- advertisement -

Fictional members -- what sets off your radar?

Discussion in 'Other Hot Topics' started by Lisa P., Jul 31, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MikailasMom

MikailasMom Approved members

I apologize for encroaching on your post..trust me wont happen again... just wanted to share my thoughts on the subject from my personal view point. Thought it was a discussion...my bad!

2. swellman

swellman Approved members

Lisa, I'm still trying to figure out if this thread is an experiment in irony. :cwds:

My response is: What does it matter? Answer or answer not. If one finds it a chore to participate then look elsewhere. One can put as much energy into helping others as one can afford but if one feels "cheated" or "deceived" then simply ignore it. One can only do one's best and try to add to the positive information from which others can glean helpful info - even trolls can, inadvertently, add to the general knowledge.

What got your panties in a wad?

3. Lisa P.

Lisa P. Approved members

Thanks.
    Did not realize (and should have) that this was a repeat.

4. Lisa P.

Lisa P. Approved members

I agree, and good advise.

5. Lisa P.

Lisa P. Approved members

Darn, I knew I didn't put enough smilies in my previous post. :p

Seriously, I'm not sending anyone away. And derail away, I don't mind extra things thrown in and it's just tough on me if my subject gets swallowed by other, more interesting ones.

I just was getting a bit distressed that nobody seemed to be addressing my original point, or answer the question I specifically asked, except a couple nice people.

I actually had the computer off and then logged back on to see if I'd missed something. I do appreciate that it would be hard to sign on here and be suspected or treated badly. Would you recommend, then, that we never raise our guard? Or was your point just that "tips" threads like this can create a witch hunt atmosphere? If you believed there was someone on here who was making up a story and taking advantage of peoples' good will, and you knew some on here had no idea that might be the case, what would you do? By the time I'm sure enough to contact a moderator, damage has been done.

I'm not suggesting draconian measures, but some folks really have no defenses at all against this stuff.

6. Lisa P.

Lisa P. Approved members

You're not serious, are you? :eek:
    I don't tell people to go away and, for the record, I don't tell them they can't change the subject. I did bemoan that no one seemed interested in answering my actual question before they started coming down on me for even asking it. But if someone has the sincere opinion that this is a misguided thread, he or she has every right in the world to say so. And if someone wants to discuss something tangential instead, every right in the world.

7. Lisa P.

Lisa P. Approved members

Holy Cow, lady, were you right. Not just no good end, no good middle and hardly a good beginning.

I feel like an absolute idiot. No, don't rush to disagree. . . :rolleyes::p

8. Lisa P.

Lisa P. Approved members

Yes, and I had a nice con artist once teach me a lesson in math with a quick change con.

Obviously, you have no clue what I'm referring to.

9. swellman

Obviously.

10. Lisa P.

Lisa P. Approved members

There you go. Best I can do. You still think this is a stupid thread, have fun telling me all about it.

I won't disagree with you.

Obviously a huge mistake.

I feel like an absolute idiot. Not for the first time. Not for the first time on this forum. Not for the first time on this thread.

Shoot, I need better smilies. . . . nothing fits.

11. LizinTX

LizinTX Approved members

((((Lisa)))) I can never spot the trolls until around page 14, and then only after other people have called them out, notified admin and had the thread locked.:p

12. swellman

Your therapist must have the easiest job in the world. :D

13. MikailasMom

MikailasMom Approved members

I honestly do NOT think this is a stupid thread. I think it was well intentioned and needed, because there are fruit loops out there, and there are morons like me who fall into it too. Anything can make us vulnerable and safety is always an issue. Friend or Foe.

All I was attempting to make people think about was that unless blatently obvious that they are fakers, give people a chance. Dont automatically assume each new person is a troll and throw your defenses up. If something seems off, ask them about it. Some people just rip apart. What if they are new, overwhelmed confused scared and thier post doesnt make sense d/t those reasons? What if we assume that beacuse this is becoming second nature to us thier questions become trivial?

Anyhoo.... back to the subject... what about people who instantly "latch-on" and wanna be your best friend after only a few days/post? Ask you tons of personal things when you dont know them from Adam.

Sorry I encroached again! No offense intended. I did read your post BTW, three times, and just typed away at what came to me as I read it. Didnt intend to derail......

14. Jeff

Jeff Founder, CWD

The CWD Forums, being open for registration, will on occasion attract a pretender. This is an unfortunate hazard of the online world and happens essentially everywhere. The only way to really minimize this risk is to vet each new user before they are allowed to post, and that is contrary to CWD's mission of being a free and open source of information and support.

I do my best to identify and remove users who are here under false and provocative pretense. On more than one occasion, a user has been a young adult with type 1 who was in need of more than medical advice. Behind the scenes I was able to encourage at least one user to seek a different kind of professional help, and I am hopeful that everything worked out.

While finding a provocateur can be disruptive to the forums, as well as personally frustrating (and perhaps even embarassing), I always try to err on the side of trust. There is no shame in offering advice and support to anyone, even someone who is here under false pretense. The shame is all theirs.

I encourage everyone to be welcoming of new members. Remember that we were all new here once, both new to diabetes and new to the online exerience. And also remember that people who know English as a second language may not express themselves as well as they can in their native language, but that doesn't mean that they are not well spoken and knowledgeable. (Computer translations are terrible for medical content.)

Let us all try to rise above the fray and always extend our hands in support of anyone who comes to CWD seeking help.

I'm going to close this thread, since I believe the original goal has been achieved.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.