- advertisement -

Flu shot?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Mrs Puff, Sep 8, 2011.

1. Mrs Puff

Mrs Puff Approved members

I am not trying to start a debate, but I am in a quandary. My family rarely gets sick. They have never had strep, ear infections, tonsillitis, sinus infections, etc...they usually get one yucky cold during the winter and that is it. I don't think we have ever really had the flu. We homeschool and don't come in contact with a lot of people. When we go to walmart and the kids play with the game controllers we always use hand sanitizer afterward. So, we have never felt it necessary to get a flu shot. When ds was diagnosed in December they gave him one in the hospital. Then when I decided to update the kids immunizations (they were a little behind) the ped gave my daughter a flu shot. I am not anti-immunization, I can see the point of most of them and I am not talking about that. I just don't know what to do/think about the flu shot. At diagnosis the endo said the whole family should get one every year. Do they work? I have heard some people get the flu after the shot. Do you get flu shots?

2. BittysMom

BittysMom Approved members

I've never done flu shots for our family, but with Caroline just diagnosed I already asked about it and the Diabetic educator told me she should have it. She mentioned because vomiting was so problematic. The regular flu shot doesn't protect against stomach flus (per my pediatrician) so I'm not sure why she brought up vomiting.

I'll likely get it this year for her (not my other children) but I'll admit I don't feel solid in my flu shot decisions and never have quite frankly. I'm curious what others say, guessing that most do get the shot...

3. swimmom

swimmom Approved members

Yes. Shots for my daughter and me; mist for the boys if they prefer it. None of us has ever had any kind of reaction to either shot or mist and have not caught the flu either.

4. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

My family, including my D son, do not do flu shots.

5. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

As a "future nurse" I am a little surprised at the question. But each family must do what they feel is right for their situation. You have already consented for your son and daughter to get flu shots in the past, so what has changed that is making you question doing it again? Did they have any problems from the previous shots?

To answer your other question, with any flu shot, there is the potential to get flu like symptoms, but I have not heard of anyone getting the flu from the shot. Some people may have mild symptoms, while others have none.

6. DsMom

DsMom Approved members

Didn't before my son's dx, but I do get them for all my kids now. Don't feel right just getting it for Daniel...he is already the one getting poked all the time, this one time, can't hurt (well, it does a little;)) for the other two to get a shot, too.

I just live in dread of vomit during the school year...it is so hard to handle with D. He actually still did have a big stomach bug last school year that almost sent us to the ER...but it wasn't the flu. I worry so about the dehydration and other issues with the flu...I feel safer for him having the shot.

7. minniem

minniem Approved members

We always have a flu shot for everyone, even before D. We get the shot vs. the mist and it's an inactivated form so there is no way to get the actual flu from the shot. Now, from what I understand the mist is actually a live virus and maybe could give you the flu? I'm not sure about that since we never take that kind.

My DD has other medical issues and they didn't recommend the mist for us, so we are sticking with the shot.

8. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

Yeah, there's no logic in that at all, the flu shot will not protect against stomach viruses, only the actual flu with high fevers/body aches. And that is ONLY if they predict correctly, very often they do not and those with shots still get ill.

They recommend it for Diabetics because any illness can cause crazy blood sugars and lead to hospitalizations. Where a typical kid would get sick and be on the couch for a week, a diabetic may get sick and end up in ER. BUT, that is true for all illness, not just flu. So for me it really would depend on how well prepared you feel to deal with fluctuations and difficulties. We recently made it through a pretty bad virus at home (the virus was mild, the sugars were not) so I feel more confident.

My son had the real flu last year (we never do flu shots) and his sugars stayed fairly level. He had a very mild cold this year and his blood sugars went CRAZY. So truly, the flu may or may not be a high risk, and a garden variety cold could be a high risk, it's a roll of the dice!

For me personally, the risk of the shot is not worth the possible benefit.

It's a very personal decision and I have been soundly criticized here for my views on the use of homeopathics and herbals to avoid flu and treat the symptoms so will not be repeating my views but am happy to share with anyone who is interested via PM.

9. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

Since dxd we have gotten STeven flu shots some years, some years not. They have the combo shot now of flu and H1N1 so he got that last year. I will probably get it for him this year too

10. emm142

emm142 Approved members

I get the flu shot. I'd rather not spend days in bed (and possibly in hospital) because of a preventable illness, and I've never heard strong evidence that the flu shot can cause harm. I'd rather reduce my chances of getting the flu.

11. denise3099

denise3099 Approved members

I don't know that there is a risk of the shot, aside from discomfort--it hurts--and minor achiness and swelling at the site. As far as of risk of flu, everyone's risk is different, of course, since some people are sick all the time and some never get sick, some interact with lots of people and some never leave the house. And kids not in school are at a much lower risk of getting flu than school kids--school is a germ fest. :p

But thousands of people die from flu every single year. True most of them are older or babies or have other health problems that were complicated by the flu. For me it comes to this: I've had the flu and I was freakin' miserable!!! If a little shot can lower the risk of me getting it, then sign me up. Our whole family gets the shot. And no you can't get the flu from the shot--the worst that can happen is it might not work.

BTW, can using emla help the shot not hurt? I think the vaccine will still sting going in.

12. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

Mercury is a definite risk, so if I were to get a flu shot I'd make sure there was no thimerisol in it~as far as I know it still does. I treat patients every year with Guillan Barre' Syndrome, all after the flu shot. That is a known risk; yes, I have a skewed view due to my place of employment, but the risk is there. They do not always predict it correctly, so often the shot is in vain. Often deaths happen in those who DID get the shot. Research it, that info is available. A shot is a risk, anytime you inject something foreign, it's a risk. For some it's a risk worth the benefit, for others not so much.

I DO know many people who got a flu shortly after the flu shot. Anectdotal, yes, but still there.

I have ways to both prevent and treat the flu naturally that have worked very effectively for my family, am happy to share but not publicly, last time I did that I was rudely trounced for it. We also homeschool so our exposure is lessened, which of course factors in.

I consider this a very personal decision with no right or wrong answers, only what is right for your family.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2011
  13. swellman

swellman Approved members

Side effects of the inactivated/dead flu vaccine injection include:

• mild soreness, redness, and swelling where the shot was given
    • fever
    • aches
    These problems usually begin soon after the injection, and last 1?2 days.[123]
    Side effects of the activated/live/LAIV flu nasal spray vaccine:
    Some children and adolescents 2?17 years of age have reported:[124]

• runny nose, nasal congestion or cough
    • fever
    • headache and muscle aches
    • wheezing
    • abdominal pain or occasional vomiting or diarrhea
    Some adults 18?49 years of age have reported:[124]

• runny nose or nasal congestion
    • sore throat
    • cough, chills, tiredness/weakness
    • headache
    More severe, but very rare side effects include:[124]

• life-threatening allergic reaction
    Some injection-based flu vaccines intended for adults in the United States contain thiomersal. Despite some controversy in the media,[125] the World Health Organization has concluded that there is no evidence of toxicity from thiomersal in vaccines and no reason on grounds of safety to change to more-expensive single-dose administration.[126]

Although Guillain-Barr? syndrome had been feared as a complication of vaccination, the CDC states that most studies on modern influenza vaccines have seen no link with Guillain-Barr?.[127][128]

A review has concluded that the 2009 H1N1 ("swine flu") vaccine has a safety profile similar to that of seasonal vaccine.[129] Although one review gives an incidence of about one case per million vaccinations,[130] a large study in China, reported in the NEJM covering close to 100 million doses of vaccine against the 2009 H1N1 "swine" flu found only eleven cases of Guillain-Barre syndrome, (0.1%) total incidence in persons vaccinated, actually lower than the normal rate of the disease in China, and no other notable side effects; "The risk-benefit ratio, which is what vaccines and everything in medicine is about, is overwhelmingly in favor of vaccination."[131] Getting infected by influenza itself increases both the risk of death (up to 1 in 10,000) and increases the risk of developing Guillain-Barr? syndrome to a much higher level than the highest level of suspected vaccine involvement (approx. 10 times higher by recent estimates).[132][133]

14. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

From Flu.Gov:

How common is Guillain-Barre syndrome (GBS), and how common is it after people are vaccinated for seasonal flu?

GBS is rare. Each year, about 3,000 to 6,000 people in the United States develop GBS whether or not they received a vaccination ? that?s 1 to 2 people out of every 100,000 people. This is referred to as the background rate.

In 1976, there was a small risk of GBS following influenza (swine flu) vaccination (approximately 1 additional case per 100,000 people who received the swine flu vaccine). That number of GBS cases was slightly higher than the background rate for GBS.

Since then, numerous studies have been done to evaluate if other flu vaccines were associated with GBS. In most studies, no association was found, but two studies suggested that approximately 1 additional person out of 1 million vaccinated people may be at risk for GBS associated with the seasonal influenza vaccine.

It is important to keep in mind that severe illness and possible death can be associated with influenza, and vaccination is the best way to prevent influenza infection and its complications.

For more information about Guillain-Barr? Syndrome see:

National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke Information Page
    Fact Sheet: Guillain-Barr? Syndrome

From me: It's rare, but I have literally and truly only seen maybe 2 cases in my entire 25 year career that were NOT immediately after the flu shot. They can say all they want, but there is a link, and they admit it,and that's been more true with the swine flu vaccine. It IS a real risk, though a very small one. Someone said there were no risks and I disagree with that. Risks may be worth it, that's true, but to say there are no risks is not.

15. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

This is actually a quote from the CDC where they admit that there MAY be a link. Of course there may be a link with the actual flu to, so it's a toss up, clearly, and a personal decision. I just happen to see all of the cases up close so it has more of an impact on me.

What causes GBS?

Many things can cause GBS; about two-thirds of people who develop GBS symptoms do so several days or weeks after they have been sick with diarrhea or a respiratory illness. Infection with the bacterium Campylobacter jejuni is one of the most common risk factors for GBS. People also can develop GBS after having the flu or other infections (such as cytomegalovirus and Epstein Barr virus). On very rare occasions, they may develop GBS in the days or weeks after getting a vaccination.

16. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

Sounds like you are bitter. I think this is one of those hot button issues that cause emotions to flare up. I don't think you should take it personally or let someone's opposing opinion bother you. Life is too short....

17. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

I totally agree. I don't let the internet ruin my day anymore, btdt a few times. I love to educate on alternate treatments and am happy to do so. Privately. Just don't have the time to spend deflecting the people who are so offended by non traditional thinking. Rather than having to defend what I believe and have learned, I am making a conscious decision to avoid what clearly inflames some. Not sure how you can view that as bitter, to me it's just respectful to avoid adding fuel to what I know will become a fire.

No bitterness here.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2011
  18. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Definitely a personal choice. I don't think there's any right or wrong in your decision.
    My husband doesn't always get one, but it's more because he's waited to long and is shut out. I get it for my asthma, daughter because of d, and other daughter just happens to be next in line.

I don't worry about flu as much as I worry about stomach bugs. We've been lucky, but one year did end up in the ER due to dehydration.

19. funnygrl

funnygrl Approved members

You can definitely get single dose syringes with no preservatives.

I've seen GBS once in my nursing career, and he made a full recovery. We have half a dozen flu deaths every season.

20. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

I work in rehab, so ALL the cases end up there, so I've seen a lot in my career (and ALL but a few did not have a VERY recent flu shot). I admit I have a skewed view! I've never lost a patient to flu, never! So what we work with definitely colors our opinions, and I admit that fully.

I've had more than a few cases that did not make a full recovery though most do, but it's a long and difficult road, I've seen a few that needed a ventilator.