- advertisement -

Fact Sheets for educating summer camp staff

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by susanlindstrom16, Jun 22, 2015.

1. susanlindstrom16

susanlindstrom16 Approved members

My daughter is starting a new summer camp (not overnight) next week. I'm trying to gather some reference materials to bring to a meeting this wednesday. Does anybody know where I can find some materials to print out so that they have for quick reference? I'm specifically looking for the one page "Signs of low/ high blood glucose" that can be hung up in the areas where they will be most of the time. I'm kind of remembering that ADA had some but i can't find them now.

2. rgcainmd

rgcainmd Approved members

You might want to check this out:

http://caregiversguidetotype1diabetes.wordpress.com

I haven't looked at this in what seems like ages, but I printed up several copies and gave it to staff at my daughter's (non-diabetes) day camp last summer.

ETA: Parts of this guide go into more detail than necessary (when using it for purposes like instructing day camp staff), so I highlighted the important parts. That way, they could read the "basics" and quickly/easily refer to this info if a problem arose, and read the rest (or at least more) if they wanted to learn more about T1D/when they had more time (doubt that happened...)

Last edited: Jun 22, 2015
  3. funnygrl

funnygrl Approved members

4. susanlindstrom16

susanlindstrom16 Approved members

Thanks guys these are perfect! I think the premise of that blog/ guide is really good- I have trouble figuring out the appropriate level of detail to go into sometimes. I want to get the most important stuff across in a way that makes sense but doesn't overload them.

5. Tricia22

Tricia22 Approved members

OMG! rgcainmd! That's my blog! YAY! It's intended for "part-time caregivers" of kids with type 1 diabetes as an overview. I had originally written it for a good friend that was applying for a 24/7 nanny position, so I had to go into more detail than just the basics, but didn't want it to be so all inclusive like for parents, so it's kind of an in between reference and in the printed version I have done, I had note pages in the back - blank lined sheets; tables for writing in basal rates; I:C ratios; ISFs; Lantus amounts; etc.