3. (on a brighter note) They were replaced right away!

Not sure how this translates for first graders, these University players are big.

3. Tigerlilly's mom

Tigerlilly's mom Approved members

OUCH!!!:eek: No wonder Tyler refuses to wear his pump while playing football!

thanks for sharing:cwds:

4. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

Wow, this advice seems really risky to me (not from you, for him to have shared). Having your pump 'destroyed" during a game means that at some point you are no longer getting insulin then you are dependent on ??? until a replacement comes...going MDI, starting Lantus, etc. Just seems like bad advice to me when it's truly not that hard to disconnect before the game and give a quick shot of replacement basal mid game. I can see where it may be laborious to reconnect, but why not just have a syringe ready with 1 unit or whatever an hour of basal adds up to and inject that an hour into practice/games.

I just find it sort of irresponsible to destroy a pump and expect it to be replaced over and over again. I wouldn't want my son to think that's good responsible behavior. I want him to have a bit more respect for his equipment.

Please understand I am not directing that at you...but at that player. For me it sort of illustrates the throw away mentality of this generation. And that bothers me.

5. Mom264

Mom264 Approved members

Sorry-- this was not my intention at all. I don't think he was irresponsible. I think he was just doing his thing. (Remember he was college age.) And he wasn't giving advice, he was just answering questions.

And, I'm not sure how much of this was exagerated. (I never saw a wrecked pump.) He was an upbeat, delightful, really well-adjusted kid, who enjoyed talking to us and answering questions. The kids (and we parents) loved him.

He did not go into how long the replacement took or what he did in the interim. But, you bring up such good points, though. Probably not a good idea, even if it worked for him.:( Sorry about that!

6. Marie4Julia

Marie4Julia Approved members

If you disconnect for the length of a game, you aren't getting insulin either. So he stays hooked up, and gets his insulin, on the off chance that his pump breaks, he has to go to lantus for the night.

I don't think it's irresponsible advice. It works for him - some people aren't able to disconnect and simply replace their basal with a shot of fast acting.

7. Tigerlilly's mom

Tigerlilly's mom Approved members

I read in another thread that football has begun...how is it going? :cwds:

I didn't want to hijack!:p

8. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Really, pretty well! Diabetes-wise, no big issues yet. I had to reduce all of his basals after the first night, as it was clear that the rather strenuous nature of practice was pulling his BG down around the clock. They only practice (only!) M-TH, so it will be interesting to see if his basals need to be ramped back up for F-Sun or not. So far he's worn his pump, but today was the first day with full pads. So far, I'm not worried about it, but that may change as they increase contact.

Football-wise, he's pretty clueless. He's kind of a ding-a-ling anyway, and is more liable to be thinking about snakes or Jedis or Legos than what his coach is saying, but he is putting forth some pretty good effort, and that's what really counts in my eyes, especially at this level. Tonight they did a drill where he was the ball carrier and he ran the wrong way when the defender came after him, which was pretty cute. I mean it makes sense - why would you run TOWARD the guy who is trying to knock you down?! :p

But he seems to like it, and his coaches are pretty great. They're tough on the boys, but good with them too. They realize that they're 7 & 8 year olds, and have a sense of humor about the whole thing.

That's probably more than you wanted to know, but thanks for asking! :)

9. Mary Lou

Mary Lou Approved members

Hey you! I'm back. Needed to be away.

Brian is in his second year of football.

He disconnects for practices and games. He gets a shot of Regular Humalin 20 minutes before. It is a mid-range insulin, acts for 5 hours. We add up the basal for 5 hours and give him 50% in Humalin. Then disconnect and send a Vitamin water, which he sips throughout. Also send water.

For two hour practices, he tests and texts the BG at 1 hour. At the end of two hour practices, he re-hooks at 50% for the next 2 hours.

correct gently. Bolus normally.

For us, this works like a charm. We don't have highs during practice, or lows b/c of V-water, and never have late-night spikes from being unhooked.

Check with endo. This has been a Godsend for us.

Nice to see you here, again.

Best.

I hardly ever stay for practices. There are 2 per day for 2 hours each. The coaches are aware. They all have my cell number and one coach is an EMT.