- advertisement -

First major problem with tslim

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by GChick, Apr 10, 2015.

1. GChick

GChick Approved members

Button stopped working this morning.

I gave half the dose that I think I'd need for a nice horrible Dunkin Donuts breakfast (Coolata and bowtie donut) as I was leaving home. Started to quick bolus for the remainder while at the window waiting and got distracted when the girl handed me my goodies, so I let it time out.

When I went to push the button again nothing happened. No lights, no sound, not even a feeling like the button was being pressed. :frown:

Given my "unique" situation on where I live, it may be close to a month before I can get a replacement. Because I "understood" that I was living out of their window of areas that they maintain, I'm not sure if they'd ship directly to me (even though I'm sure they probably would if I was on "vacation" here. Will contact them when I can to check though)... particularly since our mail here doesn't go to a street address, just P.O. Boxes. (but my mom is going to the US at the end of this month/beginning of next, so she can probably do the exchange for me)

Anyway, don't suppose anyone has ever had this happen and they do a "work-around" to get the button working again, even if only temporarily?

I'm not certain if the whole pump is broken, or just the button. If its just the button I can hope my current basal is absolutely magic and just works perfectly till then (which is actually my better option right now).... or switch back to Lantus temporarily.

As much as the pump wasn't as magical as I had hoped... the ability to change things (basal) based on current need was definitely a plus, even if I didn't always get it right!

[edit] I just heard the beep of my extended bolus end... so hopefully that at least means that its still working. But I also just realized that I only have enough insulin in the cartridge to last me till Monday at the latest (well basal and bolus... but since I cant bolus with it... it may last longer, or at least until the insulin starts to degrade from heat) or so in it and once its out, I cant reload if the screen never turns back on :frown::frown:

2. GChick

GChick Approved members

Hrm... I don't think the basal is working, but am not giving up on it yet, will see once I get a "fresh" vial of insulin to bring down the existing high if I need to. When I got to work I was 163 (note: I drank my coolata and ate the whole donut anyway on the drive to work)... not bad considering, so I gave a lil less than the remainder that I had intended to give from a Humalog pen I have stashed at work and went about my business.

A while later I tested again to be safe and was 310.
    Not good. Give a lil more than my standard correction via shot.

A while after that I test and was 346.
    On the way up... Really not good. I give a lil less than double my standard correction.

Just now I test and am 370. Grrrr.
    I gave a buttload of insulin and am waiting to see where it goes.

So from about 8:15am to 10:15am I have ranged from 168 to 370, with a bunch of corrections in-between.
    I'm thinking the Humalog pen I have at work must be "expired" as well, so is not helping as much as it should (not by the date on it, but maybe the condition it was kept in... maybe work fridge wasn't cool enough)

Once I go over 420, I may have to bow out of work and go home for some "fresh" insulin. Hard to explain it though when you "look" fine.

3. twintype1s

twintype1s Approved members

The button on my son's gave out last week. It had been iffy for a couple of weeks--he'd have to press it several times to activate the screen. It was getting worse when I called Thursday, and it stopped responding altogether by Friday morning.
    The workaround Customer Service told us: plug it in to the charger, and will activate the screen so you can bolus.
    We had a new pump in hand within 36 hours, but they assured me basal would continue to work in the meantime, as long as the battery was charged.

4. GChick

GChick Approved members

Ah... I had thought about that too but don't generally carry my charging cable around so couldn't see if that'd work.

Useful, though not awfully convenient... but I'll take it (not much help today at work though). Only time that really wont help me any over the next few weeks is when I go out at night to eat (which is only every once in a while anyway) or to correct when I don't have convenient access to a power source.

Also makes temp basals a lil more challenging, particularly on the fly.

Side note: Sugars have started coming down now, and I think it'll show that I was a lil too zealous with the corrections (still high now though). Once I get over 350 and continue to rise after corrections.... I get antsy. :eek:

5. Melissata

Melissata Approved members

Do you have the car charger? That would probably work too. We don't use that button, kind of glad now because I have read this several times now.

6. jenm999

jenm999 Approved members

How do you not use that button? You need it to bolus. Do you mean you don't use the quick bolus feature?

Sorry about the malfunction. I hope your basal is still delivering. What about a handheld device like this? Is there an electronics shop where you are? http://smile.amazon.com/Poweradd-Ul...=1428698851&sr=8-1&keywords=emergency+charger You could use it wherever you need to bolus until the new pump arrives.

I love Tandem (no problems yet) but I'd be livid! Hope it gets resolved to your satisfaction, and soon.

7. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

My son pretty much ONLY uses that top quick bolus button, he never inputs carbs or BG, just punches that button, a lot. He's had to replace his pump multiple times already. Everything else always worked though, including basal, just lost that one button. Replacement with no issue.

8. GChick

GChick Approved members

Agreed, if you never use the button then you never use the pump. However I don't quick bolus frequently, only when it'd be distracting to have to look at the screen etc.

Yes, thankfully basal is still functioning and bolus does too once it's plugged in and can access the screen. Had a lil hiccup with blood sugars today, but it was clear that it was all my fault for acting and reacting too much. I didn't check your link yet but I do have a solar charger that I have tried befor with success. So, between wall charger/computer at home, car charger, computer at work and that it'll be fine... a lil irritating, but fine.

Worst case is when I have been known to give a little befor going out to eat for a prebolus, and then getting there and ordering and then giving the balance once I know for sure what I'm eating. Having to carry around a charger for that will be quite annoying, but no big deal in the long run.

I'm oddly not as pissed as I thought I'd be. There's a workaround... Which even though inconvenient, works all the time. Also the Tandem rep I spoke to seemed remarkably helpful and offered to try to go outside of their "standard" way of doing things to make thigs as easy as possible (he hasn't confirmed if he can do it and has to check with a manager.... but looks promising).

All in all, only good things to say about Tandem support.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2015
  9. RomeoEcho

RomeoEcho Approved members

When I needed a replacement overseas, Tandem said that they couldn't ship anywhere outside the US for any reason. They did their best to help me, and gave me direct phone numbers to call back once I came up with an address they could ship to, but I had to have the replacement hand carried from the US to Singapore where I would next be able to meet someone. They did extend the return policy and I didn't get the original back to them for about three months, the next time someone was headed back. As awesome as their customer service is, the product hasn't been enough of a win for me to put up with the overseas hassle now that I don't make regular trips to the states and will be switching when my current stock of supplies runs out, probably another six weeks-ish.

10. GChick

GChick Approved members

From what I understand, if you know you are going to be traveling like that then you get a travel loaner BEFORE you go away as asking for a replacement while away as you've experienced, can indeed be a hassle.

You actually have the most similar situation to me than anyone I have spoken to, and from what I have heard, and this is something that may be done on a case by case basis, you could potentially get a "permanent" Travel Loaner pump. One that you keep permanently (or I suppose at least just until your warranty is up), carry with you on your trips, along with your regular pump but you absolutely do not open the box until you have a problem that they deam worthy enough for you to have to open it and then when you do get back, then you send them your "bad" one (assuming that is within a prescribed amount of time... Which may be what you might have the most difficult time with, so maybe it still won't work for you.)

You do however have a slightly worse situation in that you are SO much farther away from the U.S. than I am, so I'm sure that doesn't help. But I go to the U.S. at most 2-3 times a year for no more than a week at a time. (But have family there that also gets visited by other family here every once in a while, so... I guess helps me out quite a bit as well as far as getting things to and from).

Last edited: Apr 11, 2015
  11. Melissata

Melissata Approved members

Yes, I mean that we don't use the quick bolus feature, so not nearly so many button presses I would think compared to a person that uses it a lot. I was a bit sleep deprived yesterday, and realized right after I logged off! Hope Tandem makes an exception for you, they went above and beyond for us to get her on this pump even though we had not idea if insurance would cover it.

12. StacyMM

StacyMM Approved members

We don't bolus with it either but we did have one go bad. We plugged her in to use it until the replacement showed up. For us, replacement is really easy - just a few days - so it wasn't a big problem for us, though. I keep a few of those charging sticks and sent them with her to school so she could plug in if she didn't want to make an issue out of plugging in somewhere. I never realized how difficult it can be to handle these problems when out of the country! Only time we've been unable to get something was the Snap pump - my son wanted to trial it and it's not available in our state. As annoying as that was for my son, I can't imagine a country issue!

13. RomeoEcho

They did offer this at the time of my pump death. (It was the equivalent of a computer blue death screen) But they will only do it for three months at a time. For my specific situation, they were willing to do a continuous rotation, that I could always have a loaner without a more specific explanaition, but they would need to swap it out every 90 days. Something about the battery needing to be charged and they wouldn't let me open the box to recharge it. Since this was too short to be useful to me, I declined the offer. If you can get either travel to, or meet up with someone from, the US every three months, this may be worth it to you.

I do feel a little bad now for telling you originally that it wouldn't be as much of a problem :) It's certainly gotten more difficult for me too since then. I think Tandem has a good product, and a good business model. But I don't think they are yet reliable enough for people in extreme circumstances. And honestly, this is what originally got me from Animas to Medtronic, and what is sending me back now.

14. RomeoEcho

In most countries the annoyance is minor, if even noticeable, especially if you are traveling rather than a resident or citizen. But in others it is a completely different world. While a US resident, I spent a month in the jungle of Borneo, without refrigeration or access to medical care. My pump died in a rainstorm, and it honestly barely phased me, the ear infection I got on that trip was a much bigger deal. Living in certain places though can be a very big deal. I originally wanted to become an expat because I wanted some perspective on the world and my life. (I know it sounds cliche, but it's true) And medical stuff has been part of that perspective for me. I remember when I too chose meters based on features and convenience and perceived accuracy or decided whether I would pay a higher copay or not to get things I liked a little better. Now, when I get sick, I can't just go to the ER or call the 24 hour endo. I can't stop in the corner pharmacy and pay an enormous amount of money for an emergency vial of strips when I forget mine. When I had a pump problem when I went out of town, I had no choice but to stretch the insulin I had with me to last two weeks by syringe. I have all the strips, insulin and pump supplies I'm going to see for probably a year, and I don't actually know when I will be able to get more, what brand they'll be or what country they will be made in. I have to be ok and able to switch back and forth from mmol to mg/dl and u-100 to u-40 insulin depending on what I can get. I try to ration my sensors because I can't get more, but I also have only one transmitter and I don't want it to die before I use all my sensors. Way back in the day, I used to be paranoid and stockpile and carry lots of supplies, and over time I got more comfortable with how to handle emergencies and stopped worrying so much. Now I need to remember to be paranoid again because things are complicated now.

I had become very frustrated with the limitations of the US healthcare system, especially when I was in Europe for a while and saw that it could be different. And my frustration soared in the several years I spent waiting for the Vibe. But some perspective is nice sometimes. It may be far from the best, but it's easy to forget how much we truly have.

Also, whenever I fly out of my home airport now, I have to remove my sensor and infusion set before security. After years of telling people not to worry, that I flew hundreds of thousands of miles through dozens and dozens of airports that didn't speak english without problems, I now get strip searched if I have an infusion set in.

15. GChick

GChick Approved members

Ah. It was my understanding that they'd let ~you~ charge it once every 3-4 months (which I'm not sure how they'd be able to tell if that's all you took it out for, right?)

Heh. Don't. The only thing I think that would have had a role in my decision "if I would have known BEFORE I got it" would be that if I would have known that I would have been prepared to now start seeing a doc in my own country and the docs in this country cannot prescribe tslims or the various paraphernalia that goes with it. That's it. And that's only if I had never used it and had nothing else to go on.

Having used it however, and having dealt with the support etc through a problem (I heard back and it has worked out well), even knowing that will probably not change my mind when warranty is up.... probably. The "ease of use" to me is just too good in comparison to my (very limited) understanding of the others.

16. Ali

Ali Approved members

So I am not completely following you. Are you saying because you find yourself in areas with no access to pump and cgms supplies and maybe insulin, you have learned to deal with whatever you could find? I get that, I really cry for so many in very improvised areas that simply need more syringes and more insulin that does not need to be refrigerated. But now that you know all this stuff you can surely travel with enough syringes and animal insulins that do not need refrigeration? I am just not quite understanding your emphasis. I am not being snarky I promise, just not quite sure your point? I agree that travel is complicated, sadly just means you go old school when you are traveling, at least while going thru airports:)

17. RomeoEcho

Ali, I am very used to traveling. But I now live permanently in an area without access to "modern medicine." I have refrigeration, but not access to pretty much anything else. I am saying that you adapt, but it makes me truly appreciate all the options I had before, however frustrating they may have been. Mostly my point was trying to share that perspective with those who have not experienced it. It has been very different for me to go from a legal, part time, US resident, to not at all. And it's been useful to understand the differences.

18. Ali

Ali Approved members

Ahh thanks it is tough and we do get spoiled for choice, at least many of us, in the US when you can almost always find a 24 hour pharmacy or ER close by. Again not all, but many. Some of these issues are reasons I wish they could develop a Smart Insulin, an unrefrigerated type, as even with limited access it at least would eliminate the need for strips, one could probably get by with urine strips when needed, and things like batteries, pumps, etc. would not be needed. Still need the clean syringe but you would be down to one a day. Ali

Last edited: Apr 17, 2015