- advertisement -

Figuring out carbs...

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by januaryblue, Jun 22, 2010.

1. januaryblue

januaryblue Approved members

So I am in a fortunate situation where we are not dosing carbs yet, just doing Lantus, but I have been trying to get in the groove of counting carbs and the CDE asked me to keep better track since we are seeing a few higher numbers this week.

How do you count the carbs in homemade baked goodies? I made my husband caramel brownies for fathers day (gluten free so my daughter could eat them too), Samantha had a small square of it today (and now she's at 200-so I think we need to up the insulin). How do I figure out the carbs in it? Any suggestions? Do I need to seperate and count a small brownie and maybe a square or two of caramel candy?

2. HBMom

HBMom Approved members

3. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

Well, I"m saving up for a scale, I really really need one as I bake and cook from scratch a lot, but they are pricey and I am broke!

I've been told that my process is laborous, but it is what I am comfortable with, so it's what I do! I make a log sheet of all the ingredients (the ones with carbs anyway) in the recipe, I have streamlined it for frequently used items...flour is x carbs per cup, etc. Then I add up the whole mess, so a batch recipe may have 500 carbs...then I just count how many it makes, so a regular batch of choco chip cookies makes about 32, I divide the total by the number.

I only do this once per recipe, then in subsequent remakes we use that original, even though it clearly could vary some by batch. I have a notebook with frequently made items, like my homemade waffles, choco chip cookies, cake mix cookies, etc, so now I just have to refer to my notebook.

I do this for all my recipes, including soups and everything. It's kind of a PITA the first time but I do tend to repeat recipes a lot so I'm doing it less and less now. I'm also getting good at eyeing my crockpot and knowing when it's at the 10 cup mark vs the 12 cup mark and I rarely measure anymore, I just know the whole recipe is 150 grams and I made 10 cups, etc.

I also have a scoop that is exactly half a cup, so I just label it with how many carbs per scoop.

I'd love a scale though, and hope to have one soon!

4. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

I add up the carbs in the recipe and divide by the number of pieces I cut the brownies into.

Oh, who am I kidding? I look at the box. ;)

5. MikailasMom

MikailasMom Approved members

Ours is similar to your notebook, we use index cards for frequently made things but we also write down common bought things like juices, bag cereal before it goes in the container, and danimals and other things that come in boxes and get dumped in the drawer of the fridge to save space.

That website is a huge help too. We used to weigh everything zero out the scale for the pan and divide by ounces to make cassarole. What a pain! LOL

6. tbcarrick

tbcarrick Approved members

The nutritionist gave us a "cheat sheet" it has a number by each food,and
    we then multiply that by the ounces.I have figured them out several times,
    and each time I have come very close to the number of carbs that I thought it should be.If you want I can send it to you via email..I use this ALL the time,it makes things so easy. :D

7. januaryblue

januaryblue Approved members

Thanks everyone. I didn't preslice the brownies all into even slices ...so I'm not sure how much in the whole recipe to divide it, but now I do! Like I said, i am given a little extra learning time since we aren't dosing the carbs yet, so that's a blessing most people would probably love to have had. I went ahead and figured a small brownie and a brach's milk maid caramel-which I used in the recipe. And that's a lot of carbs, no wonder her sugars went so high!

I love the link to the website, I bookmarked it an will use it in the future.

I have started a journal a week or so ago so that I could write things in, I've been trying to be good about recording everything in it, Its nice to be able to look and see common meals and not have to redo the math.