- advertisement -

First my daughter and now........

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by ehacker, Jul 20, 2011.

1. ehacker

ehacker Approved members

So as alot of u know my little girl was in the hospital well she got released this morning saying it was a virus. Well Aeden is now in the er via ambulance..... he dropped to 50 had a seizure then went unresponsive. Talk about giving me a heartatack! Gave him glucagon while on phone with endo then called 911. He was out for about 30 minutes.... I Really really HATE this $&)*#%? disease!!!!

2. Lee

Lee Approved members

Oh no Eileen! I hope he is ok! I hope you are ok.

3. ehacker

ehacker Approved members

Well now he is up able 400 bc of carbs given to get him safe levels. And my adrenaline rush is gone so I'm feeling not so sure freaked out...

4. Aeagle

Aeagle Approved members

Praying for you and your family!! I hope your sweet little one's are ok

5. ehacker

ehacker Approved members

And now have an incompetent doctor! Says he isn't going to give him any insulin even though his numbers are goingbup that as ling as we give him fluids he won't be in danger of dka... Wth!

And don't want to give him any insulin

Last edited: Jul 20, 2011
  6. GaPeach

GaPeach Approved members

Make sure the ER doc is in direct contact with the Endo for all diabetes management orders.

Call your endo if necessary to confirm that they are giving ER doc treatment info.

7. ehacker

ehacker Approved members

Just aloes endo. I asked er doc what they were going to do for him and they said watch him for a little while and send him home. He already pisses my husband off and I do not beloved my son is getting beat care. waiting for endo to call me back

8. lauraqofu

lauraqofu Approved members

Ugh...when Cass passed out from a low a couple months back and I took her to the ER, the dr tried to do the same thing...I get that they aren't well trained in diabetes care, but any idiot should be able to guess that sending a kid from a severe low to a crazy high isn't a good health choice.

Sorry you are having such a rough time...home you guys get home soon so everyone can get some rest.

9. zakksmom

zakksmom Approved members

Awe I am so sorry- hope everything gets under control soon!!! (((Cyber Hugs))) Keep posting updates!!!

10. joy orz

joy orz Approved members

Well, that just sucks. I am so very sorry. Hang in there. I would agree that you need to have your endo paged. Speak to them directly, then have them speak to the ER doc with you in the room while they are on the phone so everyone has a clear understanding of what to do next.

Gah, what an ordeal you guys have been through this week. How is the peanut and tiny one holding up?

11. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

Oh Eileen:( I am so sorry youre having to deal with this now. Definitely get in touch with the endo and have him consult with the ER doctors. He knows whats best as far as the diabetes goes. Will be praying for your family!

12. ehacker

ehacker Approved members

4 hours and all they have done is drawn blood and put an iv in. He jut told me he feels pretty bad and is sluring his words. Argggggg

13. ehacker

ehacker Approved members

This is a joke! Gave him 1/2 unit novalog, no I mean WE gave hike the insulin bc they don't have novolig here... Really! Rubbing fluids an sending us home in 20 mins..... Munson ha a seizure and was unconscious for over 30 mins and that was nothing!!!!! WTF..... Just want to get home and if have to go back to hospital finding a different one to go to.:mad:

14. Lee

Lee Approved members

You can expect slurred words and other oddities for about 8 hours post seizure...that is a pretty normal response. We ended up getting hospitalized and having all types of tests run and the big "C" word thrown around - as in brain tumor - until I personally called the endo instead of relying on the staff to.

15. ehacker

ehacker Approved members

Well they have sent us home. Didnt matter to them that he was out for 39 mins bc er doctor says diabetic seizures don't cause damage... BS! Oh and to top it all off this doctor was discussing another patient with the nurse while standing in our room! Really!!!??? Just glad to e doubtfully even thoughb I know u won't sleep. Will be watching Aeden like a hawk.

16. NomadIvy

NomadIvy Approved members

Sorry this is happening to you guys...

17. ehacker

ehacker Approved members

Thank you everyone for letting me vent and your support. This is just not my week....blah. so we get home and he is back down to 70....endo has cut his insulin in half for the next 72 hours. and i have a feeling its going to be a very fun week....im just hoping that they dont decide to postpone his insulin start next week....stupid stupid disease! its times like this i wish that this diesease could take the form of something so i could punch it, lol. Againk, thank you guys! Always helps knowing I have somewhere to turn where people know what Im going thru and what the hell they are talking about :cwds:

18. deafmack

deafmack Approved members

Sorry to hear about the Aeden's seizures and your little one's illness. Hugs to you, all.

If I were close I would give that ER doctor a piece of my mind for you. Even a person with type 2 with BG that high would be given insulin. That doctor needs an education.

19. hdm42

hdm42 Approved members

First of all, I am so sorry you are going through this. Seizures are horrible and scary to see. As Lee said, you can expect slurred words and disorientation for 8 hours or so post seizure. That's "normal".

I'm glad the endo cut your insulin back. When Campbell had his seizures, we basically did only lantus and corrected (very gently) over 250. No novo for meals, only corrections if necessary. Both the endo and the neurologist wanted him to run a bit high for a couple of days to let his body recover.

I would file a complaint with the hospital about the ER doc you saw. The treatment (or lack thereof) that your child received was really not much help. I would also put in the complaint that he was speaking about another patient in your presence. I am guessing that this is a violation of privacy laws.

I would also speak very bluntly with your endo about a plan for if this happens again. I hope it never does, but it's good to have a plan. Plan for what you should do, but also what you need from the endo. Explain the poor care you got at the hospital and that you would like to get the endo more involved to improve that. Either that the endo will call the ER directly, or that you have some sort of "just in case" written orders.

I hope you can get some rest at home. Again, I'm so sorry this happened to you and your son.

20. ehacker

ehacker Approved members

So Aeden is doing better today.... still a little off balance and seems to have lost ability to tell when he has to pee (hoping this is very temporary) Got him into see his pediatrician today and they ordered an EEG just to make sure there is no damage and sending him to peds neuro bc he is now having several absence seizures....funn.,... but other then that doing better, running in 200's today so. and little girl is doing much better. :D thank you all for all your support. calling hospital today and putting in complaint about the er doctor last night.