- advertisement -

Father of London

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Rusty, Jun 25, 2008.

1. Rusty

Rusty Approved members

Hello everyone,
    My name is Rusty i am father of London. London is 19 months old and was dx'd type 1 on 4-04-08. I have been in parents chat many times and everyone here at CWD has been very kind and supportive. I have just started getting into forums so i thought i would leave a post intoducing ourselves to all i have not talked with yet. Our story all started a couple of weeks before DX. London started getting sick. He was getting yeast infections, ear infections, Thrush, losing wieght and just getting weaker by the day. I had to doctors 3 times leading up to this and was told everytime it was a virus and it had to run its course, doctor would send us home with perscriptons. The day of dx when he woke up he was so sick he could not even stand up anymore so i took him to ER. The hospital tried to tell me the same thing, that he had a virus. I told the doctor that i know this little boy and that there had to be something else wrong besides a virus. I demanded some kind of tests be done or i was not going to leave till they did them. The doctor then ordered blood and urine tests. Well about half hour later doctor came in and told me he had diabetes and was DKA. I was shocked, so i asked him whats next. (thinking they would give us meds and go home. i did not know anything about Diabetes). Thats when the doctor told me they had a helicopter on they way to transport him to CHOP. The doctors at CHOP were shocked to hear what has happen leading up to this and told me he probrably would not have made it one more day. We spent a week there. I am so gratefull for all they done for London there. London is doing very well now and i am starting to get a handle on all of this. I wanna give a big thanks to everybody that gave me hope that i can do this and was not alone. Thanks from the bottom of my heart to everyone.( you know who you are):)

Rusty and London Shaffer

2. Thoover

Thoover Approved members

Im so sorry you had to go through all of that and as you know now you have found a great place here at CWD. Welcome... Post away with questions, everyone is very helpfull as you probably already know..

It hit home with your story because that is exactly what happened to my daughter so sick she collapsed and couldn't walk.

3. PAULEEN

PAULEEN Approved members

Welcome Rusty! So sorry that you and your son had to go through that. I think that on these boards, you will find it is quite common for our children to be dx'd like this. Many parents here had to fight for the doctors to figure it out. Don't be afraid to ask lots of questions, the experience and knowledge you will find on these boards are amazing! Everyone gets it.

4. hurrayupmom

hurrayupmom Approved members

welcome to Forums Rusty, I have "seen" you in chat room. Sorry about Landon dxd. How close to OH border are you in PA? :)

5. Hollyb

Hollyb Approved members

Hi Rusty,

What a frightening story. We had a couple of false starts with my (much bigger) son too, but at least once we got to the hospital they were all over it. I could tell the doctor suspected diabetes right from the get-go.

Welcome aboard. Nice to see another dad here!

6. Denise

Denise Approved members

Wow. I am completely shocked and feeling utterly blessed that my doctor suspected it immediately. I had suspected a week or so earlier that it was possible but there were legitimate excuses for all of her symptoms. She was peeing more b/c she was drinking more. She was drinking more b/c it was hot outside..and so on. Finally a huge weight loss of 5 pounds in less than 2 weeks prompted me to get her to the doc asap. They did a urine screen and immediately diagnosed her. She had moderate to high ketones. Her glucose was at 582. I cannot imagine my doctor waiting much longer. She looked horribly sick on that day. I am sorry you had to go through all of that but I'm glad you went with your gut!

7. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

Welcome Rusty!

I've seen you on the chat before, but am not sure if we chatted directly or not:eek: In any case, I'm very sorry for your son's dx, but know that you have so much support from the wonderful people on this site.
    I almost lost my son too. The endos told me had we waited one more day he would not have made it. But both your son and mine are here, and their laughter will help us focus on the future.

8. Mama Belle

Mama Belle Approved members

Welcome to the forums, Rusty. I am so sorry London was dx'd with diabetes. :( Some other regular posters here (the Badshoes) have had their share of experiences with CHOP and have nothing but great things to say about them. It sounds like they took good care of you guys. These forums are great, if not somewhat addicting. So, welcome to our family. :cwds:

9. CButler

CButler Approved members

Welcome and we look forward to your posts.

10. Caydens_Mommy

Caydens_Mommy Approved members

Sorry, coming into this late, but Welcome to the boards.. I hope that you find this place as enjoyable and helpful as I do.. I know that it is sure tough having a little one with D..