- advertisement -

Feeling Frustrated with School errors and issues

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Mo1, Oct 4, 2014.

1. Mo1

Mo1 Approved members

My DD has a new agency nurse but the same school nurse as last year. Over the summer my DD transitioned from MDI to the T Slim and recently received Dexcom. I went in the first day of school to go over her plan and the pump with new nurse. School nurse comes 1 x a week. The first day of school the new nurse did not give her insulin for lunch. She hadn't seen it on her order. She was too high for a bus ride, so I went to pick her up. She was sitting in the office with no one monitoring her or even knowing why she was there. I talked to principal etc. with my concerns for her safety.
    This week she accidentally pulled out her site while at school, and I talked the new nurse through her site change over the phone. This was after BG correction via pen. It initially went well but at the end of the day she was 429 and climbing. I found out at that time the nurse had randomly changed a tube from the pump, and didn't tell me about it. Of course insulin was not primed through the tubing, and she went with out her basal for 4 hrs, and bolus for lunch did not go through. I talked the new nurse through priming the pump, and headed to pick her up. I called Tandem to do a training at her school because I think problems have been related to unfamiliarity with her equipment, or lack of training in general. How worked up should I be getting after two serious errors in diabetes care?
    Yesterday my DD told me her Spanish teacher yelled at her for asking to see the nurse because she was shakey. She said the teacher yelled "Next time you feel shakey and your blood sugar is all right, I'm gonna find out and call your mom." I am so angry about it my blood boils. I think of all the hard work and constant vigilance we have to care for diabetes. I want to give the teacher a knock out punch so she can feel what shakey is. Monday I'm talking to the principal because it is unacceptable. My DD is 7 years old and is about 9 mos. into diabetes dx. She takes her care seriously, and so do I. She has been coming out of honeymoon, and has much more fluctuations than last year. She has a pattern of running low at the time of the class the teacher yelled and threatened her. Frustration mounting! I've asked to re new her 504 early because they are testing her etc, when she's hyper and hypo glycemic. It's being scheduled in this month. Sometimes it's just hard!

2. rgcainmd

rgcainmd Approved members

I'm so sorry to hear about all of those things going wrong for your daughter at school. While I might be inclined to excuse (this time) the nurse's unfamiliarity with your daughter's pump, I'd be pretty upset about her not bolusing your daughter for lunch "because she hadn't seen it on her order." Following these orders is a very basic and mandatory part of her job, for heaven's sake! I think your idea to get Tandem to do a training at your daughter's school is an excellent one and will hopefully result in no more pump mistakes.

Regarding your daughter's Spanish teacher...all I can say is that I want to be second in line after you give her that knock out punch! While I'm not naive and don't believe that our kids (in general) have never gone to the nurse when their blood sugars weren't all that low, I do believe that this is very much the exception and not the rule. How dare that teacher (or anyone in a position of authority for that matter) question your daughter about whether her blood sugar was low!!!!! IMO, that's the same as calling your daughter a liar! Sometimes I wish there was a training video that every teacher and school staff member was required to watch that shows someone with T1D experiencing a blood sugar so low that they lose consciousness and begin to seize. They'd take things a whole lot more seriously!

Good luck at your 504 meeting and let us know how it goes.

3. dpr

dpr Approved members

I'm really sorry you have to go through all this. The nurse issues I would try and work out with them if possible. If you can get them trained and on the same page as you it's probably best. The teacher, I would be livid. As a pretty new diabetic your daughter needs to be able to have complete faith that any school staff will help and take care of her if she any diabetic issue. A teacher that doesn't put her health first has no business being in a class room. I would start right at the top with a written complaint to the superintendent of the district followed up with a phone call and let the **** run down hill. After it gets to the school principal I would then request a meeting with the teacher and principal. Hopefully by then you will be able to restrain yourself and only verbally abuse him. But if you need help I'm 3rd in line. ;-)

4. Junosmom

Junosmom Approved members

Aside from some serious meetings with the school, have you looked into Nightscout? You may be able to catch her lows and rises until they "get it". Look in the general forum here or on Facebook page "CGM in the Cloud". The lack of education of the adults at the school needs to be rectified, but in the meantime, I'd want to be aware at all times of her BG if it were my daughter.

5. Mo1

Mo1 Approved members

Thanks for all the feedback. I'm working with the nurses and using email as a form of formal documentation. Every time her name is in the subject line, it is required that the email is put in her 504 file. Plus it is going in mine. The teacher was totally unacceptable, and my daughter should be able to depend on and trust every adult in the building help her. I'll make sure to include that point in the conversation. I have Dex print outs to prove the point visually, which I'll also be using for her 504. I didn't know anything about Nightscout and will be looking into ASAP. Thanks again!

6. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Fwiw, most 504 meetings happen within the first two weeks of school starting. There's no reason your's should be so delayed.

The Spanish teacher sounds like an idiot, but that said, until the teachers get their copies of the 504 they can't really be expected to know what the accommodations are and why they are what they are.

Hope the meeting goes well and that next year your DD doesn't have to wait 5-6 weeks into school for her accommodations to be understood by all.

7. virgo39

virgo39 Approved members

Glad that you are able to work through these issues with the nurses, as that seems like the most promising route (though, honestly, it seems a bit unrealistic to expect a successful site change to be done for the first time with telephone instructions--which is not to say that if the nurse removed something she shouldn't have told you).

I agree that your daughter needs to depend on the adults and not feel that she will be penalized for seeking care, but hope that you addressed this with the teacher if not before contacting the principal, at least simultaneously with it. That seems only fair.

Good luck and I hope that things turn around for you soon!

8. virgo39

virgo39 Approved members

Sarah Maddie's Mom: The Spanish teacher sounds like an idiot, but that said, until the teachers get their copies of the 504 they can't really be expected to know what the accommodations are and why they are what they are.

I agree with this 100%. And even if they have the 504, you may need to remind them of different aspects of it (at our school the 504 administrator is fine with me telling the teachers what the accommodations are). At DD's school, I remind the teachers of certain aspects and if there is an issue, our nurse will often take the lead as well. So far, we have not had any need to escalate anything.

9. tammy82

tammy82 Approved members

Wow that is horrible. The teacher just makes my blood boil and I would have it out with her.asap as well as the principal. That is totally unacceptable. I would be fuming. I guess we are lucky as we have a great principal and all teachers have been wonderful as far as diabetes goes with my daughter. There is a big communication problem and the principal should take care of all of this with each and every teacher before she even started school. The nurse needs some training too

10. missmakaliasmomma

missmakaliasmomma Approved members

I'm right there with you.. My dd has a new nurse this year and I can't stand how incompetent she is in relation to last yrs. she didn't bolus her once (she was 109)!because she "thought she was gonna go down low" HOW BOUT YOU JUST STICK TO THE ORDERS. What nurse doesn't know that they need insulin for everything that is eaten....

Anyway, we've had a meeting, preceded by numerous trips to the principal. I've made my issues very known and if they don't change, I won't back down. I would be livid if I were you, as I have been many times this year. Don't stop pushing for competent people to take care of your child.