- advertisement -

Family

Discussion in 'Teens' started by Type1Personality, Jun 14, 2012.

1. Type1Personality

Type1Personality Approved members

D is driving me crazy! I feel like it's always on my mind, all the time. The last straw, though, is that my family, after the initial sympathy wore off, seems embarrassed about my condition. Whenever I pull out my meter before meals, my dad asks if I can go into another room. My sister can hardly look when I give my shots. My brother complains about any used test strips he finds. Also, whenever we're in public, I have to test and inject in the bathroom, which is gross. Any tips on how to deal with my family without seeming rude?

2. jbmom1b2g

jbmom1b2g Approved members

I would sit down and have a talk with them and tell them. Maybe some of your family members have an aversion to blood or needles. Good luck with everything.

3. Connie(BC)Type 1

Connie(BC)Type 1 Approved members

Tell them to get used to it, and do it in public!

4. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

Ask them to see a counselor with you. If they won't do that, ask them to meet other folks with diabetes, and/or ask them to go to the bathroom and stick a needle in themselves before every meal. I don't think doing it for a day is long enough to get the point across.
    You have the right to test and inject in public.
    I suspect that their fears are that other people will judge them badly if they see you. Which is not true, for one thing, and not fair, for another.

5. Dounuts

Dounuts Approved members

I was lucky coz my parents and my aunty were really good about it but both sets of grandparents were a bit mean about it as one grandad doesnt like needles (far enough) the other used to work for the pharmacy in boots so thinks he knows better then my d nurse and both nans were nurses when blood sugars were measured by weeing in a bottle and also think they know better. Just ignore them in public when they want you to go to the bathroom to do your stuff, do it in front of them there will be arguments but they will learn to live with it. as for test strips no matter what i do i csnnot win that one, there is always one on the floor somewhere, just make sure there are no needles and you should be fine:D

6. krystalkat

krystalkat Approved members

Oh HECK No

I would do exactly as LantusFiend said and see a counselor with them. That's just ridiculous. They need to understand that diabetes is a condition that everyone in the family is affected by, and you most of all.

Maybe they don't realize what they're doing to you. Sit down with them and talk about it, or if you're too busy write them an email or letter and send/give it to them to read. It'll help, I promise.

I was lucky enough to have a family that understands, but my friends didn't. They didn't really want to be around me, so I sort of understand where you are coming from.

7. sarahspins

sarahspins Approved members

Agreed.. and get out of the habit of testing/injecting in bathrooms - that's asking for an infection, and IMO it's not worth it. If they have a problem with it than it's THEIR problem, it shouldn't become yours.

8. MissEmi

MissEmi Approved members

Exactly right...there aren't many places that breed more bacteria than a public restroom.

I second Jonah, try to convince them to go to counseling with you; they need to learn that diabetes is a family effort. Their support is important, because without it, it's almost like begging for burnout. You need to be able to live your life, and yours just so happens to come with needles and blood, and they need to realize that.

9. theMask

theMask Approved members

It is probably just awkward for them at this point in time. You haven't been diagnosed very long I'm assuming, so they still haven't adjusted. Heck, my family still only says 'Whats your blood sugar?' or 'Go do your blood sugar' otherwise, they rarely speak to me. Mostly because they find it extremely awkward, or uncomfortable. I use to have to go to the bathroom to do shots, but one day I just said 'Aw, to heck with it, the world can get over itself.' and started doing my shots at the table. I'm discreet about it, naturally, and I rarely get any mean looks, and when I do, I just give the person one right back for being judgmental :p. Try talking to your family, work out compromises(hope that is the word I was looking for), and try to understand from their view, and get them to understand yours.