- advertisement -

Favorite ways for your young daughter to wear pump?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Mom2CNC, May 3, 2012.

1. Mom2CNC

Mom2CNC Approved members

Hi all- my 6 yo is starting the Ping next week. She really isn't happy clipping it to her pants.

How does your little girl wear her pump? And mine loves to wear dresses:confused:...

Last edited: May 5, 2012
  2. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Just a pump pouch or spibelt - with the ping she can just leave the pump in the pack and you can use the remote. My dd usually lets the pump sit at her back, lowish. (A soft flannel pump pouch is nicer next to the skin than a spibelt).

Last edited: May 3, 2012
  3. NomadIvy

NomadIvy Approved members

She uses a pump pouch (she has several from different companies -- to find the best one)... and we asked someone to sew buttonholes on several of her dresses so the tubing could go through them and the pump is outside her dress. However, doesn't work real great with puffy dresses since the belt of the pouch messes up the form of the dress. For those, she wears the pouch underneath the dress and she wears leggings so she could lift up the dress without having to show underpants! I got her a thigh pouch so we could easily "dig under" the dress to get to the pump, but she didn't like it.

We've also brought the tubing up and out of the armholes. Again, with a pump pouch.

Oh, I just realized she'd be on the Ping. Then you don't have to dig for the pump. If she wants to wear the pump underneath the dress the least bulky pouch would be tummietote (from tallygear.com) or, a spibelt. Both have smalll ones. DD was 6 when she started pumping and had both of them. She also prefers these for when she's in P.E. or doing something very physical.

Dresses are still doable. :)

4. Meredithsmom

Meredithsmom Approved members

My 6 year old loves the pouched from mypumptastic.com. They are very durable. She has worn one almost exclusively for a year and it is just starting to show wear and tear. Good Luck pumping.:p

5. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

My daughter has been pumping since age 4. She's gone from wearing pump packs to now wearing waistit's from pumpwearinc.com They keep the pump close to the body in a nice spandex type band. No belt to bug her skin. They also wear like iron, we've had the same two now for several years and one is now just showing a little hole, but I can tell it will keep hanging on. Spibelts are good, but she feels that they get twisted around too easily. She does use one for running because they have a double pouch one that she can keep sugar in one side meter in the other.

6. McKenna'smom

McKenna'smom Approved members

We love the Too Sweet Boutique pouches. They come in great fabrics, are very durable and comfortable, and they lay flat against the stomach.

http://www.toosweetboutique.net/

7. jlh0920

jlh0920 Approved members

My daughter is a lot younger, 2.5 years old, but we love the tank tops from kangaroo pump pockets... she wears the tank top under her clothes and it keeps it in place, no one can see it. Not sure if your daughter operates the pump herself and would need to reach it herself? They carry tank tops with pockets in the front and also the back... these work better than waist packs for us.

8. denise3099

denise3099 Approved members

spibelt under dress with a button how. But since you have a remote (grr metronic :mad: ) then you don't have to dig for it so that's great. If you wanted to wear it on the outside of the dress, use these. :)

http://www.tummytunnels.com/store

9. akgiauque

akgiauque Approved members

Pump pouch. We like the ones with the clear window and button hole in the back so we can slide the tubing through it without pinching it in the zipper.

She does not care about how it looks yet, no doubt kindergarten will pose some challenges.

10. LisaWright

LisaWright New Member

This is a great string! My DD is 5 and we have had diabetes for just a year. She refuses to wear anything but her pump hooked to her panties or her pants. So i will definitely check out some of these sites. we did buy from tallytotes and although I love the pouch she does not - it is too hot for her.

11. Connie(BC)Type 1

Connie(BC)Type 1 Approved members

Regular cheap fanny packs work too! You can get those at $ store and thrift stores CHEAP!! Hubby got a leather one at the local Surplus store for $3.00(he doesn't pump) and I borrow it all the time!

12. Mom2CNC

Mom2CNC Approved members

Thanks all!! I did order her a SPIbelt first, since it was recommended at the Endo office. She is very excited to try it out. But I love these other ideas so much! I will try a bunch of them for sure. Thanks :) :)

13. katiesdad

katiesdad Approved members

My 3 year old daughter and (just turned 6 today) nephew both have the Ping pump and they wear insulin pump shirts with pump pockets from www.pumpthreads.weebly.com. When my daughter first started the pump I ordered a pump belt but it rubbed her skin, she thought it was bulky and she outgrew it fast. I started sewing pockets onto her shirts and then also for my nephew. I have practiced so much and the kids love the comfort and choice of wearing as an undershirt or as their main attire (and being able to choose different fabric choices) that I decided to perfect the pockets and I actually started the Pump Threads website to offer the shirts to other family with children on pump therapy. Check it out - I think you would find everything you need and will be satisfied.

Best of luck!

P.S. I just introduced these insulin pump tank tops and onesies in color options now! Available for summer! Yeah.

Last edited: May 12, 2012
  14. dragonfly

dragonfly Approved members

we use a pump pouch.

We've also used the tank with the built in pocket which probably would work better with the dresses.