- advertisement -

Eye doctors and insurance

Discussion in 'Teens OT' started by kierbabi09, Jul 10, 2009.

1. kierbabi09

kierbabi09 Approved members

So..it's no secret that I wear glasses. Without them I'm probably close (though not quite) legally blind. I can see maybe 2 or 3 inches in front of my face without them. I used to get my prescription changed every year. I haven't gotten this prescription changed in 2 years, but I need a new one, as I'm having a hard time seeing again.
    So..I went today to get an eye exam and a new prescrition for my glasses. And they tell me "You are not eligible to get an exam today. Once you turn 18your insurance said you are only eligible every 2 years, not EVERY year." WHAT????:eek: I can't afford to pay for the appointment out of pocket. I just don't have the money.
    I've been having a hard time seeing and I can't go again to see the doctor until February:mad::(
    You have got to be kidding me. Grrrr...that just frustrates me so bad!!!
    Sorry, I had to vent I guess.
    I'm afraid that when I go away to school I'm not going to be able to see anything in my classes, you know?
    I just had to get that out:eek:

2. sarahspins

sarahspins Approved members

Do they realize you're diabetic? That normally changes things... I am allowed an eye exam every year on my insurance. If I wasn't diabetic, it would be only every 2 years.

3. FeeferGross

FeeferGross Approved members

i just pay out of pocket for eye exams, never had insurance on it at all :rolleyes:

how much does the exam cost? mine is usually around $50, and my last pair of glasses were only around $150. i think its well worth $200

4. k.hawkins92

k.hawkins92 Approved members

yeah, I would definetly mention being diabetic, becuase that usually will change things. Eyes are one of those things that tend to deteriorate with diabetes, so I know at least my insurance allows yearly exams.

5. beck95

beck95 Approved members

sorry your havin trouble with ya eyes.:( im short sided so i know what its like to have to keep asking to move your desk foward. i think if youve got glasses they should allow you to get a checkup done every year. i think its wrong that they dont do that.

6. kierbabi09

kierbabi09 Approved members

To be honest I don't know how much an exam costs. I thought it would be a lot more expensive than $50:rolleyes:
    If I knew it was that cheap I would have paid out of pocket.

7. MissEmi

MissEmi Approved members

Awe :(. Mine pays every year, but I'm still under 18 :). Mentioning D should help, it got me into an Ophthamologist instead of just an Optometrist :D. Hope everything works out.

8. sarahspins

sarahspins Approved members

An optometrist is probably around that. An ophthalmologist visit will usually cost more ($200 range without insurance)... but an ophthalmologist is an MD, so a visit is generally covered under your medical coverage, NOT vision coverage (vision coverage is what pays for glasses, and usually only covers seeing an optometrist for an exam). If you need a referral to see one, get one.. but it should be covered if you have health insurance.

I personally wouldn't trust my vision to an optometrist - an Ophthalmologist has about 4 more years of education. Since you have a condition that makes you at risk for eye problems, it's just not worth the risk that an Optometrist may not catch something early. My Ophthalmologist specializes in diabetic retinopathy.. and even though I have no signs of it so far, I do feel reassured that I have an 'expert' doing the checking.