- advertisement -

First day back

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by mcphelster, Feb 28, 2015.

1. mcphelster

mcphelster Approved members

Well, my son had his first day back at school since his diagnosis and hospital stay last Friday. I can say he started the day off very negative and I was so worried that his day would be a disaster the minute anyone asked anything about his absence. He was in the nurses office a few minutes before me this morning and left as soon as I got there (didn't hurt my feelings at all, really! ;) ) The nurse looked at me and said, "Oooh, he is maaad!" Apparently, she greeted him and asked how he was and he told her, " Bad, I don't want to be here." Aw, sorry buddy, but can't stay away forever. I felt so bad even though I knew I was doing the right thing by making him go back today.

Anyway, after school he told me he had a good day, no one pestered him about where he'd been and his few friends who knew he'd been in the hospital (mom's have fb and saw my posts) didn't say more than the usual " I heard you were in the hospital" So he said school was only bad because it's school and not because anyone bothered him. Oh and he said al his teachers were very nice to him. :)

So very glad he got the first day back under is belt.

2. oncrn93

oncrn93 New Member

So many emotions at that age. My dd was diagnosed on 2/6/15. The tears....from her and me. I kept her home after discharge for one day so she could get used to being independent with the shots and checking just to give her a little TLC. It's such an adjustment to get used to all this stuff! My daughter says she misses not being able to eat what she wants whenever she wants. They used to share food at the lunch table, now she can't do that anymore. (she takes her insulin before her meal) I will tell you that she feels SO much better since the diagnosis though. It's amazing what a little insulin will do!:)

3. KHS22

KHS22 Approved members

Oh I'm so glad his day was mostly good! Its an awkward age to be dx for sure… so self conscious about everything!! Hopefully once a few people know, and he's more comfortable with the diagnosis himself, he'll feel more comfortable with others knowing…

4. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

I don't know if your son is in the US and if in a public school but if he is you should look at the ADA site for information about developing a 504 plan. That he's happy at school is one thing, that he's safe and accommodated is another.

5. mcphelster

mcphelster Approved members

Sarah, I am in the US, TX to be exact and I am awaiting the call back with the date for the 504 meeting. :) Kelly takes ADD meds and so knows the nurse and nurses assistant extremely well and they are incredibly supportive of him and his dealing with the diabetes, also, not their first rodeo. That makes me feel better in the mean time, but I know it doesn't guarantee that everyone else will be as supportive and understanding, so 504, here we come! Thank you for the advice, I really appreciate it, Sarah!

6. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Supportive is great but what you need at school is safe and accommodated, especially in a newly dxd kid who by your past posts is taking fairly large doses pre-honeymoon and who may need help with hypos in the days/weeks to come. Just because school nurses have perhaps had other kids with Type 1 doesn't mean that they have experience managing in the manner that you elect to manage things. Teachers also need to be informed, especially PE teachers and as you've mentioned grades in other posts you'll want to consider setting test taking thresholds for exams that impact grades. Don't let them wait too long to arrange for a 504 meeting.

7. BarbDwyer

BarbDwyer Approved members

First day is the hardest and it is over! I'm glad it went well. Fingers crossed that things go smoothly with the 504 planning.