advertisement

Expired Insulin....need advice

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Pauji5, Oct 11, 2012.

1. Pauji5

Pauji5 Approved members

what is the "real" cut off that people have used expired insulin? I have many bottles of novolog that have never been opened that expired March, 2012..... I feel sick throwing so much out.....

any thoughts?

2. caspi

caspi Approved members

Toss it. The insulin I have in my fridge now has expiration dates in 2014, so you can just imagine how old your insulin is.

3. Jason's mom

Jason's mom Approved members

For other prescriptions, our pharmacist (or maybe doctor...?) has told us in the past that the"real" expiration date is generally about 12 months after the printed date. Have you checked with your pharmacist?

4. Jaredsmom

Jaredsmom Approved members

Personally I would toss it I wouldn't take a chance with insulin after it is our kids lifeline. This is the one thing I would never ever use past the expiration date.

5. sarahspins

sarahspins Approved members

I would toss it.

6. Deal

Deal Approved members

I wouldn't hesitate to use it for 6 more months as long as it has been stored in a consistently cool location.

7. Pauji5

Pauji5 Approved members

well, we filled her pod 4 hours ago, and so far, great numbers....I'll just keep checking and hoping!

8. LoveMyHounds

LoveMyHounds Approved members

I would give it a try too :p.

9. Pauji5

Pauji5 Approved members

16 hours later, woke up at 125, no unusual highs.....I'll keep using it, but monitor it closely....

10. ashtensmom

ashtensmom Approved members

Hi. I don't know about insulin, but with oral meds, they lose their potency by about 1/2 by the time they reach expiry (I work in pharmacy). So, just keep that in mind when adjusting dosage when you start using "in-date" insulins again. To be safe, I would have your pharmacist contact drug company to ask about toxicity of expired insulin (whether it is or not). For example, acetaminophen (if I remember correctly) is somewhat toxic when expired. Better safe than sorry.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2012
  11. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

It's not like they lose their potency by 1/2 on the date of expiration. It happens (slowly) over time.

I would have used it too, to be honest.

12. mom2ejca

mom2ejca Approved members

If you have a copy of "Type 1..." by Ragnar Hanas there is some information regarding storage of insulin in Chapter 13.

I looked up one of the studies that he annotated: http://care.diabetesjournals.org/content/26/9/2665.full

Some information from the above link that I found interesting:

"At expiry, regulatory requirements state that the insulin product must retain at least 95% of its labeled potency."

"At room temperature, the degradation of insulin is an approximately linear function. At elevated temperatures, insulin loses chemical potency, which is accelerated as the temperature increases. For example, at room temperature (77?F), insulin will lose <1.0% of its potency over 30 days, or <0.03% potency lost per day. In contrast, insulin stored in a refrigerator will lose <0.1% of its potency over 30 days (Lilly Research Laboratories, data on file)."

"In conclusion, the recommended in-use period for insulin is based primarily on a number of factors and regulatory requirements, particularly relating to sterility of the product. Chemical and biological potency are not the determining factors in storage recommendations for insulins."

13. Debdebdebby13

Debdebdebby13 Approved members

Good info, thanks!