- advertisement -

First Stomach bug since diagnosis 3 years ago

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by msschiel, Dec 11, 2016.

1. msschiel

msschiel Approved members

So we were diagnosed 3 years ago in October and this is the first time anyone in the house has had a stomach bug. It is nasty. I had it on Wednesday and it hit hard and fast. Can't keep anything down, not even a sip of water. I felt better after about 24 hours. I was really hoping no one else would get it, but it has taken over our small town! Anyways, we were at a game night at church and had some snacks and then I check ds's sugar around 10:30 and it was low, around 60. So, I treat him and it doesn't come up above 70. Treat again about an hour later. Shortly after I come upstairs and am planning to go to bed (Had set a temp basal, too), I hear him come up the steps and he tells me he vomited. Lovely. I knew we were in for a long night. Got him cleaned up and on the couch with a bucket. He was up every hour and a half or so. called the Endo at 6 and they said to watch for ketones (obviously) and if he couldn't keep anything down, get to the ER. He kept a few crackers down for about 90 minutes and they came back up. So, off to the ER we went. He had a 99.9 temp at home, but their temp said 98.3. his heart rate was elevated, so they did an EKG and retook his temp in the ear and it was 101.7 (I think). So, they gave him 2 bags of fluid, Zofran, and motrin. We were there for probably 3 hours. He had Medium ketones at home, but bloodwork showed nothing much out of the ordinary. Brought him home and he slept most of the afternoon. Sugars stayed between 170 and 200 most of the day, so thankfully no lows or super highs. He had trace ketones 2 hours ago, but just rechecked and he was back up to large.

Would this warrant a call to the endo again? He is drinking and keeping it down and just ate some applesauce. Still has a slight temp, but gave advil for that. Thank goodness for dexcom. The nurses asked what his sensor was and I told them and showed him the app on his phone. They were impressed. Just waiting to see who else comes down with it. Of course, we have band concerts this week and I am not finished Christmas shopping yet! Everything will come together. We are all ready for a break.

2. MichelleW

MichelleW Approved members

Glad he came through it ok. I'm really impressed with the stable BG range too.

3. msschiel

It has been a fun ride (being sarcastic). I had to pick him up on Thursday (missed his concert again this year) because his stomach became upset again, but he is doing better now. Have had some decent lows and then some rebound highs, but we are managing!

4. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

Have you been taught mini-gluc? http://www.childrenwithdiabetes.com/d_0j_20w.htm It's helped us more than once when my daughter started vomiting rather than digesting with IOB. The combo of mini-gluc, cgm, and temp basals are awesome. Hats off to parents who managed without all three in prior generations!

5. msschiel

No, we haven't been taught that, but I will ask about it at our appointment in January.

Thank you!

6. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

We weren't taught either, either. I learned it here and took a print-out to our next appointment. It's now part of their sick-day class.

7. Snowflake

Snowflake Approved members

That's cool that they incorporated it in their sick day class! It's a great tool, although not a panacea. The one time we used it, my daughter started vomitting even more and she felt SO crappy for the next 12 hours.

During our most recent truly awful stomach bug, we were running an intractable pattern of low bg+ketones+vomitting+food refusal. We came within about 15 minutes of going to urgent care for fluids, when my dd finally consented to eat some crushed up glucose tabs (seriously). We were reluctant to use mini gluc, in case it exacerbated the vomitting; and the on-call endo predicted that the pattern of lows had lasted so long that her bg would probably spike and then crash again, so the endo cautioned against it. The crushed glucose tabs saved the day, but it was so comforting to know that a bag of fluids was a 5-minute drive away. That's definitely a last resort for us, but sometimes unavoidable.

8. susanlindstrom16

susanlindstrom16 Approved members

Great job getting through it! Stomach bugs are the absolute worst. And trying to make management decisions while you are in the middle of puking yourself is so challenging. We ended up in the ER with my daughter's first stomach bug, about 6 months after diagnosis. My husband, her, and I had been up all night throwing up and i just needed the outside reassurance that she was doing ok. Its happened a few times since then and I feel more comfortable handling things on our own now. Glad everyone is on the mend!