- advertisement -

football parents

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by sam1nat2, Aug 17, 2010.

1. sam1nat2

sam1nat2 Approved members

How are things with your D children now that football has started???

As for us, we are doing great:D
    Over a year ago we started using Lantus for part of his basal. It has evolved and right now we are at about 75% basal through Lantus. Little did I realize how helpful that would be with football!! He has a snack/meal before practice and boluses accordingly. He removes pump for practice which is easily 21/2 hours. Comes home and is around 200.

Our coach is wonderful:D He has made it his mission to help find a cure for D. He is very involved in the D community and is working with a Dr at Barbara Davis to help fund his research. No answer other than he knows too many people with D and wants to find a cure--no family members with it.

Our assistant assistant coach no other than dh;) The head assistant has had CWD on his high school teams:D The other assistant, well his dd has a friend with D who also pumps and is at their house for sleepovers often, so he too gets it!!

2. BrendaK

BrendaK Neonatal Diabetes Registry

I will be a football parent when practice begins next week :eek:

Carson ran high during a football camp this summer, so the endo said to give 25% of the missed basal up front and then 50% after practice (for a total of 75%). We'll see how that works. DH is going to be a volunteer assistant coach thank goodness.

I thought he would be low during camp, but I think the adreneline plus the pump being off really hit him.

3. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

Wow, that's awesome that you have such a great support team on the field. I'd say we're still feeling our way, and while things are going better, I can't say that it's easy or that we know exactly what to do yet!

First of all, it's plain HOT here, so it's always hard to predict how his body will react on any given day. First week of practice I was prepared to battle lows, and was armed for that...had him sip gaterade throughout, sent him in a bit high, etc. Well, that entire first week he played so high he was miserable. Second week we took out the gaterade and sent him into practice at a lower number (120) than I would have thought was OK, with no fastacting on board. This has been the answer in that he stays lovely throughout. Some days he chooses to eat some PB crackers on the way and start closer to 150, but all in all without the gaterade he stays pretty level, though he still edges up throughout. His CDE said she sees this a lot, with the release of cortisol and hormones BG rises.

But yeah, then we see night time lows! He's not correcting at all for the highs, and is conservative with his night time bolus, but he does tend to drop into the 80's (not low but he likes to be a bit higher while sleeping) and he's had a few mid 60's at 2am.

We've not had to change any of his dosages except the dinner bolus, he's taking less as a rule, lantus and daytime boluses are constant. He's decided to delay the pump until after football, just too much to learn at once.

Scrimmage went GREAT, his numbers looked awesome and he only tested a few times (in practice he tests a gazillion times, we're going through strips like candy), he felt steady and didn't feel like he needed to test. So I am feeling more confident about games now.

Coaches, eh. Hit and miss there. The head coach spouts support but is clearly clueless and his eyes glaze over if you try to explain anything. One of the assistants listened and took my info sheet but I don't feel confident that he really gets it (but his night to coach is my carpool night, so I am always there that night). The other coach is my hero! He loves my son like he were his own, makes deep eye contact with him throughout practice and assesses him regularly, jokes and goofs with him (hey dude let's go get high, are you low right now??), and I know he's got his back, and he and his wife go out of their way to keep him safe. He's my carpool partner so when I'm not there, he is.

All in all it's going well, still trying to find the balance but feeling more confident.

4. sam1nat2

sam1nat2 Approved members

lets go get high, only a parent of a CWD can laugh at that one!! I'm going to use that and see if Sam gets that, although I'm not so sure others would find the humor in it;)

5. ctmom

ctmom Approved members

flying solo as usual

My son is older- high school and not on the pump but football like other sports he plays is like a roller coaster ride some days. We play the adjustment game trying to adjust insulin based on his number and trying to prevent the lows during the night- we have learned from very lows of 40-50 following hard practices to be careful about our adjustment for those adreline highs. So fortunate are you to have one coach that cares and is in tune with your son to keep an eye on him not even the trainer has spoken to my son in the two years he has played for his high school. He loves sports and like your boys knows how to take care of himself and I am fortunate that his is old enough to be able to do be so independent.

6. Tigerlilly's mom

Tigerlilly's mom Approved members

First year pumping and playing football, BUT Tyler had decided to go untethered for the summer months and will continue doing so throughout football season.

Tyler has had the same football coaches since he started playing football four years ago, so they know him and he is friends with the coaches kids so they also see him off the field. Which is great! I am now at the point where I feel comfortable dropping him off at practice and returning to pick up at the end,or even having someone else give him a ride home;). It took a long time getting here, but it sure is great!

During the first week of practice he had some lows a couple hours after practice, but his body has seemed to adjusted to football and he stays pretty good now.

Next week, hockey starts, so another sport for his body to adjust too again:rolleyes:

7. MTMomma

MTMomma Approved members

Hey to all you with kids playing football. DS played Little Guy for several years. He is not playing this season because his team just finished a great baseball run to regionals of Little League World Series. In ways I will miss football and in other ways will welcome the break.

Football was easier for D management for us than baseball. (Seemed like a little more time on he sidelines to check and treat. Though I must say the practices can be tough for football.)Gatorade is the ticket for all the sports DS plays. Sipping on that works wonders.

We had a football coach that we loved two years ago. Thought he really "got it" when it came to D. Saw him recently and he asked about our son saying "How is his asthma?" I asked did he seem diabetes. "Oh that, and how does someone get it?" So much for the level of knowledge I thought was there but yet another opportunity to educate. It's a never ending task... that educating. :)