- advertisement -

Field Trips

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by iluvmhp, Sep 12, 2009.

1. iluvmhp

iluvmhp Approved members

Ok, my dd was dx Feb 08, she turned 9 2 weeks after dx. I have been on every school field trip since. The school says either it is me or the school nurse. It wasnt a problem last year.......

The 5th grade girl does not want me on field trips, does not want to call me from the class room with any questions and definitely wants to be more independent.

I want her to be independent. I want her to be happy and be like every other 10 year old 5th grader without their parent on the next field trip. Ok, so do you have the school nurse leave the school of 800 children to go on a field trip with your daughter??? She doesnt want that either. What to do???

I can tell the next few years are going to be lots and lots of fun. ;)

2. fredntan2

fredntan2 Approved members

budget cuts have helped eliminate a lot of the field trips here.

The last one I went to-was totally boring for me. but the teachers do need volunteers to help with the kids-

If you're able to go then just go as volunteer

3. iluvmhp

iluvmhp Approved members

I can make arrangements to go as a volunteer....it is just my dd doesnt want me to anymore. She is tired of me being on all the field trips :)

4. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

If your daughter doesn't want you or the nurse to go, is she able to test and deal with her own insulin administration? If so, then maybe the other adults who go on the field trip can be made aware of basic diabetes issues to look out for but let your daughter do all her care. The other option is to have the school train someone in specific diabetes care and have that person accompany your daughter. Good luck...:cwds:

5. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

Don't interact with her during the field trips unless you have to. Can you just keep an eye on her from a distance?

6. iluvmhp

iluvmhp Approved members

I try to "stay away", but I guess I am not good enough at it :). Thanks for the advice!

7. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

We're in the same boat. :cwds:

I'm planning on letting Maddie go on field trips on her own now that she's in Middle school. She'll have her phone and we'll sit down together to discuss the agenda for the day and to strategize when and where she'll need to be taking her D into consideration and how she'll communicate any unusual needs to the teachers etc. The only exception I'd make to this would be a full day trip that included all out physical activity - but a trip to the Statehouse, or a museum... those I think she's ready to manage on her own. ;)

8. iluvmhp

iluvmhp Approved members

The school district is saying either the nurse or a parent has to go. I guess I can add that in my 504. Someone else could be trained in case of emergency?? She loves the nurse, she loves me :), but doesnt want us hanging around her all the time!

9. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

oh - sorry :eek: missed that detail. I had the same choice last year and I could never bring myself to make the nurse go on field trips for just the reason you mentioned - too many other kids back at school counting on her. ;) Maybe you can look into the school policy for 6th grade as see if it differs - if so then maybe you can strike a bargain ( as we did last year) that you'll go along for 5th grade trips but not when she gets to middle school ( assuming your school system is structured this way) hmmm I think I need more coffee:rolleyes: Hope that made some sense :p

10. Mary Lou

Mary Lou Approved members

wouldn't the school hire a sub nurse to either attend the field trip or stay behind at the school? That is what our school does when a parent cannot go on the field trip. And, the nurse goes whenever there is a child with medical needs, not just D.

11. Mikker

Mikker Approved members

This is where covert parenting skills comes into play, though I'm sure some parents would disagree. :D

IMO, it's not always necessary to tell your children that you drove over to their field trip location/game/practice independently and found a nice quiet spot in the parking lot to read your book. Or that it's important for them to know that their teacher/adult volunteer knows this and has your cell number.

In the event of an emergency, you are immediately accessible to render aid. It should satisfy the schools requirements, and can give your child the 'independence' that he/she feels they want right now. The 'impression' of independence can be just as important in their emotional growth as the real thing. If they get into any trouble, I'm sure they would be glad that you were there.

12. iluvmhp

iluvmhp Approved members

Thank you all so much for your advice. I really appreciate it. I will look into what the middle school policy is. I believe the school would hire a sub nurse, but I just cant get myself to make the school do this. I can arrange my work schedule so I can be available. They are running so short as it is and budget cuts are huge, I just feel bad to ask them to do this (I am a softy sometimes). I love the idea of just following behind the field trip and laying low. I will have to ask if this will "satisfy their requirements". Thank you all again!

13. Mikker

Mikker Approved members

We fell a lot the same way. With dwindling extra curricular's, always short on needed supplies, growing classroom sizes... it's really difficult to ask the district to go to additional expense for the sole sake of our son.

We're fortunate that we are generally able to make ourselves available for our son's school activities (generally 'covert'), and the school has been very accommodating. As long as we keep ourselves within a 5 minute response time to any emergencies, they feel that federal and district requirements are being met.

14. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

I guess I understand what you are saying, but how bad would you feel if something happened to your child because there was no one there to care for them? I say, put your (well intentioned) feelings aside, and look out for those who are most important in your life, your child. The school will take care of its own budget and its own issues. Just my 2 cents. :cwds:

15. iluvmhp

iluvmhp Approved members

thank you again. I am going to try this and see if it will fly! Hey, I might get a minute to myself alone in a coffe shop around the corner too! :)

16. mamort

mamort Approved members

This is what happens at our school.