- advertisement -

Flu shots?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Hayden'sMom, Oct 26, 2010.

1. JoelsMommy

JoelsMommy Approved members

We don't get the flu shots. Both my kids had Influenza A - Joel caught it at the hospital when he was diagnosed. :( And he shared it with his 3 year old sister. And father. So I was dealing with 3 very sick people. I felt cruddy, but never got tested. I was too busy to get sick. Thankfully Joel was still in the hospital - he had to go back on an IV and had special care.

Because they've had A, it's my understanding that they are less likely to catch Swine flu. Also, since we homeschool, they are less likely to be exposed.

Our pediatrician and endo agree that they are ok without it.

2. valerie k

valerie k Approved members

my sister died in january from complications of the h1n1 flu. Yes, we will be getting the shot as we have every year.

3. KatieJane'smom

KatieJane'smom Approved members

Valerie, I'm so sorry for your loss! What a terrible tragedy.

My D daughter has never had a flu shot because she's allergic to eggs. I've had a reaction every time I've gotten one so I choose not to, as well.

However, both my sons get a flu shot every year. The past couple of years they have opted for the nasal spray method of the vaccine instead of the shot.

There have been several times that dd has had to take Tamiflu as a precaution because on of the boys had the flu and the Pulmo didn't want her getting it as it tends to turn to pnuemonia.

4. Ali

Ali Approved members

Valerie
    I am so sorry for the loss of your sister. Ali

5. miss_behave

miss_behave Approved members

I have had both the influenza and H1N1 vaccinations this year.

6. liasmommy2000

liasmommy2000 Approved members

For our family they are a must.

7. suz

suz Approved members

non-negotiable in our family. Before we had kids we didn't get them, but since kids we always have, and especially since Dx.....

8. denise3099

denise3099 Approved members

Valerie I am so so sorry. That's just terrible. Prayers to you and your family.

Every year ppl die from flu, inclduing swine flu and others that spread again after not seeing them for a while. Some of the biggest epidemics in history have been world wide flu killing thousands and thousands. I realize that some ppl are concerned not about the vaccines per se, but the additives in the shots than can be dangerous. Many of these formulas have been changed to make them much safer. Certainly safer than getting sick, esp for a T1. And new formulas like nasal sprays are availble--not for us asthmatics but for other T1s.

Bottom line--you make your own decisions. But for us, we have enough problems without the flu on top of everything else.

9. SueM

SueM Banned

No flu shots here. Very little evidence that flu shots are either safe and/or effective. The years that my kids did get the shots (after my daughter was diagnosed), were actually the years that my kids got the sickest! Go figure.... :confused:

That being said... do what you believe is right for your own family. Just don't feel the pressure to do it because "everyone" out there tells you it's what you should do. (ie doctors, talking heads from the CDC, news programs, etc.).

10. tiffanie1717

tiffanie1717 Approved members

No shots for us.

11. manda81

manda81 Approved members

My husband gets the shot, the kiddos and I do not/never have.

12. emm142

emm142 Approved members

Every year. Type 1 diabetes and illness can get very, very complicated. I'd rather avoid that wherever I can.

13. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

My kids and I have never gotten the flu shot. May do so this year. Still undecided.

14. Kayeecee

Kayeecee Approved members

We all get the flu shots every year without fail, before and since diagnosis last year. Contrary to an earlier post, there is abundant evidence that the vaccine is both safe and effective. Diabetes is so much fun when the kids are well (kidding), you won't believe what a blast it is when they are ill......

15. SueM

SueM Banned

I would be interested in what you have for evidence of the safety and effectiveness of the flu shot? Scientific evidence is needed (not just statements from the CDC or other government agencies/pharma companies). Safety studies on thimerosal would be great too! Thanks in advance. :)

16. sooz

sooz Approved members

Hailey is getting her's today at school, her mom got her's already and we will get ours too.

17. MommaRetta

MommaRetta Approved members

My kids have always had to have the flu shots. They both had open heart surgeries as babies and their immune system has been compromised (sp?) because of that. And now especially with Stephen... we get them as soon as we can. We do not like to mess around. They get sick often enough as it is..

I've been worried about the latest flu shots though because they haven't been out very long...? Always in the back of my mind..

18. Rubymommy777

Rubymommy777 New Member

Valerie, I am so sorry for your loss.

It is such a personal decision! That's the problem, it seems we need to study a little bit deeper and ask some better questions as to whose immune systems would be better off getting the shots and whose it will hurt. ya know? No one wants to lose anyone but look how careful we have to pay attention to our kids with diabetes? Maybe the CDC needs to pay more attention to each person before we just throw out a one size fits all vaccine? I don't know. We never did any shots and we were all sick last year from x-mas to easter and it was awful. my daughter was just diagnosed in august and just got the flu mist, then she got the flu!!!! apparently, she must have already been exposed cuz they say it takes time to germinate in the body. ? bs was fine but ketones went up. it was a very hard, long week. I called my husband home from work (he works @ night!) 2x last week. it was so hard. but I am wondering too, if the swine flu (which I believe we all had last year) was the trigger. We started preschool this year and she has already been sick 3 times!!!! so whatever I can do to prevent a repeat of last year, I have to try. we will see how it goes! Good luck with your decision.

19. Rubymommy777

Rubymommy777 New Member

I don't know how to put all that stuff on the bottom yet. My dd is 3, dx 8/4/10.

20. quiltinmom

quiltinmom Approved members

It's up to you what you want to do, but I vaccinate for the flu if it's offered/available.