- advertisement -

Feeling "Low" at 100

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Charmed7, Feb 10, 2009.

1. Charmed7

Charmed7 Approved members

Hey everyone. It's been awhile since I've been around mostly b/c things have been so busy with a new house, and my son's therapy and trying new meds etc.

But I wanted to get your take on something. I just took my son off a med that had elevated his sugars a little. So I'm dropping his ratios and lantus gradually, but we're finally seeing steady numbers again. (His numbers use to hover around 190-230 while on the med). I already got the dr's OK to give a juice at 80 since DS felt shaky and "low". But now he's feeling it around 100-105.

Do you think he's just more sensitive because of all that time in the high 100's? Do you think I should let him get aclamated (sp?) to the 100's again, and hope it goes away, or treat him with a small carb snack to boost him just a little.

Just thought I would get some others feelings on the issue. Maybe someone else has seen the same thing.

TIA

Charmed

2. BozziesMom

BozziesMom Approved members

Boz felt low at 100 initially because he'd been high for so long it took his body time to adjust. Also, if the drop is fast, even if he's not low, he'll feel like he is. A slow decline to 55 doesn't affect him at all as compared to a fast drop to 100.

Hope that helps.

Perhaps you could give a little bit of carbs in the middle of the DIA to prevent any speedy drops. Maybe. ? Space out the decline more. Slow it. Or maybe extra protein or fat... to slow the process.

3. Reese'sMom

Reese'sMom Approved members

Was the medication some form of steroids? I know they can really mess things up by causing insulin resistance. My son had a dangerous low the first time he came off an 8 day pulse of Prednisone and he suddenly cleared the insulin resistance.

4. danismom79

danismom79 Approved members

I think it's possible to feel low after running high for a while. My daughter will also feel low after/during a big drop. I don't think I would have her ride out the shaky feeling though, that must be kind of scary. Maybe you could bolus a snack.

5. clb1968

clb1968 Approved members

Depending on what has caused the low, some times I feel so much worse during the drop and at 100 or so than I ever have at 40. That fast drop down is not fun.

Do kids get the same killer headache that I have after a low ?

6. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

Two things: one is that sometimes a person feels low because of a drop. So if I felt low and tested 100, I would probably retest a half hour later to make sure I hadn't dropped.
    The other is that if you feel desperately low but have already eaten the carbs you need, it still feels good to be eating something, so you should offer a low carb snack if you are trying to get him to acclimate to the low 100s.

7. buggle

buggle Approved members

We've been battling lows in the late afternoon and evening. After treating Brendan last night, I could see that he was finally coming up on his CGM. We kept verifying with finger pokes. He was on his way to 100 with an up arrow and he kept saying he still felt very low. It was already a couple hours past bedtime and I thought he might be trying to stall, even though he never has been dishonest about anything concerning D. I was so glad I believed him, because as soon as he got past 100, he started sliding right back down again and it took us another couple of hours to get him under control.

So first -- make sure that he's not on his way down. Brendan will feel low at higher BGs if he's getting ready to crash. Your son might also taking some time acclimating to the lower BGs -- you're right that this really makes sense. You might want to run him a bit higher and gradually let him run lower until he feels low at the right point. I would really try to keep him from feeling low, even if you have to run him higher for a bit. Brendan keeps wanting me to inject myself with insulin so I can experience a low and understand what he goes though. Maybe I'll get brave enough to try it one of these days. He says it feels awful.

This whole diabetes management thing is just a bunch of trial and error. It's frustrating, but it's the way it is. :(

8. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Couldn't have said it better myself. Abby sometimes has the same problems.

9. MamaC

MamaC Approved members

Tom has always been REALLY good at feeling his lows and accurately identifying if he is already low or judt feeling the insulin kick in.

We just came off a spate of higher numbers and now he is feeling "seriously low" between 100 and 130. He treats and stays there, so he's obviously feeling the drop and counteracting it.

That said, I expect in the near future that will change :rolleyes:

10. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

Maybe you can put the Goal BG or range to a higher number as you are moving the ratios down. That way you have some wiggle room. As much as you want to get him back to where he was in better control, if he is not feeling well then you have to just be ok with the higher numbers for now as he is getting back to his old self.

We tried Apidra recently and had to stop because my dd was "feeling" low but was testing at above 100 and for the most part did not dip below 100, it was just the the drop from the new insulin was so fast that she felt low.

11. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

Nice to see you around:) Kaylee will feel 'low' at a 'normal' number if she's been high for a while.. his body probably got use to be higher, so now when its back within his range he's feeling low.. it'll probably take a few days/week to get that feeling to go away.

12. sugarmonkey

sugarmonkey Approved members

Phillip had this once when he'd been running high for a while. His doctor said it was because his body was used to being higher, so he felt lower at a higher number (does that make sense:rolleyes:). After a while he got used to being lower, and started feeling his lows at a more normal number.

At the moment we have the opposite sometimes. He usually feels his lows around 3.6 (64). Now he's not feeling them until he's around 2 (36) or lower. It's because we've lowered his target and he's more used to being in a normal range.