- advertisement -

Field trips and numbers

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by ksartain, May 20, 2014.

1. ksartain

ksartain Approved members

I went on a field trip with my son yesterday to the aquarium. He had oatmeal for breakfast and spiked around 9:00. Arrived at the aquarium at 11:00. By 12:10, he was down to 58 via meter and 53 and headed down according to Dexcom. I can only assume it was the excitement of being at the aquarium that caused him to go down like he did. He was unable to get on the bus to go back to school because he has to be at 100 or higher to ride the bus, so it's a good thing I was there and could take him in my car. His teacher said she was very relieved that I was going and said if he was 58 and headed down and I wasn't here, she would have freaked out. Of course, had Christopher checked his Dexcom when it first beeped instead of waiting until it alarmed at 55, that might have helped. :)

He bounced back to 143 and all was good. The second leg of the field trip was to a local park. Of course! And when it was time to go, he was 87 and headed down. Once again, the entire field trip would have been held up to wait until he was up to 100 if I hadn't been there to be able to take him with me.

So I guess I'm going on all field trips from now on and driving myself. This has been the first one they've had this year and I was lucky to be able to go. My Principal is very understanding about that, thank goodness.

2. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Yes, I remember those '-) But I wonder if it wouldn't be easier for you to just go along on the bus with everyone else? That way you are there to deal with whatever needs watching and he's not getting put off the bus like he's too fragile or like he's being punished. And you don't have the waste of gas or the job of managing troublesome bgs while driving.

3. Lisa - Aidan's mom

Lisa - Aidan's mom Approved members

Glad you were able to take care of him!
    Does a nurse go on field trips? We have a sub nurse that goes on field trips, she is a kind person, but is about 80 and has to lug around this gigantic suitcase on wheels that has supplies for the three 4th grade Type 1s, a dozen epi-pens, inhalers, etc. for all the kids. I'm glad I went last year when they went to a nature preserve, she was nowhere in sight when DS went low.
    They are going to a museum this year, not sure if I am going to go yet.

4. ksartain

I probably can for most field trips. For this one, they had reserved trolleys to take them and there was only room for the kids and their teachers. I'm glad he got to ride it there so he could experience it.

And no, a nurse doesn't go. I wouldn't expect her to go just for Chris.

5. kvnc

kvnc Approved members

My 8 year old daughter has been on one field trip since her diagnosis. I was a chaperone. I've never even chaperoned before due to her little brother. I paid for someone to watch him that day. I let her ride the bus with the kids on the way to the museum. Chaperones aren't allowed to ride on the school bus for local field trips (chaperones can ride on charter buses for long distance field trips). The field trip went to the museum in the morning and was going to eat lunch in the classroom after getting back. The school nurse and I were concerned about her going low since lunch was going to be later than the usual time. Diabetes seems to make things like this complicated and requires compromise!

6. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

I agree with Sarah, if you can ride the bus you should. I remember when Danielle was little I did that a few times and it was quite interesting. And LOUD! :)

As for not expecting the nurse to go just for him, depending on what your arangement is with the school, I don't think there is anything wrong with expecting her to go. That is part of her job.

Just my 2 cents.

7. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

Is this a public school?

But what if You couldn't go?

8. ksartain

Yes, it's a public school. If I couldn't have gone, they would have had to wait at the aquarium until his sugar came up to 100.

9. Christopher

You may want to rethink this. Or at least come up with a more flexible plan. I completely understand wanting him to be safe on a bus. But if he was OK to get in a car with you when he was 87 and heading down, why couldn't he get on a bus (with the nurse) and do the same thing he did in the car with you? Again, his safety is of upmost importance, but I think there is room here to make some changes to his plan that won't impact the entire class but still keep him safe.

One possible plan could be that his CGM is checked before he gets on the bus and if he is X and dropping that the nurse gives X carbs, he gets on the bus and then in X minutes the nurse looks at his CGM to assure he is rising. If he is not rising the nurse gives X carbs and checks the CGM again in X minutes.

For me, part of the convenience of using a CGM is being able to easily look at his BG and see direction. Since he is wearing the technology, why not use it to its fullest extent?

Just a thought.

Last edited: May 20, 2014
  10. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

I think a few things are going on here. and have to ask a few questions.

when you kiddo is at school who does his diabetes care? and what are his teacher normal responsibilities to your son regarding diabetes care? Do you have a 504?

A trained person should be going with your son on field trips that can dedicate the time needed with him is he were to have low and not stop the rest of the filed trip.

11. ksartain

It is all covered in his 504. Per doctor's orders, if his sugar is under 100, he is not to get on the bus. His teacher is trained in care, as are his school nurse, his bus driver, his PE teacher, the school Principal, and one of the office assistants. Christopher should have alerted someone (I was with him the whole time!) that his Dexcom was buzzing and we could have treated it much sooner. He got a stern talking to about that. That's why we paid for the durn thing, to help with situations like this. This is something I constantly reinforce with him, to check Dexcom when it vibrates. It seems he is becoming more hypo-unaware. If he checks and is low, I'll ask him if he feels shaky, which is his body's way of letting him know, and often he'll say no, he's not shaky.

Since I went on the field trip, no one else needed to go. If I am unable to go on future field trips, one of the above extra people will have to go with him. That will be addressed in our 504 meeting for next school year.

12. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

he needs a dedicated person with him, not the class teacher or the bus drive.

13. kvnc

kvnc Approved members

My daughter is not allowed to go on the bus if she is under 100. That might be a standard # that many schools use?

14. Christopher

Sounds like you have a plan and a bunch of people trained to take care of him, that's good. I would just say try and go easy on him as far as the alerts. He is still young and will be dealing with this his whole life. I can see how easy it would be to get caught up in the excitement of the field trip and not think about his CGM. I also know how frustrating it is as a parent to want your child to be as vigilant as we are but not have them do it.

Honestly, the main reason I offered up an alternative plan was because when I read that the entire class would be held up if he was below 100, the first thing I thought of was the possible stigma it might cause him from the other kids. "Oh great, now we have to wait for Chris because his dumb diabetes is messed up!". I'm not saying that would happen, maybe the kids would be fine with it, but I know they can sometimes be mean and I would hate for Chris to get the brunt of that due to his diabetes.

Good luck.

15. Christopher

I will respectfully and politely disagree with this. I think as long as there is a person on the trip who is trained to deal with his diabetes, knows when and what they are supposed to do, he doesn't need one person solely dedicated to take care of him. We all have our own preferences and unique situations and children and I respect each person's decisions.

16. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

I can't remember what is in our 504 for a bus number, but to me, field trips are different than the bus home. On a field trip, presumably there is a teacher or other adult who is aware that he is low, and he can be treated just as effectively on the bus as he can standing around the museum parking lot, or whatever. I don't see the reasoning behind holding up the entire field trip for his BG to return to 100. Putting him on the bus to go home (where there is no trained adult) is a completely different story. (And even then, the bus is not held - he is.)

17. Christopher

You are probably right but I think it is important to dig a little deeper and understand WHY that is the standard and for what situation. I think it is probably because the majority of the times a child is riding a bus it is to/from school. And in the situation of riding the bus home from school, the only adult on the bus is going to be the driver. So in that particular situation, then yes, the under 100 rule makes sense because the child could continue to drop and there would be no one but the driver to deal with it.

But when you are talking about field trips I think you need to apply a different standard based on the circumstances, because there will probably be other adults who may be able to deal directly with the child. You also would need to take into account the age of the child and other variables.

I guess my point is, standards are great but it is important to look at each unique situation and make decisions based on those particular circumstances and variables.

18. Charliesmom

Charliesmom Approved members

If we can't go on the field trip then the nurse goes. The teacher has too many kids to watch to do it and, as you experienced, field trips can be difficult.