- advertisement -

First time at a birthday party - help please!

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by polly, Feb 26, 2011.

1. polly

polly Approved members

Hey guys! We are going to our first birthday party since Noah's diagnosis this afternoon. It is at a bowling alley and they are serving pizza and of course will have cake and ice cream. Even though the snack bar doesn't have nutritional values posted, I'm assuming a "regular" slice of pizza has approximately 28 carbs. How would you guys bolus for this? Would you allow the special treat of cake or bring something that is healthier? Thanks for any advice!!

2. Yellow Tulip

Yellow Tulip Approved members

Hi Polly! I would definitely let my son have the cake right there with his friends. I don't know how old your child is, but fitting in is really important to kids, and I would hate to make him feel different. As far as carb counts go, if you have a scale, you can weigh the pizza and usually 1/3 of the weight is carbs. Also, if it's cut in triangles, a triangle a little bigger than the palm of your hand is about 30 carbs. Do you have a Calorie King book? That would help too with guesstimating the cake. If you don't, look it up on the calorie king website before you leave to have some idea.

Good luck and I hope Noah has a lot of fun!

3. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

Hey Polly, hope Noah has a great time at the party :) I would let my CWD have whatever the rest of the gang is having. If you have a Calorie King you could do some carb counting before or try to look up everything online. That way youll go armed with some idea of what he will be putting away. Im sure they will all be busy bowling and celebrating so probably wont be eating alot anyhow.

You can try to get an idea from the hostess about the spacing of when foods will be eaten, say, pizza then bowling for an hour then cake and ice cream. If it seems like the items will be spaced out then you could give 2 boluses, just remember that there will be some active insulin from the first shot. Or if they will have pizza followed by the cake and ice cream you could give the one bolus for both. He may be on the high side today but you can always give corrections and hope that the activity will help to bring #s down also.

4. kpoehls

kpoehls Approved members

Birthday parties are a MUST for all kids - even (especially?) those with T1.

Try to plan as much as you can - but know that running a little high is definitely worth the experience of being with friends.

I hope Noah has a great time!

5. polly

polly Approved members

Thanks guys! I know it is critical for everyone to feel inclusive. It's just our first time sine his diagnosis for a sugary treat. I talked to the hostess and they are doing pizza at 12:15, bowl for about an hour and a half and then cake and ice cream. I'm afraid that if I bouls for all of that at lunch, he'll plummet during bowling and prior to cake. We are currently only doing nova log shots at meals. Sorry for the questions. I sent our educator an email Thursday only to find out yesterday afternoon that she was out of town. Thanks!

6. obtainedmist

obtainedmist Approved members

Ask away any time!!;)

7. dejahthoris

dejahthoris Approved members

My son had his first bday party recently too. I bolused for the burger and fries and later for the frosted gooey cookie cake. It was fine. He actually needed an extra snack to keep him from going low. Excitement means extra snack for him. I would have done it with one bolus but the dinner and cake were an hour apart. The two boluses were no biggie. We sometimes bolus after meals so we make sure we give the right amount. In this instance, we bolused after the burger and fries and then after the cookie cake. If i was at home I would be better at guessing ahead of time on the carbs.

8. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

well, it's probably too late but I would have probably given a half a shot right AFTER the pizza and then a shot for the cake/ice cream when that happened. It's not perfect but you can always fix it later.

9. bibrahim

bibrahim Approved members

I would test and bolus for the pizza (30 gms per slice unless it's super thick crust). Then I would test again after bowling. It it's high I wouldn't correct as it would be too soon to correct.

If it is low, I would subtract 15 carbs from the dessert and tell him to eat the frosting first. I would check again in 15 minutes to make sure the BG was high enough. If they had pop or juice you could treat the low with that also and he wouldn't have to wait to partake. I would also wait for the BG to go up before giving him insulin for the balance of the carbs.

10. Mimi

Mimi Approved members

I think this is one of the most important things to learn and accept when newly dx'd. Although you want to do your best for your child all the time, sometimes your best is letting them be a kid, guesstimating the carbs and fixing it later. It's not like this happens everyday. :cwds:

I hope the party was lots of fun!!

11. dejahthoris

dejahthoris Approved members

Oops, not first birthday party! I meant to say first birthday party since he was dx:) Also his first sleepover! He was fine, Mom hardly slept! But it was fine:) He called me with his numbers before he went to sleep and all.

12. mom24grlz

mom24grlz Approved members

Hi there I hope he has a fun time at the party. We had my daughter Emely's birthday party today with Pizza, cake and Ice cream. We always treat 1 slice of regular pizza as 35 carbs (this works for us). We bolus after we eat the pizza. Ashleigh normally eats 2 slices so that would be 70 carbs. Cake I do take a scale and weigh it. Cake with icing we treat as .57 per gram. Emely had a bowling party last year and the kids all thought it was a lot of fun :)