advertisement

First day of school 504 plan?

Discussion in 'Stickies' started by DavaCos, May 17, 2013.

1. DavaCos

DavaCos New Member

Hi all, I'm very new to this site, I've only been here on maybe once or twice. I was wondering if anyone had any insight on a 504 plan ?

So my son Asher is 5 and was diagnosed a T1D at 3 1/2, and 6 months later with Celiac Disease. He is attending kindergarten in Sept, and this will be his first time in school since he was diagnosed. I've already met with the Special ED Coordinator, and the principle to start a dialogue. I believe it went well. I'm hoping we are all on the same page. I was wondering if anyone has started a very young child in school and how they managed it.

I really believe my son needs some type of medical aid with him even though the school has a full-time nurse. I'm sure everyone understands what its like caring for a young T1D who can't dose himself yet, or calculate carbs, or even know when he is high or low. I feel like if we have an aid or para professional that stays with him all day he won't need to constantly leave the class room and miss out on his education.

So how do you deal with a young T1D starting school? Any recommendations on what we would need to have written in our 504 plan? Do we need an IEP Instead? Did your child have a medical aid or not? How did you find a medical aid and how were they trained ? I just really need some advice because I want everything to be in place as of the first day of school. IE... NEED ADVICE FROM PARENTS WHO'VE DONE THIS

Thanks in Advance,
    Dava Costello
    Philly T1D Momma

2. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

If you post this in the regular parents section rather than as a sticky, you'll get tons of information about people's various experiences. It sounds though, like your relationship with the school is off to a positive start, which is wonderful.

If your son doesn't feel his highs or lows, I'd consider looking into getting him a Dexcom G4 CGM system. He will be much safer and feel better while with others who aren't as familiar with diabetes as you are. You'll probably be amazed yourself with the stress release it provides. Most parents love the device within the first 24 hours.

3. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

My dd was 4 at dx and was in a private preschool at the time. It was only half day and she was on NPH so the didn't have to do injections though they did check bg and treat lows and they supervised her meals and snacks.

The next year she attended kindy at our local public school. Class of 19, a teacher and a full-time aid for the entire class and a nurse down the hall. She did not have a dedicated aide.

We looked at her schedule, at her insulin peak times, at the physical layout of the school and proximity to the nurse and we established a schedule for routine check and a protocol for feeling unwell checks, for in class parties and for field trips and other special days.

I don't personally believe that D kids necessarily require or are even particularly well served by having an aide. When our dd was transitioning to independent care in the classroom in 3rd grade she had a share of an aide who was already assigned to the classroom to attend another child. This worked out well but only because the aide had more responsibility for the other child and wasn't just sitting around 95% of the time waiting for dd to check her bg or have a low.

I know that it's really frightening at first, but if you really get to know the lay of the land at school:,the schedule and the daily routine you really can devise a plan of care that will enable your child to be both safe and free from the constraint and stigma of having a minder. Work with the school, see if you can learn from their past experience with D kids, pay attention to activity level and insulin peak and meal times and you will be fine.:cwds: Well, the first 3 weeks will be hard work and exhausting, but once you have a system in place it will all become routine.

As for missing instructional time... it's kindy, I wouldn't worry. It's a great year for all the kids to get accustomed to "big kid school" and for our kids that means working those trips to the nurse into the day seamlessly - it realy can be done.;)

PS you might want to ask admin to move this thread to the main forum - there you will see more traffic

4. momof2marchboys

momof2marchboys Approved members

If your son has no other learning problems then a 504 would be what you want - and IEP is an Individual Educational Plan which sets goals for learning and the diabetes accommodations are added to it -
    We requested a 504 last fall for our K son but were told no we couldn't have one bc he has an IEP in place for his delayed development due to seizure disorder - but the school didn't tell us that we could attach what would have been in a 504 to his IEP making the school responsible for doing his blood sugar checks, counting carbs, allowing extra bathroom breaks, additional snacks ect.
    Check with your Endo's office and see if they have a social worker that can work with you - that is how I learned alot of our information about what the school can and can not do or tell you they have to provide or not provide

5. Austins mom

Austins mom Approved members

My son is in 1st grade and just diagnosed in December 2012. I started out talking to the school, they hired a nurse for the district right then. When he first went back to school after the hospital, the nurse was following him around. HE HATED IT! The kids kept talking about his babysitter etc... I talked to the school, they have the nurse keep her distance but so she can still moniter him. He is just learning to count carbs and doesnt do any of his own doses yet.
    My best advice is talk to the school, we had lots of issues at first but he now has an insulin pump and a great relationship with the nurse and I have a notebook the nurse and I send back and fourth to communicate his blood sugar through out the day and etc. Im so thankful for all of their help!!! Impossible with out their cooperation I think.

6. missmakaliasmomma

missmakaliasmomma Approved members

No, you need a 504 definitely. He's too young to fully take care of his diabetes by himself. I'm not sure why you have to meet with the special ed coordinator though.. we didn't. My daughter is starting kindergarten this year also and we have to go to a meeting with a letter from her dr stating why she needs a 504 so they can approve it based on medical necessity. The school nurse we met with even suggested a 504 before I could even mention it. It's very important to have. We will definitely be asking for a full time aide. My daughter's health is wayy too important to me than to just wing it and hope that going to the school nurse is enough. I will want her to have an aide until she can manage her diabetes by herself. Please pursue a 504.

7. cm4kelly

cm4kelly Approved members

My 5 year old and school

My son was diagnosed at 2 1/2 and started pumping at the age of three.

He started preschool at the age of 3 1/2 and just finished K-5. He will be a big first grader next year!

Starting school can be VERY stressful, but if you have a 504 plan and a school nurse who you communicate with on a regular basis, your child will be fine.

My son goes to the nurse for BG checks before lunch (not missing much instruction), after lunch for dosing, and before getting on the school bus in the pm - these visits he all makes on his own. His 504 plan also has him going to the nurse anytime he doesn't feel well (he can recognize his lows) - if he feels bad, he MUST be accompanied by an adult. We also started a CGM Dex system in February, so he would go to the nurse if his alarm went off.

Believe me - all of us parents know how stressful the start of school is, BUT personally I don't feel want my child to be viewed differently and to me an AIDE draws a lot of attention to your child. Unless there are severe circumstances that warrant am aide, I would have a written 504 plan and LOTS Of contact with your child's teachers and the nurse. I took it upon myself to educate them.

The nurse emails me or calls me if anything wierd is going on that day, so we are in constant communication. I also REPEATEDLY express appreciation for all she does for my son.

PM me if you want some specifics that are on our 504 plan. We met with the school nurse during meet the teacher and later on to develop the 504 plan. Good luck!

8. missmakaliasmomma

My dd was diagnosed at 1.5 yrs and started pumping 2 months ago. She starts kindergarten this year and there was no way I was sending her to school without an aide. It's a good thing you never needed one but there's no way I'd feel comfortable without her having one. She will have an aide until she's old enough to say " I feel low I need to go to the nurse." I don't want her to have an aide for the rest of her school year of course but I feel that at 4, they need one. Maybe I feel this way though because I have been with her 24/7 for so long now I don't feel comfortable with anyone taking care of her so it's a biggg adjustment for me

We had the 504 meeting today and found out my dd will be in class with another diabetic and they will share that aid. I love the fact that they put them in the same class. At least she won't feel like she's the only one.

9. missmakaliasmomma

Yes, he needs an aide at that age. I don't care what other people say, he's too young to always know when he's low. They legally have to provide an aid if your dr says he needs one. He doesn't need an IEP unless he has some sort of learning disability. I went for my dds 504 meeting today. They wanted her to have an aide before I even gave them the paperwork from my dr! The dr stated that this aide had to be "diabetes management" trained. But basically, they just need to be able to do finger sticks and know highs and lows. Unless that aide is a nurse, they can't give insulin anyway so he'd still be going to the nurse. You might have an issue if you wait too long since school is out for the summer after late June (here at least) and then you might have to wait til they start again. That's why we did it now.

10. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

The OP hasn't been back since she posted this and didn't respond to this thread http://forums.childrenwithdiabetes.com/showthread.php?t=64597a few years ago....:confused:

To the OP, you might want to post on the main Parents of Children with Type 1 forum, and you might get more from posting if you return and engage.:cwds: That's pretty much how it works best. Otherwise the folks who respond to your request for help and pretty much talking to themselves.

11. Michelle'sMom

Michelle'sMom Approved members

By this standard, my 14 yr old would require an aide, since she's hypo unaware.

12. CyndiF

CyndiF Approved members

504 Specifics? How about just a lunch aide?

I am compiling my 504 list now for my 7 year old, he already has a 504 plan for ADHD, so my first question for this group is, should we have a separate one, or add to the existing? Does my pediatric endo need to order all these things, and does she see it first?

As far as an aid, I am struggling with this, as has been pointed out by both sides, on the one hand, I dont know if my newly diagnosed son can recognize his lows, but he has a great teacher and the school's nurse is wonderful. I dont want him to feel labeled or different, we are struggling with this enough as it is, so ahving someone tagging around all the time seems excessive. My main concern is lunch, my husband and I have been taking turns for two weeks heading up there to make sure he eats what we pack and that simply can't continue. His lunchroom is a bit chaotic and other than the lunchladies and a random volunteer grandpa, there is very little adult supervision. Therefore, I think I am going to request that an adult "supervise" his lunch and monitor his food intake. Anyone have thoughts on that?

As far as my 504 points, here is what I have so far:
    • Carry supplies with him around school
    • Unlimited bathroom and water breaks during day
    • Lunches supervised by adult, including monitoring of his lunch intake and assisting with purchase of additional items as written each day (ie milk purchase, extra veggies from line)
    • Testing accomodations (postpone if BG is off, more time if condition requires)
    • Visits to school nurse as needed (at least twice a day for monitoring BG)
    • Supervised (by adult) when visiting nurse if feeling unwell

Thanks - this forum is the best resource I have yet to help me with the day-to-day issues of a newly diagnosed child...