- advertisement -

First D sick day

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by jenm999, May 27, 2014.

1. jenm999

jenm999 Approved members

Well that was fun. DS woke up crying at 11 pm last night. BG 143, no fever, upset tummy. 30 minutes later he throws up. For some reason I thought to check his ketones and they were 2.2. 2.2!!! We gave .5 units, pushed Gatorade, and he threw up again, but his ketones went down to 1.9. Endo on call thought they were starvation ketones and not d related and he just needed water. Since the Gatorade was making him feel gross I gave him 2 glucose tabs to balance out the insulin and then we stayed up snuggling and talking (that part was nice) and sipping water for another hour. Finally we all fell asleep around 3:30 with ketones at .7. They are back up this morning to 1.7. About to call our CDE but any advice appreciated. Also, diabetes sucks!!!

2. Snowflake

Snowflake Approved members

What have his bgs been since the 143? Some bugs make my kid go high and other low, with little rhyme or reason, so it helps to know which you're dealing with. Illness highs are a little easier for us, because we can be freer with the insulin, which really helps get on top of the ketones.

Also, if he vomits again, and continues to run ketones, perhaps ask your endo team (or alternatively your pedi) about whether they're willing to prescribe zofran without him coming in. It's a powerful anti-nausea medicine, and sometimes getting on top of the vomitting is the only way to get the child to rehydrate. Some endos are freer with the zofran Rxes than others; our endo won't prescribe it, but our pediatrician gave us a prophylactic scrip a while back. I'm dashing this off quickly without time to find links, but I recall that there are a LOT of archival threads on CWD about zofran if you want to learn more.

And, yes, diabetes sucks!!!

3. jenm999

jenm999 Approved members

Zofran is a great idea, Snowflake, thanks for the tip! Will ask our endo. He has had a great day - he's emptying the dishwasher now while whistling so I hope it was just a fluke. After a good breakfast and sipping water all morning his ketones are down to .1. BG stayed between 80 and 150.

4. faithfaery7

faithfaery7 Approved members

I don't know how you did it! This is one of my biggest fears. I probably would have been driving DS and myself to the ER the second he had ANY sort of keytones. The thought of him getting ill is such a huge fear for me.

I hope your son is feeling better quickly!

5. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

Diabetes gets easier...or less hard. Each experience you deal with gives you more info on how your child reacts and the next time you face that, you go in with more knowledge and experience. The first year, sickness filled me with utter panic. Now we've been through so many fevers, etc. that it's just another day most of the time. Line up the thermometer, glucose meter, ketone meter.... I actually find non-vomiting sick days some of the easiest management days because of no or less eating and no activity. (Disclaimer: we CGM so I up her basal to whatever she needs and then keep a close eye on it.)

I would HIGHLY recommend you get a blood ketone meter before illness strikes. The strips cost more, but they are individually wrapped so there's less waste, plus the expiration date is 18 months out or something like that. You can get either brand meter (NovaMax or Precision X-tra) free by googling and contacting the company. There's nothing worse than missing a urine sample when a test is warranted.

6. jenm999

jenm999 Approved members

Our insurance provides blood ketone meter and ample strips. We only use the ketostix for travel to save space.

Honestly I think this may have been food poisoning or something like that because he was fine in the morning and great all day - good BG readings and ketones were eventually back to .1.

I will ask about an Rx for Zofran to have on hand for the future.

7. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

And next time you see the endo, ask about starvation ketones. It's a really important distinction to have under your belt.

8. Andy'sMom

Andy'sMom Approved members

Hope your guy is feeling better now. Just wanted to mention, when our guy has a stomach bug, his blood sugar will run low for days (sometimes weeks) after. With every other illness (random fever, strep, whatever), his blood sugar goes high, high, high, but for stomach bugs we are always fighting the lows. Just be on the lookout in case you need to adjust insulin. Good luck and hope his (and your) ordeal is over for this one!

9. faithfaery7

faithfaery7 Approved members

Just a quick question when it comes to sick day management. Is a "sick day" only when your D child is vomiting or has a fever? Or would something like pink eye have an effect? Just trying to figure out what I need to be keeping an eye out for.

10. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

Vomiting is by far the hardest scenario, but you will find lots of things affect BGs. I don't know about pink eye, but colds, even without fever, are tough. Any time the immune system is active, it can affect things. But, so can virtually everything else. :wink: