- advertisement -

Food scale recommendation???

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by giddyup_go, Jun 13, 2016.

1. giddyup_go

giddyup_go Approved members

When Liz was first diagnosed in December of 2008, I learned a ton here. One of the great things I learned about was the Salter Scale. We went through 2 of them, and she's a pro at carb counting now (after 7 1/2 years). But I'd like to get a new scale. Not only for but also for my boyfriend who is learning to carb counting and will be getting a pump soon. What does everyone recommend? I found this one on Amazon https://www.amazon.com/Kitrics-Digit...s=salter+scale But I'm not sure if it's as good as the Salter Scale was.

2. Lakeman

Lakeman Approved members

We got the Perfect Portions at Bed Bath and Beyond presently priced at $39. After a few years the buttons on it broke so that one could not enter data. I called the company and they had me send it back for a refurbished replacement free of charge. About a year later the buttons on that one broke so you have to push real hard and repeatedly to enter data. Of course the only need to enter data is if you want to use the fancy display that shows all the facts for your food in the same layout as a nutrition label. How often do you need to know the fat or salt content of your food? It comes with a booklet with codes for most items you might want to weigh - that's good before you have memorized enough carb factors. If you just want to know how much something weighs you don't have to enter any data. I have no doubt that the company would send me one to replace that one too I just haven't gotten around to it. Anyway, they have a good replacement policy, it cleans up easily, and 90% of the time the plate does not cover the display too much. Overall a great scale. We have a back-up scale that was pretty cheap at the supermarket. It does the job just fine but for whatever reason the kids never use it.

In general what you want is a scale that is accurate and easy to use and where the plate does not cover the display. Scales that have lifted the plate up an inch or so do a better job of letting you see the display when a plate is on it. They are also bulkier and harder to travel with or store in the cabinet. It is nice but not needed to have a scale that calculates the carbs for you. As far as I know all scales measure in both grams and oz. You want to be able to measure both grams and oz. You also want to be able to weigh something then add to your plate and weigh something else. And you want a scale that does not turn off while you are weighing something over the course of a few minutes. My scale goes up to ten pounds - rarely do I want to weigh more than ten pounds but that would be nice for when you are making a pan of lasagna or something.

The spring loaded scales where the needles goes around are just not accurate enough. And the scales with a built in bowl are not what you want. I usually hear people recommend the salter.

3. Mimikins

Mimikins Approved members

4. tom_ethansdad

tom_ethansdad Approved members

We have the Kitrics, have had it for almost six years, and it has served us extremely well.

5. quiltinmom

quiltinmom Approved members

We also use the perfect portions scale and it works for us. We had to have one replaced early on (something about one of the "feet" on the bottom, but bb&b replaced it under warranty) but the one we have now has worked just fine for years. We don't use it as often now, probably once a week at most, but it's good to have. Batteries last a long time. We use the codes some times, carb factors sometimes. It's nice to have the option.

Hope this helps. :)

6. Caldercup

Caldercup Approved members

Because my household is gluten-free, I make my own GF flour blend and weigh everything I bake. Sadly, I went through two of the Salter scales in the last eight years, and they no longer make them.

I can't say enough good things about the OXO Good Grips 11 lb Food Scale with Pull Out Display. (I actually own the larger capacity one because we weigh large batches.)

https://www.amazon.com/OXO-Grips-St...ay/dp/B000WJMTNA?ie=UTF8&tag=atkequippilot-20

It's also the America's Test Kitchen's pick for digital scales.

7. wilf

wilf Approved members

What's wrong with the good old Salter?

8. rgcainmd

rgcainmd Approved members

No longer available. Believe me, I tried!