advertisement

Finding It Hard

Discussion in 'UK' started by Juliana1245, Nov 16, 2012.

1. Juliana1245

Juliana1245 Approved members

Is anyone else finding it hard to control their Diabetes? You feel like its constantly bringing you down and slowing you down ? You feel you can't do certain activities you wanted to because you get so tired and weak?
    Has anyone once just stop taking the insulin to try and forget you have Diabetes?

Anyone on this boat or does it sail alone ?

2. kiwiliz

kiwiliz Approved members

Oh Juliana - I'm sorry you are feeling like this. I can tell you there are hundreds of kids all round the world feeling exactly as sick of diabetes as you are! It is a pain - but you have to treat it like homework - get it sorted so you can get on with having fun. It will get easier to handle as you get older. :) and again - you are not alone. :) Keep on top! X

3. obtainedmist

obtainedmist Approved members

Hi Juliana,
    Burn-out is very common when it comes to doing all the tasks associated with T1. You are not alone and you don't have to deal with this all by yourself! I would talk with your Dr. about how you are feeling and try to trouble shoot ways to help you feel more in control. Maybe you need a different insulin regime that would help you feel much better. If it's possible, you would certainly benefit from talking to a therapist about this burn-out...someone who specializes in those who have chronic illness. Maybe you could buddy up with a fellow T1 who could motivate you. Most important...don't give up...don't stop taking the insulin because that will lead to a world of problems that you don't want to have. Please take care!

4. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

Talk to your parents and tell them how burned-out you feel. I have a 13-year-old who did almost all of the physical parts of her D-care the first year and then burnt out. Now some days she does most; others days I do most. I would MUCH rather carry the weight for her on the days she needs it than have her not take insulin because diabetes has gotten to be too much. Our hospital team told us at diagnosis to expect and be ready to take over for periods, even when she's 18. To ask your parents to help out is NOT failure; it is needing a break from a non-stop, difficult condition.

What activities are making you weak and low? You'd probably get lots more replies if you post in the Parents section, but if you post scenarios, we'd all be willing to help with what works for our kids. I know exercise was a real challenge for us when we started pumping, but we took the T1U classes and worked with one of their CDEs and it goes mostly smoothly here now.

5. Juliana1245

Thanks to you all for the replies :) much appreciated and I will take on all the advice given to control my Diabetes better :D Just walking far distances makes me go low and weak or just some long periods of certain sports like football certainly drains me out

6. obtainedmist

obtainedmist Approved members

My daughter did crew this year and found that she would need to take a juice box with and sip on it occasionally. She would also prepare ahead of time by getting her bg up before exercise...that with a combination of lowering the basal. I don't know if you are pumping...if not, then you'd need to get your bg up by eating beforehand. Anyway, since everyone is different, you need to experiment and learn what works for you with trial and adjustment!

7. Juliana1245

Yes I guess need to experiment more and nope I'm on insulin twice in the morning and evening. Novorapid and Glargine (Lantus)

8. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

There's another poster from the UK on here: Emma. Maybe you could PM her. She pumps and could give you good information on how it works for her and how she got it with your healthcare system. Pumping has made things much better for my daughter with puberty hormone changes. Basal levels can be dropped for activities like walking, running, swimming, etc.

9. Juliana1245

Thanks a ton :D