- advertisement -

Face book thing, what would you do?

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by pianoplayer4, Dec 15, 2011.

1. pianoplayer4

pianoplayer4 Approved members

Just some backround, I'm not a great speller, I've been teased about it for years. It's not that hard to avoid spelling where people might read it,but I'm a writer at heart. I LOVE to write, and not to toot my own horn, but I'm pretty good at it too.

So any way this is what happened, I've been working on a new story for like a month or two, its consuming me. So today I posted this as my status,

"You know your a writer when you looking the mirror and you have pen on your face, look at your room and its a pig's sty, look at your inbox and it full of junk mail, and all you want to do is keep writing."

I do read over my posts before I post them, but some things escape me (I guess I'm human after all!) so my grand father relpys to my post,

"‎'you're a writer' Writers need to learn spelling or they can say the wrong thing!"

Granted he is right, but I really don't care that much. this is not what I want to hear from my grandpop! this is not the first time he has done this, more like the twentieth. plus it is the only thing that he posts on my wall, he never comments on anything but my grammer. now all of my friends, who would not have noticed the mistake if mot for him, are likeing his comment. I feel like an idiot! He's my grandpop, I'm only 16 so I don't want to be rude, but he needs to stop this! People just stopped making fun of me for stuff like this.=(((
    I repsonded
    "Spelling is nothing without creativity, I would rathr bee creative and us spelll checke than be able to spell properly and have no creative skills what so ever. "
    (yes the mistakes were intentional)

I don't think he'll stop, it really bugs me. more than I care to admit, I'm the kind of person who will not comment, or find a different word for what I'm saying if I'm worried I wont spell it right. I thought about posting "I said I was a writer, not an english profeser" But I wasn't sure how you spell profesor and it would only get worse if I spelled it wrong.:mad:

I just really don't know what to do here, my mom would be on his side (she's a writing teacher) so I can't get her to talk to him...:mad::eek::( I just wish once he could comment something about how great it is that I write, or something other than "This is wrong, that is wrong, oh and tell your sister I say hi!"

2. sooz

sooz Approved members

It IS great that you are creative and you are a writer!! FB is quite generational. By that I mean, people your age, and people my age and your grandpop's age have different ways of expressing themselves there and different ways of showing support to someone. He posts that way because he cares about you, and that is the only way he knows of showing it. He loves you more than anything, and he is proud of you. You know how I know? Because he is interested in you and what you do. Grandparents adore their grandkids...that is just the way it is. But men sometimes don't get what is the best way to verbalize that, so they want to help if they see a place to help. That is caring, not criticism you are reading. Try to look at it from his perspective and turn it around in your head. Keep up the great work and the next time you see him, give him an extra big hug and tell him you appreciate the help he is giving!! Seriously, I bet I am right...hang in there and continue to pursue your passion for writing!!

3. sooz

sooz Approved members

Speaking of fb and writing, I just found this quote on my fb and I thought you would like it:

Writing, to me, is simply thinking through my fingers. - Isaac Asimov

4. Butterfly Betty

Butterfly Betty Approved members

I think it's great that you're a writer, so am I. I can't tell you how many people make those same mistakes, even I have. I wish I had advice on how to handle this situation with your grandfather, but I don't. It was a rude comment to make, but I don't know that saying anything would do any good.

Just keep plugging away and remember that with writing, or anything that you're passionate about, the think that matters is that you put your heart and soul into your words.

5. caspi

caspi Approved members

I have an uncle in Scotland that would comment on the most random things. It became quite embarrassing so when I'm posting I remove him from seeing it. He's none the wiser. ;)

6. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

I'm a lousy speller as well, so I always re-read my text and yes, I take the time to double check the spelling of any word about which I am unsure. That's what us lousy spellers have to do if we want to avoid looking not too bright. :rolleyes: Sad maybe, but true.

When I see other people using "alot" or failing to use an apostrophe in a contraction I question their education and i assume that people who spell normally do the same when I make goofy spelling choices. Written language just works better when it's uniform and people follow the same rules.

So, my advice is to ignore grandpa and use the dictionary. ;)

7. purplewowies

purplewowies Approved members

Writing is not about spelling; it's about heart. A story is like a child. You, as a writer, are the parent who guides it. As it grows, it begins to take on a personality of its own, and if you truly love it, you will help to shape it into a stunning adult (AKA the finished story). Every parent makes mistakes along the way, and that does not make you a bad parent. As long as you instill the right things in your child, that child will blossom into an amazing adult.

I'm a writer, too, and your status describes me to a T. In fact, I'm supposed to be packing to leave college for winter break tomorrow and my room's a mess, but I just want to write. :)

8. Lee

Lee Approved members

Ignore it...don't let it get to you. I actually think a fad now is to tease people people by teasing people on their misspellings in FB. I see it all over the place.

I, for one, can't spell my way out of a shallow bathtub...but I write for part of my living. I hope that helps!

9. pianoplayer4

Thanks, I was really upset when I posted here. My dad's family is really in to teasing, they always have been so I'm not to upset that he said what he did (at least I'm not upset now) Its just anoying because now people who would not have noticed the mistake will... whatever I don't really have the energy to care anymore. Thankyou all for your lovely comments! Now, off to finish editing the first chapter of my story!

10. MissEmi

MissEmi Approved members

I just seem to "know" when a word isn't spelled properly. I'm also considering becoming an English teacher, though ;). Keep pressing on, we're all human, and I'm sure you'll become a better speller with time :D. Don't let your grandfather's comments bother you! The only way we can learn to spell better is to actually spell words, right? And then, we make mistakes and learn from them. Also, I know if you use Google Chrome, there is an automatic spell-checker, kind of like Microsoft Word has. It does the red squiggly line under words that aren't spelled correctly, and then if you right click it, it has suggestions. It's free, you just have to download it. It can just get annoying when you're using acronyms and such.

Also, what is your story about? :D :D

11. MamaBear

MamaBear Approved members

We all misspell from time to time. I've always been very good at spelling, that is until I became very tired in the past year. My grammar is another story altogether. As far as grandpa, try not to let it bother you too much. As far as your writing goes, keep plodding along, write it all down, use spell check for your manuscripts, and let the copy editors worry about the rest. ;)

12. pianoplayer4

thank you for all the replies, I just downloaded Google chrome, its so nice to know that I didn't miss any mis-spelled words!

13. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

I do a lot of commenting on bad grammar etc when people write posts that I want to let them know I've read but am not really sure how to reply to. My guess is that your grandfather is trying to let you know that he reads your stuff and is trying to offer constructive criticism. If you tell him that you know he's trying to be helpful, you are more likely to get a positive response from him than if you just blow up at him.

14. akgiauque

akgiauque Approved members

My thoughts

Tears, Grandpas hate them from grandkids because grandmas yell at them for it :D.
    I agree with the previous post, his way of saying I am reading it and his way of pushing you even though you may not want it. I am 40 and my grandpa still does it to me, the teasing in our family is a way of openly criticizing with love, making a correction without hurting feelings. Does not always work but it is still done with love. BTW I am the worst speller, I keep a word doc open so I can use the spell check as I post.
    Read you blog, moving stuff added it to my bookmarks, thanks for sharing.

15. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

I was reading through the replies to see if anyone suggested using Chrome. It has saved me in multiple situations.

16. Kaylee's Mom

Kaylee's Mom Approved members

What is google chrome? Will it spell check everything you write? My son could certainly use that. The only time I have corrected a kid's spelling on facebook was when he was saying how dumb school was .. but spelled like 3 words wrong in his statement. haha ... I would not let your grandfather bother you. I am sure he is not trying to hurt your feelings. Just hide your posts from him ... Happy Holidays.

Crystal

17. pianoplayer4

Google Chrome is a free internet sever ( I think that's the right word) just like safari or Internet Explorer. It's wonderful! It spell checks everything you write (when your online) and gives suggestions for how to spell it correctly just like a word document would.

18. Helenmomofsporty13yearold

Helenmomofsporty13yearold Approved members

This "teasing" you mention is probably why Grandpa thinks you need to be perfect.....so you don't get teased like he was. Pretty sad, but probably something you can't change. 90% of us come from dysfunctional families. I doubt he would get it if you mentioned it to him, but it may make you feel like you are standing up for yourself. He is trying to love you the only way he knows how and protect you from criticism.

19. pianoplayer4

Oh it's just for fun (the teasing) My dad's one of eight kids and most of them are boys so they just like to banter. My family does the same thing and it doesn't bother me too much. It just bothers me on face book because I can't tell if he's teasing me or not.

20. Heather(CA)

Heather(CA) Approved members

OK so I have a few suggestion, and I have been where you are. That's why I hate it when teachers mark down for spelling on a rough draft...Your thinking about writing not spelling.

First get Google spell check. It's amazing! It checks my spelling no matter where on the internet I'm typing. Including here and Facebook :D

Next make a joke out of what he said, don't let them see you sweat...Say something like "Ha ha didn't you get the memo??? All my misspelled words are typos lol"

Then, you need to nicely stand up for yourself. Tell your Grandpa privately that if he has something negative to say, to do it in a private message. You don't appreciate him trying to embarrass you in public which is what the internet is...public.

If that doesn't work...I don't know all the ways to do it, blocking, etc...but make it so he can't embarrass you anymore. It's not cool even if he is your Grandpa;)