- advertisement -

Fever 103, BS 160, LARGE ketones???

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by timnshann, Jul 8, 2009.

1. timnshann

timnshann Approved members

Blake woke up this morning with a fever (103), body aches and a runny nose.
    BS is within normal range 88-178 but ketones are large.
    I'm pushing juice so I can give extra insulin to get the ketones down.
    I've never seen normal sugars with large ketones before, have any of you?

We were in NYC this weekend around a million people, so I'm assuming this is the flu...
    so is it too late for Tamiflu since he has flu symtoms already?
    Has anyone given thier D child Tamiflu?

Last edited: Jul 8, 2009
  2. susan

susan Approved members

I'm not any help with the flu thing..But I do know that we have had normal and even low bs and ketones...Just last night actually Davis had a fever,throwing up, low bs and small ketones..Hope Blake gets to feeling better soon!

3. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

If I see normal bgs and ketones I assume they are "starvation" ketones. Obviously you want to stay on top of things but starvation ketones are not the same as DKA ketones and you don't need to be anxious about them. :cwds:

4. bgallini

bgallini Approved members

We have not dealt with the flu yet but I think now is the time to take him to the Dr to get the tamiflu. I think it is supposed to be given within the 1st 2 days of having symptoms.

As far as the ketones go, I think that's not uncommon with illness...to have normal bg plus ketones. I'd check with the endo about that but I think if you can get him to eat or drink stuff with carbs and give insulin, that should help.

5. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

Yes, my non d daughter had a tummy bug and had 2.5-3.0 ketones for a WEEK straight, starvation ketones.

I beleive that the Tamiflu will lesses the severity of the flu and duration even if symtoms are present already.

high carb drinks popsicle lifesavers, any carbs in order to give corrections.

6. Jordansmom

Jordansmom Approved members

Jordan is on Tamiflu right now. The fever came down pretty quickly but she's still quite sick. It doesn't eliminate the flu by any means. The doctor told us they like to give it within 24-48 but would prescribe it up to 72 hrs.

7. tiffanie1717

tiffanie1717 Approved members

Shannon, I'm so sorry Blake is not feeling well!! And to get large ketones so quickly is scary! Hopefully you can get those down! Were you able to get some tamiflu?