- advertisement -

Fluffy pancakes

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Megnyc, Nov 12, 2013.

1. Megnyc

Megnyc Approved members

Does anyone know a recipe for low carb (or more complex carb) pancakes that results in fluffy pancakes?

We make pancakes for dinner every Tuesday and my low carb pancakes are always very sad looking. I can't really eat normal pancakes because they result in really crazy sustained highs for some reason :confused:

2. 3kidlets

3kidlets Approved members

I sub out 1/4 cup of the white flour for almond flour. They are delicious. But if you google almond flour pancakes, I'm sure there are some great recipes. Mine are fluffy but for this particular recipe, I think it's the amount of baking powder.

3. 3kidlets

3kidlets Approved members

4. quiltinmom

quiltinmom Approved members

I make whole wheat pancakes that turn out very light and delicious. From memory, hope I get it right, this is what I do:

2 cups whole wheat flour
    1/4 cup sugar
    1 tsp salt
    1 tbsp baking powder
    4 tbsp oil or applesauce (or half and half)*
    3 eggs, separated
    2 cups milk

Mix dry ingredients, then add milk, oil, egg yolks. Whip egg whites until foamy (soft peaks). Gently fold in egg whites. Cook and enjoy. :)

i don't always separate eggs. Most of the time i just mix them In whole and they aren't quite as fluffy, but they are still very good.

The only difference I notice between using applesauce and oil is that without oil they stick to the pan a tiny bit more but it's not bad.
    So they aren't exactly low carb but maybe the whole wheat will help.

Another thing you might try is a recipe for oatmeal pancakes. They are usually heavier and I don't know how they'll do for spikes, but its something different.

Have you tried spreading peanut butter on them? I wonder if that would help with the spike.

Good luck! :)

5. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

You can also try adding in seltzer for some of the liquid.
    I made Belgian waffles once that called for it to increase the rise.

6. moco89

moco89 Approved members

Here are some fluffy, low-carb pancakes, using coconut flour...

http://alldayidreamaboutfood.com/2012/04/light-and-fluffy-coconut-flour-pancakes-low-carb-and-gluten-free.html

Make sure to read the comments:

"I've read that different coconut flour brands vary quite a bit in fiber content, by as much as 50%! Some cheaper, less reputable manufacturers will resort to this cheap "trick." Even if you watch your carbs, you don't want to go with one too high in fiber, else it will no longer behave like flour. A "typical" good quality coconut flour will have in the neighborhood of 1.5-2 carbs per tablespoon, roughly speaking. If you see some with one carb or less per tablespoon, you mostly have coconut fiber, which is fine -for the right application, but probably not for these delicious pancakes! Just my observation, based on trial and error(s!). Hope this helps. "

These are the recipes of Canadian pastry chef who went low-carb to lose weight and has all of these low-carb recipes for sweets. However, her webpage is no longer available on the Internet (she didn't want to pay hosting fees), but the recipes are generally available via archive.org.

She had lots of success with coconut flour, in general with her "sweets" recipes. Almond flour (on second page--very useful cooking reference sheet) is the least carb dense out of most of the flours, though. I would recommend using coconut flour.

7. Mish

Mish Approved members

pancakes are a sign of the debil around here.

8. missmakaliasmomma

missmakaliasmomma Approved members

I make almond flour pancakes for my daughter every morning. With only a 20 minute prebolus, she doesn't spike more than probably 30 points more than what she started at. They are awesome. I don't follow the recipe completely because it calls for either baking powder/soda (not sure which one adds to "fluffing" and seltzer too. I don't use the seltzer or baking powder so they're not fluffy. When people put recipes online, usually people can comment with what they've done to change it a little and I'm sure that includes them being more fluffy.

We add vanilla extract and cinnamon.

I came on here this morning to post a thread about almond flour v coconut flour because coconut flour is cheaper but seems to have the same net carbs.. how weird.

9. coeen

coeen Approved members

I have made the almond pancakes from the nourishinghome website.
    They are great. My kids love them and my t1 kid does not spike at all from them. I have also made the pumpkin almond pancakes from that site too.
    The key is whipping up the egg whites. I also substituted the maple syrup with sugar free syrup. They take some time to make so I make them at night and freeze them so we can eat them for breakfast.
    Good luck!!!

10. missmakaliasmomma

missmakaliasmomma Approved members

Gotta try the pumpkin!.. how long do yours take?? Mine only take a couple minutes to prepare, then about 8 minutes to cook.

11. Megnyc

Megnyc Approved members

Thanks! I'm going to try a few things out this weekend.

12. KellersMom517

KellersMom517 Approved members

realsustenance.com has some AMAZING baked goods and most are grain free and low carb. She is incredible at getting the right textures and tastes into things without traditional ingredients!

13. Lizzy731

Lizzy731 Approved members

Ricotta cheese pancakes!

Makes 6 3 1/2 to 4" pancakes

3 tbs flour
    2 tsp sugar
    1 tsp baking powder
    2 eggs
    1/2 cup ricotta (use a brand that has the least amount of water)
    1/4 tsp vanilla
    Pinch salt

Mix dry and wet ingredients separately and then whisk together making sure no lumps. It's best to whisk the eggs and ricotta first to get rid of the lumps so you don't over mix with the flour.

These are a little under 6 carbs each for 6 pancakes and my kids LOVE them!

Enjoy!