- advertisement -

First high since diagnosis

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by mysweetwill, Dec 21, 2011.

1. mysweetwill

mysweetwill Approved members

My son was diagnosed on 11/10/11 and probably has been honeymooning since Thanksgiving. He runs low, we have rarely (possibly never) given him a correction. In fact, since he was dropping at night our endo just lowered his bedtime lantus from 4 to 3. Wouldn't you guess, he had two highs yesterday (250 and 300 in the afternoon) and tonight was 162 at bed, checked at 10, it was 197, 10:30 was 228 and at 11 just now is 223. I am not sure what to do, should I wAke him to drink water? Can I give him a correction even though his lantus was given at 8? I can't help but wonder if it's the decreased lantus, if his honeymoon period is ending (was at endo today, said he wouldn't change a thing, numbers have been great, but expected honeymoon to last no longer than another month due to his age). I have to make a decision and I'm feeling Anxious that I will do the wrong thing, do not want a correction to result in a low! I could really use some guidance, thanks!!!!

2. Stacey Nagel

Stacey Nagel Approved members

I would not correct just yet... His lantus was at 8pm... when Jesse was on lantus, he would have a drop about 4-5 hrs after the shot... see what happens.... log his numbers for a few days...to see if a pattern develops...

did he have a snack after his lantus??
    there are many factors that have to be considered....

by the way- Jesse was diagnosed at 9 1/2 , and honeymooned for close to 2 years.....
    and if you're really stressed about- call the endo in the am.

3. mysweetwill

Thanks Stacey, I do sound excitable, don't I? I can't believe who I've become the last 6 weeks, second guessing myself constantly. As I'm looking over the last few days more carefully, I think there are specific reasons for the highs (rounding down on a dose yesterday and the ice cream he had before bed tonight).
    I'm glad to hear your son's honeymoon lasted so long, I hope the same happens for us.
    Thanks for listening!!

4. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

For myself I would definitely correct a 223 at midnight even if I'd taken the Lantus at 8 (and I actually take my Lantus around 9) but that's because I know that I'm not honeymooning and I have a rough idea of what my blood sugar will do overnight, and I can give a correction dose that has a fairly small impact on my blood sugar.
    Maybe your kid needs a lantus dose of 3 1/2 units.

It's only worth it to wake your son up to make him drink if blood sugars around 220 are likely to make him painfully dehydrated by the morning.

5. LJM

LJM Approved members

I would wait and see what the Lantus does at 5 hours in. That is when we typically saw a dip in BG when DS was on shots.

As Stacy said==your honeymoon may not be over. DS was diagnosed at 10 and honeymooned almost 2 years (can't see age has much to do with it).

6. mysweetwill

Thanks everyone, I chose not to correct because his short history has tended towards lows, by 3 am he was 138 and he was 123 when he woke up. So there you have it. I am still learning how not to let D get the best (worst?) of me.
    Our endo seemed to indicate that although every child is different, younger kids tend to honeymoon shorter than teens.

7. JaxDad

JaxDad Approved members

Great comments above.

I'll just add that ice cream has a tendency to produce late highs in my son Jack. If you happen to have it available where you live , we've had better results with Edy's Slow Churned Light Ice Cream which has 1/2 the fat and still tastes like the "real stuff".

8. Mommy For Life

Mommy For Life Approved members

We had these same high bg #s at night too. I would debate should I correct?? It is both frustrating and overwhelming not knowing what to do. You are on the right track not letting D get the best/worse of you! Olivia would wake up with good numbers just like your son. What we did change was the type of bedtime snacks she had....no more PB pretzels...those sent her bg high. Typically, I give her a cheese stick or or some turkey and just small amount of carbs 10g or less. I only give a carbs if her bg is lower than her target. One more thing... if I correct at night I am usually conservative with my dose because we are still in the honeymoon phase.

9. LJM

LJM Approved members

When they always wake up with good numbers you can tell you are still in the honeymoon.:)