- advertisement -

Food Scale Recs?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by destea1, Jan 5, 2012.

1. destea1

destea1 Approved members

We want to get on the ball and get a scale in the house... a little overwhelmed by the choices and I'm not really sure what features I should be looking for... do you guys have one you love? Any you hated? Thanks for any insight!

2. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

I will make this really simple for you. Salter 1450. Just do it. :cwds:

3. JaxDad

JaxDad Approved members

The one we have is relatively basic, it has a stainless platter, and reads in grams or ounces. It is by OXO, purchased at Bed, Bath and Beyond. It works fine for us. We add plate, zero, add food weigh, rezero, add different food, weigh, etc.

A lot of folks love the Salter Scale which has a database of foods and will tell you the exact number of carbs, cals, fat, fibre, etc.
    I don't know if it can add up a plate of multiple foods. I have seen it but don't have it.

We also had the Taylor scale, glass platter. It didn't last much over a year.

4. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

You know we have this one and find it to have been a great help, but I keep reading that it's been discontinued. Wonder if they have a "new and improved":rolleyes: scale out now?

5. JaxDad

JaxDad Approved members

6. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Good! It is a great scale. Ours has served us well, and I'd buy it again.;)

7. ashtensmom

ashtensmom Approved members

We now have two (just got the Salter 1450 on sale via Costco). Tried the Salter and it seems to work great. I love the fact that you dont have to look up a code. However, we also have "Perfect Portions" nutritional scale that we have been using for the past 8 months and love it too. It uses a code book but the thing I love about it is that it is the size of an iPad (but thicker) so I take it with us when we go out to eat and it fits perfectly in an iPad sleeve. Now, I plan to use the salter 1450 at home and the Perfect Portions when we go out.

8. destea1

destea1 Approved members

Haha Christopher, ok I'm going to just do it then! I do like the idea of the one you mentioned for going out/traveling too ashtensmom - maybe I'll pick up both. I have a 'laundry list' of things we're getting for D-related stuff around here. May as well get it all done at once if I can :) Thanks for the recs!

9. lisamustac

lisamustac Approved members

Salter 1450 worth every penny :)

10. Caldercup

Caldercup Approved members

I'm another one who loves the Salter 1450.

One recommendation: don't use rechargeable batteries in it. It chews through them pretty quickly. Regular batteries last much longer.