- advertisement -

First sleepover - epic fail

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Nancy in VA, Dec 23, 2016.

1. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

I guess we can consider it a bit of success because she's still alive. But other than that, blood sugar management was atrocious.

For the first time in weeks, Emma was low after dinner. She was responding to her alarms, we made sure Share was working, and she kept treating, but she didn't come up. Since she wasn't here for us to keep treating, I had her turn her basal off for about an hour to get her out of the basement.

Then she spiked to over 300. She told me this morning she thinks she actually came unplugged. That's fine, but the high alarms didn't wake her up, and my texts to her didn't wake her up.

When she finally woke up this morning, she treated and started coming down. But it was frustrating that she stayed really high most of the night.

So, the next time she tries a sleepover, even with the Dexcom, I think we'll set a couple of cell phone alarms for her to check the Dexcom because she seems to wake up to those. I just don't know how she doesn't wake up to the huge blaring high alarm.

2. Just Jen

Just Jen Approved members

I'd say it was an epic success! The biggest thing I don't want to do is not let my T1D child be a child - and being a child means sleepovers. A night of running high - even at over 300 or 400 - isn't going to hurt her in the long run. She might not feel the best the next day, but that would be the necessary consequences of ignoring the alarms and texts, not a result of sleeping over away from mom. I have two kids that would probably sleep through a fire alarm they are such deep sleepers. And if I'm being honest, there are many nights since diagnosis that several nights of waking to treat highs or lows left me so tired I slept through the alarms myself. I say, good job, Mom, at giving her the chance to be a kid and to learn by experience, which is really the best teacher of all!

3. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

Yeah, that's what I keep telling myself. We aren't real close to these parents, the mother speaks broken English so I have trouble understanding her. But the girl is really sweet and Emma loves playing with her. They slept over here last month and I knew this was coming. I would have been even more worried if she wasn't getting the lows, but that's why we had her turn down the basal. And I wouldn't worry as much except she had some highs earlier this week and I think she was throwing ketones, because she was supposed to stay after and take a makeup math test and instead called me to come get her and she walked in the house and immediately went and threw up and then fell asleep.

4. MEVsmom

MEVsmom Approved members

It may not have worked out exactly like you wanted, but I'd call it successful. I only let my daughter sleep over at certain places, but I tolerate a much higher number when she is away than I normally would. My daughter completely sleeps through alarms too. I can't believe it. I have started leaving her dex right outside her room so maybe she won't get so used to it. I have had to call parents in the middle of the night before because of severe lows. That scared me enough to tolerate a fairly high number.

5. dpr

dpr Approved members

Our first 3-4 sleep overs were terrible. She always went super high. She was emotionally more than ready and I'm sure it was the excitement of getting away from mom and dad. After a few it got a lot better. Now it's pretty much just normal crappy diabetes, some nights good, some bad... It sure opened the eyes of a few non d parents to what we go through. I'm thankful she has some great friends with great parents that are will to go through it.

6. quiltinmom

quiltinmom Approved members

Overall, not the worst scenario ever. Sometimes the only difference between failure and success is your expectation/perspective. ;). If she had fun, then maybe it's worth s night in the 300s.

Da went on a camp out last night. He ran out of insulin early this morning (he went with 60 units!!! He must've eaten a ton of food). So for breakfast he skipped the French toast and had eggs instead, and pulled out whatever he could from his pump with a syringe for lunch. He was 350 when he got home, so overall, Not too bad for what it was. Its all in how you look at it. He's been higher than that while at home with plenty of insulin.

Next time should be better. You learn a little each time.