- advertisement -

FDA approval of VIBE

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Brenda, Dec 1, 2014.

1. Brenda

Brenda Junior Member

2. Megnyc

Megnyc Approved members

Yay!!!! Now I do have to get an endo so I can get one!!!

3. Brenda

Brenda Junior Member

4. MHoskins2179

MHoskins2179 Approved members

Keep in mind, it's only approved for adults 18 and older. So if you have a kiddo or teen, make sure you have an endo who's cool with going off-label. No specifics on when Lifescan plans to submit this for pediatric use, but that hasn't happened yet. The official line: "we are working diligently with the FDA to offer this solution to children with diabetes."

5. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

I so wished they would have increased the cartridge size. Sent our paperwork in today for a different pump that holds more than 200u. :blue:

6. mamattorney

mamattorney Approved members

Great news for Animas users (although as MHoskins pointed out, I presume no upgrade option for kids). Also, no 505 software upgrade either, right?

7. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

I'm happy to see another integrated pump on the market, even though I think that for most kids/teens who are still sharing their Type 1 management with a parent it's not as helpful as one might imagine, at least it wasn't for us.

The cartridge size on the animas pumps has always been a deal breaker for us anyway so it's not going to change that. If it speeds a t:slim dexcom integration with the option to still use a freestanding receiver then that I could get a bit excited about.

Someone on FB mentioned that the vibe isn't remote operable. Is that true? I've always imagined that the remote bolus feature was the one thing that gave the ping an edge over other tubed pumps for some folks.

8. MHoskins2179

Correct, no 505 upgrade. Also, no remote option with meter. It's either integrated meter remote or CGM, Animas says.

9. kiwikid

kiwikid Approved members

We have a Vibe and for our 13 yr old its great. She can Dexcom on her own during the day.. and I can remotely monitor at nights, swimming etc. The 200 unit cartridge is a bit of a pain but I keep a filled cartridge in the fridge as soon as we change one, and its quick enough to reload. The MENU is improved on the Vibe with no dial up dose ( which put us right off the 2020).. as well as a few other improvements.

10. sszyszkiewicz

sszyszkiewicz Approved members

Wow talk about brand loyalty!

11. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

If I recall the remote had to go in order to accommodate the CGM, otherwise the pump would have had to have gotten larger.
    I easily would stay with the Animas, but my daughter is fed up with the 200u cartridge. That being said, we are attempting to get a new pump while in warranty. So, if it is turned down, I may just upgrade to the Vibe... LOL, this way too I won't be stuck with an excess of supplies!

12. funnygrl

funnygrl Approved members

I would be signing up for this in a heart beat if it still had the remote. I am not interested in another pump that I have to worry about getting to easily on my body, for now, though. The Omnipod has spoiled me.

13. kiwikid

kiwikid Approved members

Brand loyalty? I'd be Cozmo'ing if we could...

I know we're not doing this the 'correct' way :/ but for Rachel it can mean she doesn't need to carry a meter at all sometimes. She pulls out the pump, checks the Dex, boluses, carries on... of course she takes a meter when going far from home but a meter/remote would be more of a pain for her at the moment.

14. mom24grlz

mom24grlz Approved members

me too. Ashleigh ended up going with the t:slim. She's been on it for a week now. I also heard the vibe doesn't have the remote meter. That's something I miss.

15. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

This ^^^

beep-beep-beep-Beepbeepbabeep:tongue:

16. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

I wonder if insurance will then still pay for Dexcom receivers to use in the Share? When I called Animas today the person I talked to said they would not accept off label for kids using the Vibe. Which I thought was strange. My son turns 18 in Jan so he said go ahead and get paperwork going they will not ship until mid Jan either.

17. Jordansmom

Jordansmom Approved members

If the Vibe pump can't be upgraded with the new Dexcom algorithm, what happens when dexcom submits an improved G5 sensor? Dexcom seems much better/luckier at navigating FDA approval. Will the Vibe just become more and more outdated? It seems like new pumps could be manufactured with the new algorithm even if an earlier version of the Vibe can't be upgraded. Do they have to go through the entire FDA process again? Haven't other diabetes devices been able to upgrade their software?

18. MHoskins2179

Correct, on the Vibe being outdated already and getting more obsolete as time moves forward. Remember, this was released in Europe in 2011. It was supposed to be filed with the FDA not long after that, but they opted to wait until the Dexcom G4 got approval. It then took six months from that time for Animas to "dot their Ts" and file. And it wasn't until very recently that Dexcom's AP Algorithm got approved, so no it wouldn't be the same. And the Vibe is so old-school, those in the know say it can't even be upgraded without a device redesign. Really, this is an integrated pump that was basically designed sometime in 2010, if not before then.

19. Mom264

Mom264 Approved members

Yes, same here! I loved that pump. :D

20. JessiF

JessiF Approved members

Will the Ping still be available to order? I have a toddler in the aping and it suits us well. A remote is a must for me as well as a stand-alone Dexcom receiver.

My eldest son just got diagnosed with type one on Monday and I'd like to get the Ping for him too. He agrees.