- advertisement -

Finger SOS

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by monkeyschool, May 3, 2011.

1. monkeyschool

monkeyschool Approved members

How do you handle the finger tips? My daughter's look like a pin cushion. Is there a way to make the marks disappear?

Thank you,
    D.

2. manda81

manda81 Approved members

For us, changing lancets was the cure. We swapped to Tiniboy Lancets for a while, and then we got a Multiclix.

Even with the Multiclix, we still go back to the Tiniboy lancets when we seem to have a lot of marks. Those things are pretty amazing.

Here's a link: http://www.tiniboy.com/

I think they're compatable with quite a few lancers, we used ours in the one we got with out one-touch.

3. monkeyschool

Awesome, thank you! We use a multiclix now, but have the ones that came with the meter too....will get a couple of boxes of these and give them a try. :)

4. dejahthoris

dejahthoris Approved members

I dont know if this will help, but we use delica lancet on a low setting, 3 along with freestyle lite meter with the butterfly strips with zipwik which uses the very smallest drop of blood, so it makes for teeny holes which are almost non-existent. It also has a light on it for night time checks. I LOVE it.

5. Caldercup

Caldercup Approved members

My son loves his Delica -- and his fingers seem to as well.

As for helping to lessen the pinholes, he has a gentle pumice stone (like THIS) that he uses on his fingertips once a week after taking a shower and then he applies vitamin E oil (pierces the capsule and squeezes it out) before putting on cotton gloves for the night. It seems to work for him!

6. bnmom

bnmom Approved members

Another vote for the Delica...and vitamin E.

Bobby hates the greasy feel of the vitamin E, so I just rub it on his fingertips while he's asleep (right after a middle of the night check)

7. dejahthoris

dejahthoris Approved members

Oh and I forgot you can get a free freestlye lite and I think its like ten test strips from this website.

https://www.myfreestyle.com/index.html

Did I mention how much I am in love with the teeny weeny blood sample size? ;)

8. monkeyschool

Thank you all so much for the feedback. We have the freestyle light right now (that's the one they gave us in the hospital), but have been using the multiclix lancet. I was trying to avoid having DD take lancets with her to activities so we thought the drum was better.

I ordered to boxes of the 36G lancets...I am thinking we'll try those at home, and stick to the multiclix during activities to see how it goes.

I'll try the pumice and Vit E too.

Thank you again,
    D.

9. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

I would not waste my time or money on the Tinyboy. I did and found the quality of them very poor. Here are my recommendations:

Use the side of the finger.
    Rotate fingers every time.
    Use a Delica.
    Use a Freestyle meter and the new butterfly test strips which need the smallest blood sample size in the world. It is amazing how little blood you need. Therefore, you barely need to nick the finger so there is much less trauma.

10. monkeyschool

Thank you. Can you tell me the difference between the Delica and the other lancets? Is it the gauge? We are doing sides and rotating as well as using freestyle right not - the problem is that we are testing a min of 10 times each day (~4 hr of activitiy is killing the fingers w/extra tests :((()

11. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

I am not sure, but it feels like the mechanism is different than the lancer that came with the Freestyle meter. The lancet gauge it 33g.

Last edited: May 3, 2011
  12. monkeyschool

I'll check them out. Thank you again.
    D.

13. Lee

Lee Approved members

Honestly, after about 6 months, her fingers toughened up :( and she no longer had the pin cushion look. But I remember crying the first time she played in the dirt and I saw all the holes.

14. NomadIvy

NomadIvy Approved members

Yes, it was heartbreaking to see her fingers when playing in the sandbox.. or after swimming. I haven't checked lately. Does it really get better?

15. deafmack

deafmack Approved members

I learned to not test on the finger tips but to test on the sides of the finger tips not on the tips themselves. Also I use one finger for each day and then rotate to the next finger although you might find that using two fingers for each day better. With me because I use the same finger all day and then rotate to the next finger it is 9 full days before I come to that finger again giving it a chance to rest or heal up. Using a hand lotion also help as well.

16. annaluvspink

annaluvspink Approved members

Yes, I believe it's not only the fine gauge lancet that provides comfort, but the least amount of vibration that the lancer does = more comfort. I myself, have never tried the Delica...we use Multiclix.

17. Catiesmom

Catiesmom Approved members

We stopped testing on the fingertips and now use the outer side of the palm, hurts less and I consistently get the same number with that and a finger stick when I check. Her fingertips are healthy and normal now.

Catie age 10.5 dx 6/19/09 ping since 9/28/10

18. Hudson_Rocks

Hudson_Rocks Approved members

I never noticed the pricks on his fingers, but they are getting callused and he has to change the setting sometimes to "3" vs the "1" initially used. :( That has probably been one of the hardest things for me, those callused fingers.

But he also games on the computer a lot and builds/paints models and things like that....those toughen fingers too :cwds: