- advertisement -

Few quick dexcom questions

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by kail, Feb 26, 2015.

1. kail

kail Approved members

So we finally got a dexcom. Yea ! I have a few quick questions.

1. Right now we are on day 13 of out first sensor. It's on her arm. We haven't used anything extra to help it stick and the edges started to peel a couple days ago after getting caught on her clothes but so far I haven't noticed a big change in accuracy. Sometimes it's right on and other times a bit off. I just got delivery of some skin tac today. Should I try to hook it back down and keep going or should I be changing it by now. Basically do you push them to the end or change at a certain date?

2. Sometimes we forget to calibrate before breakfast and then sadly we can be hard pressed to find a time with level arrow. Is it better to postpone calibration for hours if you only have up or down arrows or is a diagonal arrow ok?

3. Events. I didn't notice the events button at first. Does everyone find it useful to enter exercise or carbs or insulin in there.

Thanks

Last edited: Feb 26, 2015
  2. kail

kail Approved members

One more question. Any reason not to put it on before bed? I vaguely remember reading something I think that said not to but am not sure.
    Thanks

3. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

We rarely go more than 14 days. The second re-start doesn't last or the sensor just falls off, even when taped.

If a calibration is called for and we have a slope arrow I'll sometimes calibrate anyway. Not with a 90 degree arrow but with a slope we sometimes do.

We occasionally use "events" for her cycle or for unusually serious exercise but not too often, maybe we should do so more often but for the most part we use the dexcom in real time and only download about half the time.

Mind you, my kid is 17 and does much of the piloting on her own, I manage most nights but she's taken the lead role.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2015
  4. Michelle'sMom

Michelle'sMom Approved members

We use Skin Tac under the sensor, then cover with Hypafix tape. We change the tape as needed. We change sensors when they die or the readings become so inaccurate we can't use them.

We only calibrate with a straight arrow, even if it asks. I can't really say how waiting too long to calibrate affects the accuracy. My dd calibrates before breakfast & dinner. If I happen to see a calibration prompt at another time, it's a safe assumption my dd has no idea how long the prompt has been there.

We've never used the events, although we probably should. Dd uses Dex in real time, & I use the data uploads to help with pump settings.

We only change sensors in the daytime.

5. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

1. We change the sensor every 14 days. It virtually always lasts that long, and if we push it farther, it will always fail just when I need it the most.

2. I try to only calibrate with a straight arrow. I let it keep on asking for calibrations, and I don't think it matters much.

3. I've never used the events feature, but the only time we download is for endo appointments.

6. Lakeman

Lakeman Approved members

I rarely get much more than two weeks on a ssensor and as was said before when we stretch the time too long it invariably falls off just when you need it most.

Not a good idea to calibrate when arrows are straight up or down.

The events are ok. The only way to review your events is to hook up to a computer. It's too bad you can't at least see the last events from the receiver. I sure hope that the Iphone apps will let you review events from the phone (Dexcom: hint hint). It is nice to have most of the events logged in so your endo can review it in place of a log.

7. Mish

Mish Approved members

I just yank it after 2 weeks as it's good for us to be on a schedule. It just works for us to always insert on a Wednesday, for example.

I've never noticed any difference in calibration when we calibrate with arrows, food, IOB. I just calibrate generally breakfast and dinner. Done.

Inserting before bed. That is always when we have issues. I try not to do it. I'm not sure why, but it never works well at night, that first night. That said, after the first night, we have no problems. So we try to insert in the afternoon. Just works for us. YDMV.

8. jenm999

jenm999 Approved members

The only downside to inserting at night is that you're "blind" for those two hours. We do it because my son prefers us to do the insertions when he's sleeping. Go up around 9 after he's in deep sleep (he's 7), check BG to make sure he's in range - we'll usually treat a low then if needed but never a high, that can wait until we have data. Calibrate when we go to bed. It's always off the first day or so because it needs some calibration info to interpret the data - it's actually OK to calibrate several times in that first 24 hours.

9. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

We go ahead and insert at night, but sometimes it can make for a wretched night of sleep if the thing doesn't read accurately. (Or sometimes if it does!) The sensors get more accurate the longer they've been wet and the more they've been calibrated. The other factor with nighttime calibrations is that the interstatial fluid isn't moving like it does during the day, so it's hard to correct an off calibration during the night.