- advertisement -

Express scripts

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by mom2Hanna, Dec 16, 2013.

1. mom2Hanna

mom2Hanna Approved members

We just got a letter from them saying as of January 1st, they won't pay anything towards Hanna's freestyle test strips because one touch is the preferred brand. Anyone have success fighting something like this?

2. swellman

swellman Approved members

100% out of pocket?!?

Wow, but we gave up on Freestyle and went with OneTouch Verio IQ a long time ago and never looked back. $10 for 1100 for 3 months.

3. mom2Hanna

mom2Hanna Approved members

So you carry, your pdm and a separate meter. What a pain.

4. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

We just switched to the Verio from Aviva because of Express Scripts, and my daughter says the small strips are really hard to handle if she's low.:(

5. caspi

caspi Approved members

My understanding is that since you're using it with the Omnipod you should be able to get an override/letter of medical necessity.

6. sincity2003

sincity2003 Approved members

Try getting your test strips through your DME coverage on your medical plan. We were paying Express Scripts $360 for a 90 day supply..we went through our DME coverage and paid $80 for a 3 month supply and there is no brand excluded.

7. swellman

It's tiny and fits in the Omnipod Kit so, in effect, it takes no extra space so ... no pain whatsoever.

And, for the savings of around $800 per year, and the fact that I think it's way more accurate it's really a no-brainer for us.

It is no different than any pump without an integrated meter.

First world problems, I guess.

Yea, I don't get this. The strips are pretty much the same size and take the same blood sample. The only thing I don't like is that the testing side is up towards the cap and you have to touch the testing area to get the strips out. I usually invert all the strips in the container for this reason. Otherwise they are as effective and as easy as the Freestyle strips IMO. The "front" and "back" could be better colored.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2013
  8. mamattorney

mamattorney Approved members

In reference to the Aviva vs. Verio strips; I just wanted to chime in to say the Aviva's strips are huge. When we switched from the Nano (we have a Verio IQ too - strips are comparable to the Nano) I was surprised at the difference in size of the strips for two meters from the same company.

9. Ali

Ali Approved members

The separate devices issue is interesting. I use a pump, meter and CGMS. So depending on the set up I can have three devices. For me it is a pain. The pump CGMS integration is the most convenient but I also love having the meter speak to the pump. It just means when I scroll back to problem solve all my data is integrated without extra effort. Sounds silly but when you check ten or more times a day for what forty to eighty years it does become huge.
    Ali

10. swellman

When we were using the integrated meter in the OmniPod I would estimate at least half the time we tested and discussed what to do and had to enter the BG all over again because it timed out. The additional meter is so tiny and fits easily into the case that holds the PDM. Maybe over 80 years it would add up to an inconvenience ... accuracy notwithstanding.

11. Melissata

Melissata Approved members

Why do you feel the One Touch is more accurate? The study done recently by the AADE suggests the opposite. I don't know how to link PDF's, but it is easy to find by googling accuracy of blood glucose meters.

12. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

We use OneTouch Ping and the CGM. We are finding that it is extremely accurate, at least once a day the numbers are almost exactly the same between meter/CGM. So for us, we've always had good luck. Hate that after all these years, you still need a large drop of blood.

Does the Verio take a smaller sample?

13. ksartain

ksartain Approved members

We don't have Express Scripts, but we chose to stick with our Contour meter when we went to Omnipod. It is cheaper for us to get those strips through the pharmacy and with the Contour script card than it would be to go with the Freestyle strips. $15/month vs. $45/month. The difference pays for half the monthly pod cost.

We're switching insurance January 1, so we'll see what happens then. :/

14. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

The Verio uses 0.4 rather than 1.0 of the other One Touch meters.

15. swellman

They didn't test the Freestyle nor the Verio IQ - I'm perplexed as to why. The Verio IQ meets the new ISO standard and the Freestyle does not.

When we switched we had notable differences in A1c, which was much closer to predicted values based on the Verio IQ, and CGM accuracy. We were late to the bandwagon of the Freestyle strips being off - probably due to two 3 month shipments that were spread out over 7-8 months. But we got a batch that was really poor.

I also did my own study with about 12 meters and the Verio IQ was in the top 2 or 3 and the Freestyle based ones were all over the place. Not the Freestyle Lite mind you - I seem to remember they were Ok.

Also, comparing the device you are calibrating to the device you are calibrating with is a nonsensical comparison. The result should be the same regardless of the accuracy of the meter.