- advertisement -

Faustman Phase 2 Trials (using BCG vaccine to try to reverse diabetes) to begin this year!

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by wilf, Jun 7, 2015.

1. wilf

wilf Approved members

2. virgo39

virgo39 Approved members

I agree! The way I read it, it sounded like the protocol was for two injections four weeks apart and then once annually. I wasn't sure what to make of the following:

The vaccine may be able to improve the disease in people who have small but detectable levels of insulin coming from their pancreas. Lead researcher Dr. Denise Faustman, director of immunobiology at Massachusetts General Hospital (MGH), estimates that about one million people with type 1 diabetes still produce some insulin.

Wondering what percentage of people with type 1 the 1,000,000 would be and if that meant only those would benefit.

Nonetheless, I am very pleased the Dr. Faustman's search for a cure is progressing.

3. buggle

buggle Approved members

It sounds like they will only include those who are secreting at least some C-peptide for Phase II and they plan trials with people with no detectable C-peptide later on.

But, according to this excerpt from a Faustman Lab Newsletter citing presentations at last year's ADA conference, most type 1's produce some insulin:

4. wilf

wilf Approved members