- advertisement -

Extending the Honeymoon/Looking for an Endo

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Mellaril, Aug 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zymotic

Zymotic Approved members

Fat chance. Another one run off because they dared feed their child too much meat and not enough grains.

2. Lee

Lee Approved members

Who, exactly, says that carbs consist only of potato chips and cookies?

3. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Dude. If you want anyone to actually listen to what you're saying and have a rational conversation with you, tone it down about 10 notches. Your wife has previously managed to say the substance of what you've said without coming across judgmental, hostile, defensive and a tad nuts. Maybe take some tips from her.

If you want to feed your kids a low carb diet, no skin off my nose. I'm here to tell you that it's not necessary in order to have good BG control, but if that's the path you choose to follow, more power to you.

4. wilf

wilf Approved members

What the heck is this about? No one is talking about stuffing your son (or his brothers, or other kids with Type 1 D) with chips and cookies.

We're talking about the importance of kids getting "good" carbs (see my previous post) as part of their basic nutritional requirements.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2012
  5. Zymotic

Zymotic Approved members

We give him some fruit- stuff that has lower glycemic index like apples.

Nutrition 101 as it's defined in this country is killing us in my opinion. Grains are one of the biggest problems.

Not sure if defining vast is necessary. With our son it was about getting rid of foods that spiked his blood sugar. Turned out that was cutting out most processed sugars and and all flour and grains. I will say that I think 75 carbs per meal for example is astounding for anyone. I personally eat 10 to 20 carbs per day.

I agree a good nutritionist can provide very useful advice. Our definition of a good nutritionist just differs greatly.

We tried everything to control his blood sugar folks! We had pre-bolusing down to a science. It was so precise that he had maybe a 5 minute window that he had to eat. Too soon and he would spike over 200. Too late and he would go low. Threw more and more insulin until we had to back off. Upped the basals. Everything and anthing but it didn't work. We're not just doing this because we think its fun. It's not easy and our grocery bill is astounding.
    Now it's rare that he goes about 140 when he eats. Now the days of "two arrows down" and tons of insulin on board are over!

6. Zymotic

Zymotic Approved members

My wife laughed when I told her that. She also says she is sorry she got me involved because I won't get off the computer.

If you don't believe me that is was necessary then maybe you'll believe her. I'm telling her to post!

7. Zymotic

Zymotic Approved members

Substitute whole grain bread then.

8. Zymotic

Zymotic Approved members

We don't agree how "goodness" of carbs and how many they should get.

9. Lee

Lee Approved members

So you never even have a glass of milk? Or a spoonful of peanut butter? Or a beer? I can't imagine my life without a beer or a vodka and tonic or peanut butter.

10. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Your son was diagnosed very young, and I have no experience with a baby with diabetes, so I am not going to tell you what was or wasn't necessary for you to do. My observation from this board is that very young children are extremely hard to manage, and that it gets easier in most cases around age 4 or so. I'm not saying that you should start feeding him cookies and candy once he gets older, but you may find that it is not as necessary to restrict healthy carbs as your son's body grows. Just some food for thought, if you will.

11. sooz

sooz Approved members

This sounds like the old Atkins diet. So, are you in ketosis?

12. wilf

wilf Approved members

Thanks for explaining.

I would encourage continuing to build in fruit and veggies and low GI carbs as he gets older.

No problem with restricting crap carbs, we do that here too.

13. wilf

wilf Approved members

Man that's harsh dude - that would just cover my first beer..

14. Zymotic

Zymotic Approved members

Milk-No (12 carbs per 8 oz!). Tons of cheese though!
    Love spoonfuls of peanut butter (especially all the fat ;). I think only about 2 net carbs per tablespoon.
    Corona used to be my beer of choice. Now it's something light. Taste is definitely lacking and do miss drinking full body beers. Wine: only about 4 carbs I think in a pinot noir and it usually lowers my blood sugar.

I've given up some foods but I'm also 33 lbs lighter and I have a 30 inch waist. Originally switched to low carb because I thought I was developing diabetes and I still might be. Not sure if I am and if it would be type 1 or 2.

15. Zymotic

Zymotic Approved members

Not anymore. Keto adapted I imagine.

16. Zymotic

Zymotic Approved members

Nothing is set in stone.

17. Zymotic

Zymotic Approved members

Thanks. And I will try to tone it down. I'm used to arguing with pompous pilots on other message boards and I guess I brought that style with me.

18. Zymotic

Zymotic Approved members

I figure drinking light beer may be worth being able to prolong my career a bit longer.

19. swellman

swellman Approved members

Wow, if a spike to 200 is radical diet-worthy then we're the worst parents .... ever.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 20, 2012
  20. emm142

emm142 Approved members

I tend to be of the opinion that a balanced diet is best. On the average day I have around 3/4 pieces of fruit (apples, bananas, nectarines, berries, etc.) and 2/3 servings of vegetables. I eat wholegrain cereal for breakfast and soup for lunch. I usually have some kind of starch at dinner, often quinoa or potatoes, rice or pasta. I try to limit white bread and white rice/pasta (although it's harder when I'm at home as my sister doesn't like the brown stuff). I also try to limit cheese and most of my fat comes from fish (I'm pescetarian). My carbs generally come to 200-250g per day (including low treatments).

If I were to take out the fruit and grains from my diet, I would have to massively raise the fat content. Since the problems with excessive fat consumption are well documented, I wouldn't want to do that. Right now my cholesterol is great and my HDL/LDL ratio is awesome. That's about as important as my A1C IMO. As long as I prebolus right and exercise, I don't find complex carbs and fruit too hard to cover. It's high fat foods like cheese that I have serious problems covering when I do eat them.

Each to their own.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.