- advertisement -

Field trips & Glucagon

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by TheTestingMom, Jun 5, 2013.

1. TheTestingMom

TheTestingMom Approved members

Do you make sure someone who is allowed to give Glucagon is always on your T1D's field trips?
    All our 5th graders are having a tour of the middle school they will be attending next fall. I don't have many details about the field trip yet as I'm waiting for the teacher to email me back. I'm stuck on what to do about Glucagon since in only parents and the school nurse are allowed to pierce the skin. In the past I've always gone on the field trips (it's written into his 504) Honestly I don't want to chaperone this time but don't know what to do about the Glucagon.

2. TheTestingMom

TheTestingMom Approved members

Yikes, double post?

3. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Yes, many field trips without glucagon. She brings juice and tabs and a tester and I feel ok with that.:cwds:

4. liasmommy2000

liasmommy2000 Approved members

Someone being able to administer Glucagon is my requirement. However since we have NO nurses/nurse aids in our school district, that just means a trained aid. Though for the most part I or my mother have gone on most field trips. Those that we didn't in elementary school, an aide went. Now in middle school I went last year and this year I trained the teacher (her Spanish teacher) that was in charge of her group.

5. tammy82

tammy82 Approved members

In my daughter's school there are 3 other people along with the nurse who is trained on Glucagon administration. I don't know if I would feel right sending my child on a trip where she couldn't have the glucagon if needed. Do you have any sort of 504 plan?

6. mamattorney

mamattorney Approved members

Is there a nurse at the middle school? If so, then it's really just the trip there and the trip back that could possibly be an issue. I don't know the distance between the elementary school and middle school (ours are about 10 minutes apart), but since I don't carry glucagon with me on trips like that on a regular basis, I'd be totally fine with it.

7. Mish

Mish Approved members

On a trip like this I'd let it slide. I generally never leave the house without glucagon, I always have it in my purse but realistically the chances of something happening while on a tour of a school are not the same as if they were going on a tour of a trampoline factory with 2 hours of play time at the end. ;)

8. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

This is where I am. Except I am much more lax about carrying glucagon. As in, I almost never do. :eek:

9. LoveMyHounds

LoveMyHounds Approved members

I have a funny :confused: story:
    Field trip to the theatre, with the substitute nurse. All of the sudden I get the phone call, that the pod stopped working :mad:. Took me 40 minutes to get there, I meet DD and the nurse and the door, quick pod change, I check the BG - it is 105. I say: "thank God, I was afraid it is high by now. And the nurse says:"Oh, don't worry - I have glucagon" :rolleyes:

10. susanlindstrom16

susanlindstrom16 Approved members

So far, for all of my daughter's field trips either I or a nurse has been present. But she is also only 5 and in pre-k and this is her first year having diabetes. Do you have the tubes of "cake gel" stuff? Maybe you can give them to the teacher? I know its not the same thing as glucagon but nobody needs training to use those and I think I might feel ok with that when my daughter is a bit older.

11. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

IF my dd was so out of it that she needed glucagon, then I would rather them control the situation and call 911. We have glucagon in her D kit but have never asked for anyone at school to be trained, I want them comfort her with reassurances and not fumble with something that they have never done.

12. Jaredsmom

Jaredsmom Approved members

We don't leave home without it. We have had to give it 4 times. Granted 3 of those times were when he was still on MDI and the last one happened at school when he was mistakenly bolused for a high when he wasn't actually high. We could probably stop carrying now that we have the Dexcom but after seeing our son seize 3 times from low bg I won't risk it. Everyone that works with Jared is trained how to give glucagon this includes all his teachers and his bus driver.

13. tammy82

tammy82 Approved members

I carry it at all times now. You just never know what will happen. While on vacation the one time I didn't carry it is when there was an emergency. We went to the coffee shop in the resort we were staying in the morning to get breakfast. I did check her beforehand and she was at an ok # but had given her a juice box to also drink on the way. Once we got there she zoned out & fell, luckily I knew what was going to happen and caught her fall, she did have a seizure. My other 8 year old daughter had to run to the hotel room we were staying, which was some crazy 6 digit number that she actually remembered. By the time I got it from her it was minutes, I would say the medics got there after I had given the shot. I would have rather spared myself watching my daughter go through what she did & for as long as she did along with me flipping out & crying because there was nothing I could do at the moment. Had I had the glucagon on me it would have been taken care of right away. Its a very scarey thing. I can say I never want to go through that again and learned a big lesson.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2013
  14. Jaredsmom

Jaredsmom Approved members

That's my point if your child is seizing you don't want to delay treatment. Even though giving glucagon may be scary. So is sitting there watching a child seize and not being able to do anything about it. The procedure really isn't that complicated. There is even a free app that runs you thu the steps on I devices. We use our expired glucagon kits to train staff every year how to give it. We feel it is an important safety measure. We also go thu the steps our selves periodically just to refresh our memories in case we have to use it.

15. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

I guess that the fact that the fire department is only 2 minutes away and they know of all of the kiddos with health issues, and persoanlly know my dd, that is a major factor for me. Along with the fact that my dd has never had a seizure even with fast lows into the 30-40's.

I have to admit that I had never done the whole glucagon procedure until last year when i was making a presentation for my nursing class, And as someone that knew in my head what to do, but faced with a stellar classmate that was a theater major and was the best unconscience "d" person, IT WAS HARD TO DO.