advertisement

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Feeling Alone :( or...maybe just ANGRY

Discussion in 'Parents of Teens' started by nikki8778, May 16, 2016.

1. nikki8778

nikki8778 Approved members

Hi everyone. My daughter was just released from the hospital yesterday. We had a stay of three nights. For some reason her insulin sensitivity went through the roof!! Her BG started dropping all over the place! I couldn't keep her up. After dropping her basal by 2 units for two nights straight with no changes, she because unconscious. To the ER we went. They admitted her and stopped all basal insulin for that night. The next night they reintroduced at 7 units lower than where she first started. Dropped again. Like crazy. So now she's 12 units lower than where she started and the doctors are quite baffled. She's 16, forgot to mention that part. She's back to school today with new sliding scales and all.

My problem: Everyone around us seems to be so used to...Ohhhh...Haley has sugar problems again. I feel like no one takes it serious, meaning family friends, etc. No one came to visit her. I want to scream to the top of my lungs...SHE ALMOST DIED PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm really sorry you had to work, or you had plans or WHATEVER. Just because my child faces death on a regular basis it does NOT make it any easier, it does NOT mean I can handle it, it does NOT mean I don't need support.

Did I mention, I'm a single mom? Three kids. She's the oldest. Can we say NERVOUS BREAKDOWN? No one calls, Hey do you need me to bring you some dinner? Or come sit at the hospital with you? NOT ONE PERSON. I sit there alone and cry. And try to keep her alive. How could I not need a hug? Even if I sound ok on the phone or God forbid, through a text message?

I guess she's been type 1 for 8 years now. I guess it's old news. I'll make sure the next time she drops to 31, constantly, for days, she makes sure she does it when it's not someone's birthday, or baby shower, oh...and when everyone is off work. Maybe we can let them all know in advance, you know, schedule it. I'd hate to interrupt anyone's life.

Whew............sorry. But that felt really good. If you guys don't feel me, then no one else will. I need a friend. Someone that gets it.

If you made it though this, thanks for letting me vent. I'm really a nice person, on the verge of cracking maybe, but I'm nice.

Nikki

2. njswede

njswede Approved members

These situations are always very useful for telling who your REAL friends are!

What probably happens in many cases is that we, as parents fall into a routine and, for the most part, handle D without too much drama. I think people around us see that and tend to think that D probably isn't as bad as they thought, since we're coping so well. In a sense, we're the victims of our own success. We make it look so easy that our friends think it's not a big deal.

3. nikki8778

nikki8778 Approved members

Victims of our own success. That pretty much sums it up. I hadn't thought of it that way.

I'm taking her to a therapist today. This has gotten so much harder since she became a teenager. I hope I survive. Lol

4. kim5798

kim5798 Approved members

Nikki,
    So sorry you are having to deal with all of this on your own & no one in your circle seems to be giving you any support. ((hugs)) from California.

A lot of people who don't live with diabetes daily have no clue what we deal with. njswede is right. We do such a fine job of heading off the lows, planning ahead for food/carbs/exercise that everyone thinks it is no big deal. I know my daughter's handling of it makes it not worth mentioning. Probably most people she deals with have no idea she is diabetic.

5. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

Venting here is a good way to deal with your feelings. Hope it helped. I think one skill many of us have to learn is to not expect people who don't live with Type 1 on a daily basis to "get it". When they are understanding that is great, but I think it is rare. Over the past 8 years I have lowered my expectations to basically zero. It's not easy and it is frustrating when people don't understand, but now I just can shrug it off and not let it get to me (usually!) :wink:

Hang in there.....

6. quiltinmom

quiltinmom Approved members

Vent away!!! I'd probably be feeling the Same way if I were in your shoes. I would feel very hurt if My Ds was in the hospital for 3 days and nobody noticed!

I'm glad she made it through ok! I can't imagine how stressful that must have been. I hope you're feeling better now. Good luck with everything!