- advertisement -

Few Questions

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Hayden2007, Jan 27, 2012.

1. Hayden2007

Hayden2007 Approved members

Just had a few questions.

Do you typically get up at night to check BS? We were told to at 3 am but I believe that was just a temp. thing?

What do you do if you do not know the carb count on a certain food? For example Hayden is having donuts and milk at preschool today. They are coming from a local "mom and pop" donut shop and have no nutritional guides. Do you use something similar? Like could I look up krispy kream and get a similar carb count and use that?? F bfast and lunch he is at 30g=1/2.

Thanks in advance

Jessica

2. jbmom1b2g

jbmom1b2g Approved members

We were given a cheat sheet from the endos office saying ex 1 oz of pizza =10 carbs. Has a bunch of other stuff on it. So when I am unsure I go that route. My sheet says donut glazed and cake 1 oz =15 carbs.

3. JaxDad

JaxDad Approved members

You'll find a variety of answers, a search on this topic will find many results I think. Here is how we do it.

I check at his bedtime, my bedtime and then as needed. As time goes you'll have a pretty good idea of what the night will be based on how the day went previously and what your CWD had for dinner.

Last night for example I knew there was some fat and slower digesting carbs in the dinner. Still I was a bit surprised at the 7:00 AM number below.

9:00 PM BG =173, corrected
    11:30 PM BG = 168 corrected
    1:30 AM BG= 173 corrected
    3:30 AM BG= 114 temp basal
    7:00 AM BG = 160 corrected

Yes, on the "find similar", if we know we're going to use that same place again, we keep a record of how it worked and adjust from there for the next time.

4. kyle and ryans mom

kyle and ryans mom Approved members

I check every night, at least 2 times per night. I have caught a few unexpected lows. I actually sleep a lot better knowing that I have checked him.

5. manda81

manda81 Approved members

We check absolutely every night, and always have. I would never go an entire day without checking, and so I don't go all night without it either.

We check every 4 hours, for the most part, unless he is sick or something is going on.

2am
    6am (breakfast)
    10:45am (lunch)
    2:30 (before recess/dismissal at school)
    3:30 (snack & correction if needed)
    6pm (dinner)
    10pm (our bedtime)

On weekends, my husband stays up late, and the schedule deviates a bit for it, but we check around 12am-1am, then 4-5am, etc... but still every 4 hours.

As far as carbs go, there is an app (and a book) called Calorie King, and they have really great info on carbs for just about anything you can imagine. That's our go-to for carb info if we don't have it on hand.

6. Lee

Lee Approved members

I check about 80% of the overnights - and always at midnight.

Get yourself the Calorie King book - it is a nice pocket size book that has carbs listed - this is handy for these situations where you have to guesstimate.

7. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

Welcome to the site.

I second the CK book suggestion, it is a great resource.

As for checking at night, it is a very individual decision. I think it is a very important thing to do in the overall management of your child's diabetes. I check every night, multiple times a night, just like I do during the day. I have done it for the past 5 years and I will continue to do it until she leaves home.

If you don't check you have no idea if they are high or low or in range. Lows at night can be very dangerous, and being high all night can increase the chance of major complications later in life.

8. Hayden2007

[QUOTE
    Yes, on the "find similar", if we know we're going to use that same place again, we keep a record of how it worked and adjust from there for the next time.[/QUOTE]

Good idea!! :)

9. Hayden2007

I have the Calorie King book. That is where I was finding krispy Kreams.

I find myself sleeping better too if I wake up and test him. I wake up at least one time a night anyway! I was however having a hard time doing it at 3 cause I couldn't go back to sleep and then I usually get up around 4:50 anyway. So I may try it around midnight.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2012
  10. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

It is tough. A lot of it depends upon the numbers you are seeing and the possible treatments you are giving. For example, if she is high and I give her insulin, I know I need to check her in a few hours, but can sleep for those few hours. If she is low and I have given her something to bring her up and also something that may keep her up during the rest of the night, I will check her to make sure she is remaining up, but then I go to sleep.

11. Charliesmom

Charliesmom Approved members

I check every night. Our endo also says that it's optional but I have caught to many bad lows to make me want to keep doing it. (5yrs now)

I feel that I wouldn't go 10 hours during the day when he is awake without checking him so why would I go that long at night when he is asleep and not feeling the low/high? I check him at midnight and my husband checks him at 5 or 6am.

12. Andy'sMom

Andy'sMom Approved members

We always check in the night, but usually just one time. Seven years into it and we've always done at least one night check. Makes me sleep better the rest of the night to know we have that number.

13. teach98

teach98 Approved members

I use carbs and cals iPhone ap also available as book, it gives you the type of food with range of weights then photos of different portion sizes for when you can't weigh it, really good for looking up things that your not sure of/don't have nutritional info on. It also calculates meal totals on the ap.

14. Connor's Mom

Connor's Mom Approved members

He goes to bed at 8:30 after checking. Then I wake him at 10pm for a bathroom trip and then again at 1am and 3am. I do a BG check at the 1am and 3am times too. Our Endo has said many times they do not expect their parents to do night tests unless they are seeing an odd morning number. I feel better doing the tests because I have caught lows and highs that have needed treatment.

When I am unsure of a carb count I try to find something as close to the food as possible and I go from there. I will use the Calorie King book very often as my guide.

15. FloridaMom

FloridaMom Approved members

I completely agree. We check every 3 hours EVERY night. Not only does it keep him from going too low - we can correct highs as well.

As far as the food goes, you'll find that after a while, you can make a pretty good educated guess. In the beginning, though, I would try to look up carb counts online.