- advertisement -

fear of going low at night

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by carcha, Oct 9, 2010.

1. Nobby1

Nobby1 Approved members

Have never tested my daughter at night????

:eek: I am new here, my daughter was diagnosed in June this year, she is 6. Our doctor and the hospital has never told us to test her at night, only read that the parents are doing it here, is this something I must do?

2. Lee

Lee Approved members

It is a personal choice - but diabetes doesn't sleep and most of us would never dream of letting our kid not test for 8-10 hrs during the day - so why the night?

I would do atleast a monthly 3am check to make sure that things are good, as well as test anytime you change dosing that affects the overnight and anytime there is illness or increased activity in the day. This is the nighttime testing schedule that our Endo recommends.

3. Mom264

Mom264 Approved members

My dd's CGM allows me more sleep at night and peace of mind throughout the day. It is a wonderful tool, not only for nighttime hypoglycemia, but to allow me to track glucose trends and make adjustments.

Dd likes it too.

I'm sorry you and your dd are going through this. I hope you find some info that sounds like it might work for you.

4. tiffanie1717

tiffanie1717 Approved members

Another thing you could offer is maybe a check an hour or so after she goes to bed on nights that she is under 150. Maybe the check soon after going to sleep and another check later will allow her to fall asleep easier. Maybe she thinks that she is going to go low before you check her. Adding another check in (even temporarily) might help her to initially go to sleep and seeing the trend of her numbers may be reassuring, too.

5. Jessica L

Jessica L Approved members

I fear night time lows more than my daughter does. She has had a few but not bad ones. Her lowest was 31 I believe and that was during the day. She didnt seem any worse at 31 that she does at 70. If she is under 200 at bed time I check her around midnight. If her number is on the higher end I sleep until 4:45 if I make it that late to give my son his meds and I test her then too. If she is on the lower end I get up at 2 as well and test her. I might way up more but the time I am asleep I am actually sleeping not tossing and turning worrying about her in a half sleep.