- advertisement -

Feeling a whole lot of grateful!

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by goochgirl, Aug 9, 2012.

1. goochgirl

goochgirl Approved members

This isn't exactly off topic, but not directly D, either. For those of you who have wondered where I've been for a while, well, this should cover it. As usual, I'll probably ramble...

When I was 40, and pregnant with Yos, I prayed alot for a healthy child. When he was diagnosed with D, the thing that kept running through my mind was wondering if he wasn't meant for something worse, and this is what we got instead. I'm not about to say I believe there is an ultimate plan to the universe, but I'll say that, in my mind, I have to put a positive spin on everything in order to cope. Its just how I deal. And, I've had to deal alot in the past several years. This past year has been rough, but I'm about to catch the tail I've been chasing.

So, (yes, every once in a while I'll begin a new paragraph whether its needed or not) my husband had a pretty bad stomach ache at the end of June. It was the same as the one he'd had about a month before that went away after a few hours. (That dern heartburn!) Long story (and it is) short, he drove himself to the hospital at 3 AM, and by 3 PM the next day they were pulling a malignant tumor out of him. Thus began the search for more cancer. I can happily report that the tumor they found in his esophagus was found because of this search. Why happily? Usually, by the time they find it, it is terminal. We dodged a bullet and found it early. We are dealing with this like we deal with everything else that comes at us. We aren't given much of a choice, so we add it to the "crappy stuff to do" list and move on. Odds are in his favor. Good thing. When I was looking at life without him, the picture didn't look so great.

So, we spent last week at a cancer hospital. As I looked around at all of the young children, women (perhaps young mothers), and old men (swapping war stories) I was reminded how grateful I need to be for what I have. And, boy was I feeling it! I'll take the T1D, frustration with learning disabilities, ADHD, and all the other things (that I don't talk about), along with a cancer that has a good prognosis, as far as we know for now. After the shock of a baby diagnosed with D,well, that life experience helped me feel like I can manage whatever comes along, without too much drama. Perhaps I'm even grateful for that.

2. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

What an ordeal! I'm glad you posted. ;) And I'm very happy that something that could have been so tragic, turned out well. :cwds:

TX treating you well? Nice to be home? :cwds:

3. sooz

sooz Approved members

Attitude makes such a difference! I am glad to hear about the good prognosis. It must have felt like a blessing after all you all have been through.

4. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

I'm so glad your story has a happy ending. Someone definitely was watching over your husband:cwds:

I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

5. MamaLibby

MamaLibby Approved members

This brings tears to my eyes. I'm so glad your family dodged that bullet and THANK YOU for the bite of perspective I desperately needed tonight. :cwds:

6. denise3099

denise3099 Approved members

I sent you a pm. If I remember correctly I don't live far from you. I'd love to have your kids over for a playdate. Oh, they are having friends over this Sunday at noon if you'd like to stop by. Call me if you're up for it. :)

7. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

Honey, I am just so thankful to God that the tumor was found so quickly and removed. :cwds:

8. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

I am so sorry that you have been having some troubling times.

You are a strong person and will find the "good" no matter what, beause there really is most of the time. It might be the "good" for you but for your loved one.

i don't know if I thanked you for the items you made, here on the site, but the items you made were so helpful, and have been well worn.!

You are a gem. and are needed in this place.

9. sisterbeth43

sisterbeth43 Approved members

Sorry your hubby had to have surgery, but so happy you had a happy outcome. And your attitude is amazing. I still wear the apron you made me and have had a lot of comments on it.

10. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

Its so nice to see you!! I'm so glad this situation has turned out far better than it could have. I hope your husband has a quick and full recovery! Yay for the Dr's for doing their job and doing it well!

11. Lee

Lee Approved members

OMG Gooch! You are INCREDIBLY lucky they found that tumor! It is such a hard find until it has advanced past the point of treatment - that is what makes esophageal cancer so terminal! I hope they do not find any more cancer and that his treatment is easy and his recovery is quick!

ps - I hate to say lucky, but my dad did not know he had cancer until he started vomiting after every meal and by then it was to late.

pss - give your hubby a big kudos for actually going to the doctor about something!

12. joy orz

joy orz Approved members

Well, you always do know how to make a lemon chiffon pie out of lemons. Glad to hear G is on the mend. Let him know there are lots of people out in the universe pulling for you guys!

13. Ellen

Ellen Senior Member

Praying for a Refuah Shlaymah (full and speedy recovery). Shabbat Shalom - (good sabbath) may it be peaceful.