advertisement

Families in Europe???

Discussion in 'Europe' started by StillMamamia, Mar 27, 2008.

1. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

Hi,

Just asked Jeff if it would be possible to have a Europe (non-UK) subheading, and he's done it....thanks a gazillion Jeff!!!!:cwds:

So, anyone out there who lives in Europe??? I live in Luxembourg, so I'm at a great crossroads to meet anyone.

My son is now 4, dx at 2. He's on the pump, and doing well...

Hoping to 'meet' some of you!!!!

2. Sia

Sia Approved members

Hi!

I live in Athens, Greece....Expat from Chicago-US.

It was nice to see this thread. I don't feel all alone out here.

My daughter Katerina was diagnosed last May. She'll be six in July.

3. StillMamamia

Kalimera Sia,

Nice to 'hear' from you.

How is Katerina doing? Is she on the pump? How is the diabetes care/ped care in Greece? Has she met other kids in Greece also Type 1?

How are you doing?

Til next time and til then take care!

4. Sia

Sia Approved members

Hi Stillmamamia,

Just found time to check out the forum. Nice to see someone close. How's Ian?
    Katerina is not wearing a pump. She takes very little insulin so far...still honeymooning. Hope this lasts for a while cause I don't see much interest from her kindergarten teacher.
    So, was the Kalimera because you speak Greek or because you have Greek friends? Many of my friends in the States had picked up some words from me.
    The care here could be better?:confused: I want to check out another Children's Diabetes Center before I am sure. We haven't met any Type I's yet. I asked about support groups and I was told by many people here that there aren't any (I'm still searching) and that it's not a good idea cause parents will go to complain instead of supporting each other.

5. StillMamamia

Hi Sia,

No, I don't speak Greek, just know a few words from 'job experience'...I've worked with people from many different nationalities, including Greeks...and been to Crete once:D

To be honest, I think it might be a 'cultural' thing...I've lived in the US years ago, and there the people are just so much more geared towards group things, whereas in Europe I find that people tend to want to stay in their little niche and not really share their problems...but that's my own opinion, and it's probably stereotyping, but I do think it's like this. Which might explain why there aren't many (if any) support groups in other countries. I know there's one here in Lux, but it's so much different from the support on this site. Not saying it's worse, just different...

I hope you can find some support though...maybe speaking with doctors and nurses, and trying to convince them to form one...maybe coming from them, the parents would feel more confortable, and take it more seriously, you know what I mean?

I'm from Portuguese descent, and let me tell you...they love to complain too...it's just like that...you have to be persistent...;)

Hoping to hearing from you soon!

6. StillMamamia

Sia,

Me again:eek:

Just thought of something...I believe there are other parents on here who live in Greece...maybe , if you feel like it,post something on the Parents of Children with Type 1 forum area, requesting their input on forming a group...you never know...

7. meane

meane New Member

type 1

hello stillmamamia,
    I'm verry news on this forum....... and not so far.....
    My little girl 2 years old Méane is diabetic 1 since 3 months. We are from switzerland, and she's with a pump since the beginner....
    Here in Geneva we have a verry nice support for this sickness.
    Je parle aussi francais....
    Is your boy with a pump too??? What about when he's sick???? thas is my most black point, the sickness, it's so hard to keep a good blood sugar... What is your experience about???
    Thank you for you attention, and have a nice day!

8. StillMamamia

Bonjour,

Je suis désolée que vous avez du joindre notre 'famille'...c'est toujours avec beaucoup de tristesse que je lis l'arrivée d'un nouveau membre...mais je vous souhaite quand même la bienvenue, et peut vous assurer qu'ici vous allez trouver des êtres humains merveilleux, tous prêts à vous guider, à vous informer et à vous soutenir dans tous vos moments d'inquiètude!

Est-ce que on vous a parlé du 'monogenic diabetes' ? J'ai lu à ce sujet ici dans le site. Ca concerne les enfants diagnostiqués avant l'âge d'un an, je crois...

Ouis, Ian porte aussi la pompe à insuline (Deltec Cozmo)...et il se porte très bien...bien sûr avec les hauts et les bas de cette maladie:rolleyes:

En ce moment, il est enrhumé, alors bonjour les montées et descentes de glycèmie:rolleyes: mais, bon, c'est comme ça, et il faut gérer du mieux que l'on peut...

A bientôt!

PS - Translation...just so noone thinks I'm bad-mouthing anyone:D

I'm very sorry that you had to join our family...it's always with sadness that I welcome new members...but I welcome you nonetheless. I can assure you that you will find many wonderful human beings on here, all ready to guide you, inform you, and give you support in your down moments!

Have you heard about monogenic diabetes? I believe it concerns children dx before the age of 1 year...

Yes, Ian also wears the pump, and he's doing well...of course, with the usual ups and downs of this disease...

Right now, he's got a cold...so those hypos and hypers are very frequent, but we manage the best we can.

9. StillMamamia

Meane,

Maybe I misunderstood...was your daughter dx 3 months ago, or has she been dx since she was 3 months old???

Sorry for the confusion....:cwds:

10. meane

meane New Member

re meane

hi stillmamamia,
    Thank's to answer to my chat on this forum.....
    We have found meane's diabet last January when she was 21 months!
    We are facing this "family" for only 3 months now... ans since, meane has got 2 colds, with fever and so on! wawooo, it's not easy to face it, and thinking that it will be like this for all the next years makes me affraid!
    How do you face with diabet everydays????? how do you immagine the futur???' ......
    I realy apreciate to share your experience!
    Receive all my bests wishes.....
    PS, I writte in english even if i'm not good at, then everybody can share it on this forum......
    byby:)

11. StillMamamia

HI 'Meane',

I'm sorry you guys are facing colds, fever, etc...I'm assuming her bgs are not so great then for now?? I hope she gets better soon. My 2 boys also have a small cold, so I can understand it's not easy.

In the beginning it is very hard to adjust to this new life, isn't it? Learning so many new things, and having no time to take a break from diabetes.

My son was DKA at 2 years old, when he was admitted to the emergency room. BG in the mid-900s, and severely dehydrated. I have a photo of him 3 days before he went into the hospital, and let me tell you...it makes me really sad to look at it, and I ask myself how did I not notice anything??? But the doctors tell me...what would that have changed? Nothing...diabetes was already there.

Ian is doing very well. He is on the pump. He goes to pre-k (précoce school??), which is optional schooling, but it has been very good for him. The teachers have been wonderful in learning about diabetes Type 1, testing him and giving him the bolus. (he is the only one there with diabetes) And for now, there is no problem with the other children. That's something I worry about, when he's older, that the other children will make fun of him, but we'll see.

I try to read as much as I can, but I still feel like I don't know much. Especially after reading in the forums...there are so many knowledgeable people here, it's amazing. I hope one day I will be like them.

How do I imagine the future?? VERY HAPPY AND BRIGHT!!! I am a very positive person, and have never let anything keep my spirit and hopes down for too long, so I hope I can teach that to both my children, especially Ian. I think, if we believe it is possible, then our children will also believe that. And I believe anything is possible...so:)

I hope you are doing well. Until next time, take care!

PS - Come to the Parents Chat if you'd like, when you can.

12. zuzinka

zuzinka Approved members

Hi there
    Does not looks like so many people from Europe.
    I would like to join in as well. Living in Austria at the moment.

My daughter Sophie was diagnosed 2 month ago in Nov 08.

It really feels nice to have someone to chat to, who has gone through the same thing since for me this is the first time in life to be introduced to Diabetes. Nobody from families had it but as I have read a bit, that happens to quite a few.

Few days ago we had our first Flu - sick days, which was a real nightmare, almost like the first days comming from the hospital. It was a real rollecoster especially since it was first time and Sophie was not even too much sick. Just a bit elevated temperature for 2 days. I dont know what to expect if she would really be sick. Well i guess we will find out.

She is on CGMS with Minimed pump from the diagnosis. We have also put Sophie straight on the sensor, because in hospital her BG was once 28 and she was still singing, so I was freaking to leave hospital without it.
    Still waiting for insurance to answer about coverage for it though.

So, I am completely new to all of this, slowly learning all and researching everything there is to it.

I am very happy to find this site and I am sure will became a regular.

13. StillMamamia

Hi,
    Nice to "meet" you.:)
    I'm very sorry for Sophie's dx:(

I am a bit jealous since you guys have the CGM already...we have to wait a few more years:rolleyes: (olders kids do have them). How does Sophie manage with both sites on her body? Is putting them on ok? Does she scream a lot? Is the CGM covered by your health insurance? Sorry I am being so curious:eek:

Ok, please do not feel intimated about posting and I hope to read some of your experiences soon.

14. zuzinka

zuzinka Approved members

Hi
    Sorry to reply only now, but we went for a week skiing a bit.

Well Sophie copes with both sites pretty OK now. At the beginning it was a real horror but slwly she got used to it. We have used Emla Plaster everytime for both sites but now I have done few times already without and think that we will slowly stop Emla, since I have realized that it was more psychological and not because of the pain.

How come you do not have CGM? Sophie is only 2,5. But we do not have it covered by insurance yet. We have applied, but still awaiting for the reply from them. Hopefully it will be positive since she is very small.
    Regarding doctors here, they were not very much convinced about the second location on her body, since they have done some study and found out apparently that the overal life did not change in families with pump only compare to the one with CGM.
    But for my case, I was not willing to go home from the hospital without one. I dont know, but the beginning I think I would not sleep a minute in the night. And I think, that if there is that choice and if the kid is taking it ok, then why not.

15. hold48398

hold48398 Approved members

Hello my friends from Europe! I was born and raised in Zurich, Switzerland but moved to the US 16 years ago (also lived in England for a year). So, technically I am not in Europe anymore..well, except for my heart :p. I just wanted to post a HELLO and WELCOME to all!

16. Budapest

Budapest Approved members

Hello to all fellow Europeans.

You guessed it right -- we live in Budapest.

DS was dx'ed @ 22 months, about 2.5 yrs ago. That would make him have D for more than half his life already. Scary thought, heh?

We are pumping and CGMing and are ordering most of our supplies from www.diashop.de it is a great site. Now they have an English version as well. I got them to offer shipping UPS as well in addition to the less reliable Deutshe Post/DHL postal service.

17. Nany73

Nany73 Approved members

Hi from Portugal

Hi there,
    I'm from Lisbon in Portugal.
    My son Bernardo is 5 years old and was diagnosed 3 and a half months ago.
    It is being very hard to accept, but as I was advised, I must give it some time to accept.

18. teacherone

teacherone Approved members

Hi there,

we are in Germany. We usually only read threads in the parents of children with diabetes 1 section. So I just saw this one now. Nice idea! Thank you.

Our son Jack is now 19 months old, dx in June this year. We will be getting a pump in about two weeks time. Which we are both, excited and a bit scared about. But hoping it will improve his bgs and give us a little more flexibility as he is a total grazer and not a big eater in general.

19. emm142

emm142 Approved members

Can I count as being in Europe? Exclusive club as it is.. :p There are hardly any UKers on here and I'm a bit lonely. :p And my dad's side of my family is French so I definitely really should count.. ;)

20. StillMamamia

ROFLMAO!! I guess you're in!:D