- advertisement -

Facebook

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by mom2Hanna, Jan 21, 2013.

1. mom2Hanna

mom2Hanna Approved members

So every once in awhile I post the symptoms of type 1 on my Facebook status. A Facebook friend just PM'd me to say she read them off my page to her cousin, whose 2 1/2 yo is at the hospital right now and been dxd. I'm so glad I do it but so very very sad for them.

2. kidpsych2be

kidpsych2be Approved members

I can imagine how helpful that would be to even just one person.

When I read that, I thought "yes! Had I have had a friend on Facebook post symptoms, things could have been very different involving my daughter's diagnosis" or some such thing in my head.....Really, I wish I'd stumbled upon symptoms earlier. Now I preach from mountain tops about symptoms so that hopefully another little kid can avoid DKA or possible coma. What a horrid, horrid way to be diagnosed.

Also, I'm sorry your friend's cousin has to endure this.

3. mom2Hanna

Hi Jenna
    I'm sorry about your daughters dxs.

4. DsMom

DsMom Approved members

I'm sorry about your friend's cousin, too:(, but I think it's a great thing that you post the signs of D. It is so sad to read of people's dx stories that could have gone so much smoother had docs been more on top of things. We were so lucky when my son was dx...my sister mentioned she saw my son drinking a lot (which I had already noticed and attributed it to it being the summer and he was just thirsty) and that his breath was fruity (which I had blamed on his fruit-flavored toothpaste:rolleyes:). Even those of us who know the signs and have it in our families benefit from a reminder or gentle nudge. My sister helped me to face up to the signs I had been seeing...but not seeing...and, as a result, we got him to the hospital very early on in the process before he felt sick or had lost weight. He actually loved the hospital, except for all the new pokes...and thought it was his birthday because of all the presents! I think what you do can really save people some additional heartache and pain in seeing their child suffer.

5. mom2Hanna

I have to actually credit Becky who I know from here, we're Facebook friends and whenever she puts up symptom I share or copy.

6. Anyelday

Anyelday Approved members

Many people on FB private messaged me and asked me how I knew to take Eliza to the ER. I really should start posting the symptoms to my wall. My husband and I both knew the symptoms but it was actually the push from my PICU nurse neighbor who suggested it looked like we were probably dealing with possible type 1 and a virus that kick started it that made me go on X-mas eve and not wait any longer.

What do you all post?

7. mom2Hanna

There's a chart with a list of symptoms, ill search it out and link it here.

8. Jaredsmom

Jaredsmom Approved members

I too post often the signs and symptoms of d on My FB page. I do this because the only reason I knew what was wrong with Jared as soon as I did was because I had just graduated from nursing school exactly 1 week prior to Jared's dx. There is no history of type 1 in our family so it came as a total shock when Jared was diagnosed. Had I not just gotten out of nursing school he would have gotten much worse than he was. He had already lost 12 # and was urinating every 30 min. and had started peeing the bed after being potty trained for 2 1/2 years.

9. Bigbluefrog

Bigbluefrog Approved members

That is a good idea, and educating.....sorry about the recent dx, hopefully they caught it early knowing the signs.