- advertisement -

Flying with insulin

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Scoutjr, Apr 21, 2011.

1. Scoutjr

Scoutjr Approved members

My husband needs to fly with an unopned vial of my son's Novolog tomorrow, what does he need to do at the airport? Will security give him a problem? Thanks!

2. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Lots of threads on this that you might want to look at, but in short, no, no problem. ;) Best if you keep it in the prescription box, but we've flown with it out of the box as well.

3. Scoutjr

Scoutjr Approved members

THanks! I should have searched first. Sorry

4. Sarah Maddie's Mom

No, I didn't mean that. I just meant that you might not get a ton of info since we've talked about it quite a bit in the past and folks might not be so quick to reply. ;)

5. obtainedmist

obtainedmist Approved members

We just put the vial in the plastic quart bag with the rest of the "liquids". I keep the box with the script on it just in case but that and her travel letter from the endo has never been asked for.

6. zuzinka

zuzinka Approved members

we have always full carry suitcase with D stuff(insulin, needles, juices..). We carry a letter from a doctor stating that dd is diabetic and never had any problems.

7. Abby-Dabby-Doo

Abby-Dabby-Doo Approved members

We're flying on Saturday- I called the Endo and his office faxed me a letter (thanks for the reminder;)).
    You should have no problems with TSA if you have a letter from a physican.

8. Scribe

Scribe Approved members

I'm in the middle of a 10-day journey with stops in three cities. I have one open vial and one full vial, both out of the box. I put them in a baggie with two cannisters of strips, dump it in my bag and off I go. I don't declare them and never pull with with liquids. Nor do I have a letter from my doctor. (It's fine to get one if you want; I've never needed one in 35 years of travel.)
    I have never been stopped or questioned.
    The point is ... there's lots of variability so whatever you decide to do is more likely than not to be fine.

9. McKenna'smom

McKenna'smom Approved members

We don't have a letter from our endo and we have never had any issues going through security. We just put DD's supplies in our carry on, tell the TSA agent that we are travelling with a diabetic, and we sail through. If you don't have a letter, don't worry about getting one. TSA allows medications through security and have a list of diabetes supplies that are allowed.

www.tsa.gov

10. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

when we flew I kept all d stuff together and in original boxes with the prescription label on it.. they can't take it if its got the prescription on it. We had no trouble in insulin, syringes, meter etc.. one TSA lady wanted to take her EMLA cream because it was over the 4oz, but it had her prescription on it so she couldn't (she told me she really wanted to take it, but she couldn't..). We also had a dr. note but never had the need to show it.

11. Sarah Maddie's Mom

We did have one funny/absurd experience. Flying out of Heathrow last summer we were flagged for what felt like an extra level of search. The agent is unpacking a carry on with D stuff and he's ok with the insulin etc but takes the 4 oz juice boxes. I put up a half hearted protest ( knowing full well that I had others stashed here and there and tabs too) he tells me that I just need a prescription label on the juice box and it would be A-ok. :rolleyes: Not a note prescribing the juice box but an actual prescription label ... as in, directions for use, "Insert straw, sip. Take as needed for low glucose" :p