- advertisement -

Feel terrible asking, but I need help!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by yeswe'rebothD, Apr 17, 2007.

1. melissabeth

melissabeth Approved members

I think I remember someone posting a while back that there are supplies for sale on ebay for cheaper than normal, so that may be worth checking out.

I have to say, I feel lucky too to be in Europe where healthcare is socialized. It's a little bit of a hassle sometimes, but all strips and pump stuff is 100% free, and as much as we need with no questions asked. I *really* hope it happens soon in the states.

2. yeswe'rebothD

yeswe'rebothD Approved members

Melissa, the reason those are so cheap on ebay is that they're stolen. Same reason you can find them so cheap at flea markets. I will not buy those.

3. BrendaK

BrendaK Neonatal Diabetes Registry

My husband is switching jobs, so we're having to deal with the same BCBS plans in Michigan that you and Westinsmom are too right now.

Here's a thought. If you get the BCBS plan that covers prescriptions, will A Plus Medical Supplies kick in the rest? Have you heard of them? If you have any kind of health insurance, they accept what your plan covers for diabetes supplies and you don't have to pay copays or a deductible. I don't know what their policy would be on preexisting conditions, though. http://www.aplusmedicalsupply.com

Lots of people on this forum have had great experiences with them.

And, by the way, sorry I haven't called you this week. With DH switching jobs starting this week, it's been a little crazy here. :cwds:

4. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

If you get a free sample meter, they often send ten strips.

5. KatelinsMom

KatelinsMom Approved members

All the test strips on e-bay are not necessarily stolen. I do know that some people have sold their own test strips when they have too many and they are going to expire before they could be used up. Others have sold theirs because they got a new glucometer that used different strips, etc. Though I am sure there are probably some people on there selling stolen strips as well. :eek:

6. yeswe'rebothD

thanks for clarifying, Lori. I'm sure the thieves must have seen someone legit selling them and thought, "hey, now there's a money-maker!" I had heard anyway, that theft was why the strips which are OTC, are still usually kept under a lock or behind pharmacy counter.

Brenda-- no problem, hon... if you can't tell, I've been online all week! ;) haha! Good time to call me is early-to-mid afternoon as dh is up and I don't stay online while he's home and awake. He leaves at 3:30 though and usually I'm RIGHT back on! Thanks for the site, I'll look at it soon.

~Iana

7. Adinsmom

Adinsmom Approved members

I saw this on the ADA website and thought it might help someone.

"S-CHIP provides health insurance coverage to children whose families may have too much income to qualify for Medicaid.

If you or your loved one is unable to see a physician due to the cost of care, there may be a local community health clinic in your area. These clinics generally are free to patients or require a very small fee. Find a clinic in your area."

Here is the link. http://www.diabetes.org/advocacy-and-legalresources/healthcare/healthinsurance/S-CHIP.jsp

And here is a list of Pharmacuetical companies phone numbers and their programs. http://www.diabetes.org/advocacy-and-legalresources/healthcare/healthinsurance/pharma-table.jsp

Good Luck.

8. yeswe'rebothD

Thank you Shelley- I wrote down some numbers from the Rx assistance list. I'll let you all know what I come up with.

Also, I did go look on ebay-- I have figured out some ways to tell who is definitely legit by reading descriptions and especially if their boxes are the mail-order packages, which are a different color than the retail ones.

Thanks again everyone for your suggestions.

9. yeswe'rebothD

I just wanted to let everyone know that I have received a couple of donations of strips and meters (since I didn't have the meters that the strips went with). Thanks so much to the donors! It will have me set up for a couple of months and I hope in the meantime I can invest in some strips too. I feel so blessed to have connected with this community. :)

10. Jen Jen

Jen Jen Approved members

Just something I wanted to mention, hit your doc up for samples of insulin, and if you can manage to make them feel guilty over any little thing, you can get more out of them;). Today I managed to get eight bottles of insulin out of my doc, cause I told the nurse I was a hard stick for blood draw, it took her four sticks to get me, and out of three of those, she blew out two viens, so I laid it on, I'm set for two months with insulin now.

11. Caynuns mom

Caynuns mom Approved members

I said to my Mom & Dad about twenty years ago that the US needs to change to socialized medicine and I still believe it! I'm 100% all for it and cant wait for it to happen!

12. wiccanshadows89

wiccanshadows89 Approved members

what kind of strips do you use? I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM. im on about 7 medicines at about $200 each and cant get any of them...i dont have a job and the state wont give me insurance

13. Isabelle's Mom

Isabelle's Mom Approved members

I *think* that I have a bunch of One-Touch strips at home. I'll check after work and post again.

14. Barry

Barry Approved members

geeeez..... after reading 4 pages of this, I give up....I'll vote for Hillary just for the insurance.

Dont believe I just typed that

15. yeswe'rebothD

It is just a WEE bit tempting, isn't it, Barry?

Can you say "socialized?" uh-uh! Not for me!! At least I won't be responsible for voting it in....

Many people balk when they hear me say I am virulently opposed to socialized medicine. Many reasons, main one: it won't just stay with medicine; "a little leaven leavens the whole lump."

16. yeswe'rebothD

I'll leave it up to you, but I did receive some more from another poster here, enough to last me a good 1-1/2-2 months. I MAY be getting insurance soon, but I don't know when I'll know (dh might be getting hired in at work, and if he does, we'll have medical immediately upon his hire).

17. Isabelle's Mom

Isabelle's Mom Approved members

I just PM'd you.

18. clb1968

clb1968 Approved members

The http://www.togetherrxaccess.com/home.html card is for people with out insurnace and gives discounts for some prescriptions, they cover One Touch strips, not sure of the discount . I filled 2 prescriptions that would have cost almost $40, an antibiotic and pain pill from a toothache and all I paid for both was a little over $11, so that was a good savings.

Also Abbott has a patient assistance plan for test strips, its a qualify based on income thing and also they have a card that helps with copay cost if you have insurance, 1-866-246-2683 is the number I was given to call on this.

I have insurance now , so have not tried the Abbott copay card yet, but a person on another board was able to qualify for the patient assitance program.