- advertisement -

First package from A+ medical

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by A&Ds Mommy, Sep 6, 2007.

1. A&Ds Mommy

A&Ds Mommy Approved members

We recieved our first shipment from a+ medical today and when I opened it the insulins were not cold. They were in a special package with an ice pack but it wasn't cold. Have any of you ever experienced this?

2. Momof4gr8kids

Momof4gr8kids Approved members

Our insulin comes the same way. Usually it is still cool, but the ice pack is almost done with by the point it arrives. The one exception is when our mail carrier put our package in the big box for packages, I have always gotten it right away when it is left on the porch. I'd call A plus and let them know it wasn't cold, and see if they could replace it and see if there is another way to cold ship the insulin that might work better.

3. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

we got our package today (not the first though) and the insulin doesnt 'feel' cold but its still cool.. its always that way.. the icepack is usually on its last leg by the time I've receive it.. we've been using Aplus since march/april and have not had a problem with it getting to warm and not working..

they are pretty good to deal with, if you call them and let them know your concern they may be able to do something for you..

4. Mama2H

Mama2H Approved members

Ours is always cool but never cold. We have been using them since before Christmas and have never had a bad vial. If ours were warm I would have an issue. Call them up and let them know, they are really good about working with you.

5. A&Ds Mommy

I did give them a call and they said not to use it right away, put it in the fridge and let it get cold and it should be okay. It wasn't really warm, more like room temperature.

6. Tori's Mom

Tori's Mom Approved members

We started with A+ 2 months ago. The first shipment I rec'd, the insulin was as you described-cool but not cold. I called A+ and asked if there was anything they could do to prevent this and they said they would make a note to double ice pack it. I even offered to pay for a different method of shipping so we rec'd it in a more timely manner but they said they could not do that.
    2nd shipment came-double ice packed, still cool but not cold. No difference.

On the bright side, I called 2 pharmacists locally that I trust and asked them if the Insulin was affected in any way by it being room temp instead of COLD when rec'd. They both told me it will not affect the potency or how well the insulin works. I've also not had any difficulty using the vials and the insulin not working. At least the pharmacist telling me that put my mind at ease a little more.

7. Chase's mom

Chase's mom Approved members

I just switched from Walmart to Kindred Care for Chase's insulin. We got our first insulin last week and the package was on the front porch. When I opened it the ice packs were meleted and it was warm. I called them and they said it was fine that the manufactorys keep it on the shelf and it should be fine. I was like it is warmer than room temp they said it is fine so last night was the first time to use it in the pump so wwe will see. I pretty sure I will go back to using a pharmacy for our insulin. I will feel more comfortable.

8. missnme

missnme Approved members

Our first package from Aplus came 2 Saturdays ago when it was 102 degrees outside. It was sent via 2-day with one ice pack and was very warm to the touch. They told us to just put it in the frig and use it and I said no, so they resent it this week and this one came on the cool side of room temperature via 2-day as well. I am thrilled with all of the other supplies they sent (even though they don't have the foil-wrapped ketostix), but I am thinking I will get my insulin from our regular mail order and pay the co-pay. It always came with 3 or 4 ice packs in a styrofoam cooler.

What bothers me is that they don't see anything wrong with it getting hot, so I worry that they'll just cool it off and re-send the same bottles again.

9. BrendaK

BrendaK Neonatal Diabetes Registry

I will have to disagree with your pharmacists here, at least with Lantus. When Carson was on Lantus several years ago, we were having some problems with it -- always having white specks floating in the bottle. To make a long story short, I ended up sending in vials to the manufacturer and talking to one of the head people at quality control. She said that AS SOON as it's out of the refrigerated zone (38-42 degrees I think), it begins the 28 day countdown until it loses potency, if you will. She said I need to take a cooler to the pharmacy, even if I'm just going right home, if I don't plan on using the insulin for a while. As long as it's in that refrigerated zone though, it's good until the expiration date.

I've always been very careful about temperature after talking to the manufactuers themselves.

10. twicker1

twicker1 Approved members

We use APlus, and so far it has been okay. I have had to make sure they send us the shortest needles and smallest gauge lancets, but I do not use them for insulin. The first shipment I received was left on our front porch for up to 6 hours in the sun. I sent them back, and they resent them in cold packs, but they weren't very cool. After that, I just sent them back to them and took them off our shipping list. I just get the insulin from Walgreens, and if there is a problem I can just run down the street and get it fixed. Otherwise, I have been very pleased with out service with them!

Last edited: Sep 9, 2007
  11. Barry

Barry Approved members

read the insert

As much as I like A+, I believe they are misinformed. Everyone that uses mail order needs to read the insert in the insulin box. It does not say to "let insulin return to room temperature before using" as someone at A+ told me, it says to "disgard insulin that has been exposed to temperature exceeding 98 degrees". Unrefridgerated insulin (does not say unopened or opened) is good for 28 days. UNOPENED, refridgerated insulin is good until the expiration date.

SO..... for someone to tell you the makers of Novolog keep it on the shelf is incorrect, unless the shelf is in a refridgerator.

12. A&Ds Mommy

I think I may just go back to getting our insulin at the pharmacy.

13. Ellen

Ellen Senior Member

I would insist on them replacing the insulin at their expense and if they want you to return the warm insulin to them, I would open each bottle and mark it damaged so no one else will get stuck with it. I would ask for insulin to be shipped overnight with first delivery of the morning. We've disposed of many bottles because of not receiving it cool to the touch, and also have marked the damaged bottles and returned them at their expense. This has been through Medco