advertisement

Flat packet of 4 glucose tabs?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by BittysMom, Aug 12, 2012.

1. BittysMom

BittysMom Approved members

I had aquired a sample at some point of glucose tabs that was a packet of 4, layed out flat, that fit perfectly into a meter case pocket. Caroline generally only needs one or 2 tabs, so it would be perfect to keep in her meter for when we're in a bind. I can't find them anywhere and now I wish I saved the packet I had.

Has anybody seen these for sale in stores or online? Thanks.

2. PixieStix

PixieStix Approved members

You can get little tiny baggies in different sizes in craft stores--look by the cross stitch & beads. I use them for baby wipes I cut in 1/8ths to clean the finger off, also even smaller ones to hold 2 tabs flat

3. BittysMom

Great idea, hadn't thought of that. I'll look, thanks!

4. anna-bananna

anna-bananna Approved members

Hi PixieStix,

Do you find that baby wipes get the fruit juice off the fingers? We usually use the alcohol swabs...I am just looking for something to use in the middle of the night for those times when I get an unexpectedly high number, and I am not sure if she washed her hands before going to bed. A baby wipe would sure be a lot nicer than having to wake her up to go wash her hands!

To the OP, sorry to hijack the thread for a bit! I've been looking for those packets, too; so I hope someone knows how to find them! The little baggies are a good idea, though!

5. Joretta

Joretta Approved members

6. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

7. sooz

sooz Approved members

That looks great! Did you notice in the description though it says the tabs help reduce blood sugar levels lol?

8. Connie(BC)Type 1

Connie(BC)Type 1 Approved members

my CDE has foil 4 packs she carries for herself

9. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

too funny!

10. BittysMom

Thanks for the ideas/ links- just what I needed. It's actually been on my mind all summer since the last week of school, nurse had to go scramble to find cake gel from her classroom when she ran out. I want to keep a "in case of emergency only" pack in her meter.

11. Mish

Mish Approved members

you used to be able to get them at CVS but I haven't seen them in years now.

12. virgo39

virgo39 Approved members

We use these too--keep two 4g tabs on one side and three 1g tabs on the other. After a while the plastic catch doesn't seem to hold as well, so we have gone through a couple of them. We attach them to the outside of DD's "kit" (an Accu-chek case that we use for her PDM, Multiclix, and strips).

At dx, we were given some BD glucose tabs in a blister pack -- IIRC they were 5g tabs. I think BD discontinued them.

13. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

It's interesting what others use for hand-cleaning. We were told baby wipes and alcohol wipes could raise the BG reading some and not to use them. I usually just use a damp washcloth to wipe her hands in the night if I think a BG number is wonky.

14. lizzie

lizzie Approved members

15. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

We use a wet paper towel for almost all BG checks.

16. Ali

Ali Approved members

The flat packs are a great no "powder mess" option for kits but I gave up on that a bit ago and just dump my bottle of glucose tabs-whatever will fit-into my meter pocket or a plastic bag, just because I get tired of any extra work for stuff and go with what I can get at the supermarket. Jelly beans, spice drops, life savers, all work great and you can buy in big packges on your weekly shopping trips. As a long time T1 I like to mix my "emergency sweets" up a bit.:p:cwds:ali
    For clean fingers after a snack have them use the outside of the pinky, or wipe off the first drop and use the next.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2012
  17. PixieStix

PixieStix Approved members

I have not found any problem with using the baby wipes, been doing it since dx x 8 years now. I always buy the plain wipes--unscented, no lotions, etc. When cut in 1/8ths they are the same size as alcohol pad but not drying to the fingers, very affordable and convenient.

18. valerie k

valerie k Approved members

19. steph

steph Approved members

another T1D family introduced me to castille soap wipes. they open to the size of a small thin napkin and are good for cleaning hands before eating (i do this for my toddler, rather than lugging into icky public bathrooms) but they are also great for cleaning fingertips without drying the skin as much as alcohol, and they remove sugar, unlike the alcohol pads. i will usually cut then into 1/8ths to make them a better size and last longer.

20. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

We use unscented no lotion baby wipe too, into our 6.5th year.

I just put a whole baby wipe in a "snack" size zip lock and fold it mutiple times. fold it over as we use it to a clean spot. At school she washes her hands this it just for out and about time. I alos keep a facial tissue to wipe excess blood onto.