- advertisement -

Extend bars for exercise

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by monkeyschool, May 27, 2011.

1. monkeyschool

monkeyschool Approved members

I am considering these (http://www.extendbar.com/about/nutrition_bars.asp#1) for sports summer camps for DD12. I am hoping you guys can offer your insight on this product, both in terms of how it's worked for you as well as any nutrition info (I can't figure out half of the ingredients in the label...not sure if it is worth it in this regard).

Thank you
    D.

ETA...I am not a big fan of Splenda or vanillin so I am a bit put off by the snack, but if it claims to do what it says and these are the worse two of the ingredients I am okay with these for a couple of weeks as needed (we are looking to do 6-8hr dance camp for several weeks in the summer). It's the other stuff in the list that I have no idea about.

Last edited: May 27, 2011
  2. Michelle'sMom

Michelle'sMom Approved members

We've used them off & on for a while now. Late last spring, while dd was still honeymooning, we were dealing with lows from PE. We had been using granola bars, uncovered, & still seeing lows. We had to cover for half the carbs in the Extend bar, or she would be stuck high for hours.

We used them during the fall for a while (no longer honeymooning) & they worked well.

I can't speak to the ingredients, but they can't be much worse than regular granola bars.

3. MOM to KELLSE

MOM to KELLSE Approved members

We used them last summer also...my DD attended a twirling camp that was held at a water park...she would twirl all day in the TX heat then go to the water park for about 3-4 hours....they really helped keep her Bg's up and I didn't cover for them and had to use one in the morning and also half of one at nite going to bed...she drops alot after exercise. Hope that helps some!

4. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Approved members

I believe the secret ingredient is cornstarch, and mixing cornstarch into milk works in a similar way. There used to be a recipe for something that worked in a similar way but I cannot find it

5. Tigerlilly's mom

Tigerlilly's mom Approved members

just stir 1 Tablespoon of cornstarch (7g of long-acting carb) into food
    mix a tablespoon of cornstarch into some pudding, ice cream, yogurt, etc.. it's the "secret" ingredient in those expensive bars.
    Cornstarch is very slowly digested, helps keep the bgs up for a long time.

OR

Ingredients
    4 oz. (by weight - 1/2 8oz. cup) plain lowfat (1.5%) yogurt
    (CHO - 8 gms., Pro - 5.5 gms., Fat - 2 gms.)
    1/4 c. unsweetened applesauce
    (CHO 7.5 gms., Pro - 0, Fat - 0)
    1 level Tablespoon cornstarch
    (CHO 7 gms., Pro - 0, Fat - 0)
    ground cinnamon to taste
    (free)

Instructions
    Mix ingredients together. Refrigerate any uneaten portion.

130 Calories, 5.5 g Protein, 22.5 g Carbo, 2 g Fat

6. monkeyschool

monkeyschool Approved members

You guys are awesome! Thank you so much. Should I expect these to raise her level or to sustain her level?

7. MOM to KELLSE

MOM to KELLSE Approved members

when we used them they raised her a little bit but not much...but they helped keep her from going low...we where on a reduced basal and hardly covered any carbs...it was very hot and our day started at 6am and didn't end until late at night...I would just go for it and see how they work for your DD...good luck!