- advertisement -

Flying with Diabetes

Discussion in 'Teens' started by lulu, Jun 4, 2008.

1. lulu

lulu Approved members

Hey everyone!

Friday I am going to be flying a airplane! Except I am a little nervouse flying with Diabetes and forgetting something... any advice?

Megan

2. s0ccerfreak

s0ccerfreak Approved members

Make a list of everything you will need- take twice as much as you think you'll need. Get a letter from your endo listing of your supplies and that says the must remain with you at all times. Where are you flying?

3. lulu

lulu Approved members

We are flying to Arizona! Thanks So Much!

Have you ever flown anywhere with Diabetes?
    Not like we are different people or anything, we just can't forget anything! :]]

Megan

4. rachabetic

rachabetic Approved members

I have flown many times! The seccurity has never even asked about the needles, pump supplies or anything else. Make sure that you bring most or all of your supplies on carry on with you. Just in case your baggage is lost, you will still have your D supplies. Have fun!

5. lulu

lulu Approved members

Oh yeah, I forgot to ask a question! How do you fly with your Insulin or what do you do with the stuff that has to be refridgerated? Do you just bring a cooler? Thanks So Much!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Megan :]]

6. s0ccerfreak

traveling with insulin: how long are you going to be gone?
    I flew to Ecuador last year and had no problems inside the US. We told the first TSA person that i was diabetic, wearing and insulin pump, and carrying my supplies and they didnt care and said they didnt need to know.
    Are you on a pump or MDI?
    -make sure you have prescription labels on the insulin
    -inslulin and juice for lows do not count in the quart bag and may be larger than 3oz
    -print out info from the TSA website incase of problems
    -wear a traditional medic-alert bracelet

7. lulu

lulu Approved members

Okay, no I am not on a pump so you just brought all of your insulin on the airplane and then refridgerated it when you got there? Thanks, that is so much help!!!!

Megan

8. karpoozi123

karpoozi123 Approved members

I recently flew, and I was so nervous, because it was my first time since diabetes. I really shouldn't have worried though.
    My flight was really short (about an hour) so refrigeration wasn't a problem, but if you are worried about it, take your insukin those cooler bags (frio I think they're called?).

It's funny cuz I was so worried how I would make it through security....
    In the end the only thing that I had a problem with was non diabetes related! They rechecked my backpack because they said it had so much electronics in it. LOL! It's not for nothing they call me a gadget freak! :p

And remember: Enjoy your trip!

9. lulu

lulu Approved members

Well that is really good to know! It makes me feel a lot better!!!! :]]]]

10. s0ccerfreak

Insulin does not have to be refrigerated once opened- its good for 30 days after opening when at room temp. I just put it in my carry-on, I did refrigerate it when I got to Ecuador because of the heat.

11. dGirl

dGirl Approved members

I flew to Europe a few weeks ago and I was so scared I was going to forget something and then I was like 300 on the plane IDK why we slept on it and I guess I just got weirded by the plane. plus the food was weird and I undershot because I din't want to get low on a 9 hour plane.

12. ehm1989

ehm1989 Approved members

I fly frequently from Florida (home) to Chicago (college) which is 2 1/2 hours. The only problem I've had is the security guards asking me to take my cell phone out of my pocket, only for them to discover that it is an insulin pump! I've never had any issue with not refridgerating insulin. However, I am leaving in a week for Japan, and the 13 hour flight may make things tricky... I will prob bring a refridgerated bag or lunchbox-type thing, also because we may not always have a fridge available...

13. someone

someone Approved members

I have flown national and international many times with all of my diabetes stuff in my carry on bag. Security has never said anything. Occasionally, my pump will set off the alarm and they wand me down, but that's it. No need to get a letter from your endo, just make sure you have everything for the trip.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2008
  14. sarah[:

sarah[: Approved members

question; is it hard to fly with the pump? i mean, does security stop you or anything?

15. s0ccerfreak

Not at all. If you're worried, wear a medic alert bracelet, carry a letter from your endo, and wear a loose shirt that will cover your pump. (endo's idea)

16. sarah[:

sarah[: Approved members

oh, okay. thanks [:

17. someone

someone Approved members

Worst case, it sets off the metal detector and they make you hold it while they wand you down.